• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WiFi 6 Router

System Name Dark Flash Phantom
Processor i9-9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Z390 AORUS MASTER
Cooling RBG 2000 to 6000 rpm Fans
Memory 64Gb DDR4 3800Mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Super
Storage 5 Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD Drives
Display(s) 55 inch Sony
Case Darkflash Phantom
Power Supply 1300 Watt
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 / Linux Duel Boot
Benchmark Scores https://www.gpumagick.com/scores/show.php?id=34679 https://valid.x86.fr/cs4dc6
I made the jump and bought the WiFi 6 Router

Upgraded my wifi nic cards on my pc and laptop sure is nice getting 2.4 Gbps wifi speeds on a laptop :)

Capture.JPG

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Too bad the actual performance is anywhere near that, it still doesn't even match gigabit wired. :(

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Too bad the actual performance is anywhere near that, it still doesn't even match gigabit wired. :(

There is a certain popular web site out there that would test flagship routers by testing two of the routers 6ft from one another (one as the router and the other in bridge mode). I would say to my myself; "Fantastic, $500+ worth of equipment to give me half the speed of a $10 Cat5e cable (at the time) and with higher latency."

I made the jump and bought the WiFi 6 Router

Upgraded my wifi nic cards on my pc and laptop sure is nice getting 2.4 Gbps wifi speeds on a laptop :)

View attachment 160127

Which router did you go with? Any issues with older clients?

System Name Dark Flash Phantom
Processor i9-9900KS @ 5.3Ghz
Motherboard Z390 AORUS MASTER
Cooling RBG 2000 to 6000 rpm Fans
Memory 64Gb DDR4 3800Mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Super
Storage 5 Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD Drives
Display(s) 55 inch Sony
Case Darkflash Phantom
Power Supply 1300 Watt
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11 / Linux Duel Boot
Benchmark Scores https://www.gpumagick.com/scores/show.php?id=34679 https://valid.x86.fr/cs4dc6

its limited to my gigabyte port on my nas but ill be upgrading that to 10 gigabyte as soon as my nic card for my nas gets here then i should see higher transfer speeds. I see the same download and upload speed as i do wired with gigabyte network cards.. I did a transfer over wireless using 6g on my desktop pc . So saying its not as fast as hard wired gigabyte nic card isnt true it's just as fast wireless. Picture below in using wireless wifi 6 downloading from my nas.

Ill do a wifi 6 to wifi 6 connection from my laptop to my pc and get those results im betting since i have m2 drives in both my laptop and my pc it should speed up.

wifi 6 speed to nas.JPG

There is a certain popular web site out there that would test flagship routers by testing two of the routers 6ft from one another (one as the router and the other in bridge mode). I would say to my myself; "Fantastic, $500+ worth of equipment to give me half the speed of a $10 Cat5e cable (at the time) and with higher latency."

Which router did you go with? Any issues with older clients?

I went with Asus RT-AX88U
Ultrafast WiFi Speed - 6000Mbps WiFi speed

No problems with older clients so far.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
its limited to my gigabyte port on my nas but ill be upgrading that to 10 gigabyte as soon as my nic card for my nas gets here then i should see higher transfer speeds. I see the same download and upload speed as i do wired with gigabyte network cards.. I did a transfer over wireless using 6g on my desktop pc . So saying its not as fast as hard wired gigabyte nic card isnt true it's just as fast wireless. Picture below in using wireless wifi 6 downloading from my nas.

Ill do a wifi 6 to wifi 6 connection from my laptop to my pc and get those results im betting since i have m2 drives in both my laptop and my pc it should speed up.

wifi 6 speed to nas.JPG

I'd like to see the actual task manager graph on that, because of the ~50 WiFi6 installs I've done so far, even with the laptop right next to the access point, the best it ever actually gave was in the 400Mbps range.

wifi6.png

Of course this is with a laptop, I'd guess a desktop card with external antennas might do a little better, but there is never any reason to run a desktop on WiFi.

Last edited: