• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WiFi disconnecting issue with 2 different laptops - No other devices have issues

Long story short, I bought an Acer Swift 3 and had issues with it. Blue screens with stop codes, WiFi cutting out. Returned the laptop, got a replacement. It was fine other than the WiFi cutting out on it at home. I returned that laptop too, thinking the second one was bunk.

I picked up another laptop, an HP Pavilion 15t, and I'm still having the same WiFi issues. These issues seem to only be specific to the laptops I am buying. No other WiFi devices in my house have a single issue.

Both the Acer and the HP had different WiFi cards, Intel/Realtek, so I don't think that the issue is related to the card. Both computers use Kaby Lake U CPU's with nVidia MX150 video cards.

If it helps, I have an Asus RT-AC68U router on the latest firmware it can check for 3.0.0.4.384_45149-g467037b

WiFi power saver settings are set to Maximum Performance, and drivers have been updated.

I've attached a wlan report, maybe someone can take a look? (be sure to download the file to your PC)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AHyqA4PBvbE0jTg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
@shoman24v

So searching against that Realtek device, some folks say to use a different driver. Looking at your logs, it appears that your most common disconnect reason reported by Windows is the driver:

1549733878168.png

1549733959209.png

1549733979524.png

1549734028686.png

Link to HP site stating someone else used different drivers to resolve: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...1CE-constant-wifi-dropout/m-p/6877022#M157293

You mention you've installed the latest drivers, did you rely on Windows Update for that or did you acquire them from the laptop MFG or wireless vendor? I'd suggest the latter two, starting with laptop MFG first, but sometimes you gotta go with the vendor drivers to beat out some existing bugs.

https://community.spiceworks.com/to...onnection-drop-intermittently-troubleshooting

Have you rebooted the Asus AC-68U? I run that same router as a wireless access point and haven't had any issues with it...granted I'm running on MerlinWRT (modded AsusWRT), but WiFi should be stable on either firmware and was for me. The interesting aspect is that you've experienced this across multiple different devices... well the two laptops rather.

How many other wifi devices are in your house and how many of them are AC?

Another thing worth thinking about is seeing if you need to change what channel your wireless network is on to deal with potential interference. You can download a program like Acrylic for Windows to scan various wireless networks and see what channels they're using, then adjust your wireless router for the channel with the least usage.

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan...oftware-tools/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

With MerlinWRT the Asus AC-68U can also scan other networks and channels to help you decide, but it does take some work to get over to that firmware from the version you're on. May or may not be worth it. I'd exercise other options first because you should have stable wifi as-is and you do for other devices.

@Kursah I just want to say you explained that super well and included a lot of great links! Now I know where to go for my networking issues...:lovetpu:

@shoman24v

So searching against that Realtek device, some folks say to use a different driver. Looking at your logs, it appears that your most common disconnect reason reported by Windows is the driver:

View attachment 116119
View attachment 116120
View attachment 116121
View attachment 116122

Link to HP site stating someone else used different drivers to resolve: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...1CE-constant-wifi-dropout/m-p/6877022#M157293

You mention you've installed the latest drivers, did you rely on Windows Update for that or did you acquire them from the laptop MFG or wireless vendor? I'd suggest the latter two, starting with laptop MFG first, but sometimes you gotta go with the vendor drivers to beat out some existing bugs.

https://community.spiceworks.com/to...onnection-drop-intermittently-troubleshooting

Have you rebooted the Asus AC-68U? I run that same router as a wireless access point and haven't had any issues with it...granted I'm running on MerlinWRT (modded AsusWRT), but WiFi should be stable on either firmware and was for me. The interesting aspect is that you've experienced this across multiple different devices... well the two laptops rather.

How many other wifi devices are in your house and how many of them are AC?

Another thing worth thinking about is seeing if you need to change what channel your wireless network is on to deal with potential interference. You can download a program like Acrylic for Windows to scan various wireless networks and see what channels they're using, then adjust your wireless router for the channel with the least usage.

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan...oftware-tools/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

With MerlinWRT the Asus AC-68U can also scan other networks and channels to help you decide, but it does take some work to get over to that firmware from the version you're on. May or may not be worth it. I'd exercise other options first because you should have stable wifi as-is and you do for other devices.
@Kursah

I just installed the HP driver in the first link you sent. Seems to be okay from a driver standpoint.

Regarding how I installed the driver... I first did a clean restore on an SSD I installed. It reinstalled Windows as if it was out of the box using a USB drive created from the HP software. I did the HP updates through HP support Assistant, which I believe included some WiFi updates. Same issues I have been experiencing. I then decided to do a complete wipe of my SSD and do a clean install of Windows. First I let Windows Update install my drivers. No change. Then, I installed HP Support Assistant after, then installed the WiFi drivers. Same issue. I even went to Realtek's site and downloaded drivers from there. Same problems. So, I don't know how much of it is a driver issue as they all had issues.

I have many devices in my house, an old hacked 2008 iMac running Mojave, an Android Pixel and Pixel 3, my desktop PC, my wife's 2018 iPad 9.7", a Nest thermostat, Amazon Fire stick... no issues. I'm fairly certain my phone is AC, not sure about the others. All I know is everything else does not have the issues that this and my last laptop had.

I logged into my router. I changed the channel to something not being used within range. So we'll see. At least your information gives me some insight as to what is going on. I'll report back as I notice changes.

Thank you!

Just following up with this thread. I ended up doing a clean WiFi driver install (before I just installed the one in the link without uninstalling) and changed the channel on my router. It's been several days now without any noticeable issues.

I appreciate the help!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Just following up with this thread. I ended up doing a clean WiFi driver install (before I just installed the one in the link without uninstalling) and changed the channel on my router. It's been several days now without any noticeable issues.

I appreciate the help!

its always appreciated when someone comes back with the solution, thanks