• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WIFI speed Questions. 2.4GHz Please explain. Wifi speed on 2. 4 GHz?

Cai

Hi,

I have several questions about wifi speed generally and on some router models.

1. What are they and how much is the real 2.4 Ghz wifi speed on ASUS ROG Rapture WiFi 6E (GT-AXE11000), TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000 (Archer AX50), additionally ASUS ROG Rapture WiFi 6 (GT-AX11000) and TP-Link AX6000 WiFi 6 (Archer AX6000).
2. How much is the speed of 2.4 Ghz wifi?
3. Why do some people tell me 2.4 Ghz wifi speed can't go more than 40-50 Mbps when all those and more routers advertise 500+Mbps on 2.4Ghz ??
4. I am not asking a review of Tp-Link products I am asking questions about real performance of the advertised and real 2.4GHz wifi speed of Asus routers also, because I don't understand completely different opinions.
5. An ISP person told me that no router in the world can go more that 40-50 Mbps wifi speed on 2.4Ghz. Why do all those expensive routers on amazon state differently??
6. What is Speedport plus and how much is it's wifi 2.4 Ghz speed?

Please tell me in that order and additionally your opinion, because I would like to know before investing.

Additionally I am 5 meters away from the router and 2.4 Ghz goes through walls and wooden doors........

Thank you.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Remember, Google is your friend.

You can look at the published specs for the devices you mention. The speeds will be listed in megabits per second or Mbps. But note that is the maximum speed under ideal conditions. And there are many factors that impact that speed, including distance, the number of other devices on that same wifi network, and almost importantly, the speed of the adapter used by the connected device.

It is the weakest link scenario. The connection will assume the speed of the slowest point in the connection, then basically go downhill from there.

2.4GHz is the frequency of the radio band being used. 5GHz is the other common band. Don't confuse frequency with speed. Though linked, they are not the same thing.

Your ISP contact is wrong. The maximum "theoretical" speed for the 2.4GHz band is 150Mbps. But that likely will never happen, except in a very controlled ideal scenario. 450 to 600Mbps is more likely the maximum under real-world conditions. But that rapidly decreases with distance, the number of other devices, the number of barriers (walls, floors, ceilings), the construction and contents of those barriers (brick walls vs wall board, or if filled with wires and metal pipe).

The 5GHz band can support upto 1300Mbps but again, that is under very controlled conditions. Still, if both ends support 5GHz, that is the better way to go because it is much faster and a much less crowded band. HOWEVER, the 5GHz band is greatly limited by distance and barriers due to the much shorter wavelength. So in my house, 25 feet through one interior wall-board wall is the maximum I can use 5Ghz. Beyond that and I have to use 2.4Ghz - or old reliable, Ethernet.