1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wikipedia Reaches Ten Million Articles

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Earlier this week the Wikimedia Foundation reached a significant new milestone: on Thursday, March 27, at 00:07 UTC the official article count for all Wikipedias combined reached 10 million. The ten millionth article, a short biography of 16th century English goldsmith and painter Nicholas Hilliard, was created in the Hungarian Wikipedia by user Pataki Márta.

Wikipedia now boasts articles in more than 250 languages, with the English Wikipedia having the largest number, followed in descending order by the German, French, Polish, Japanese, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Spanish, and Swedish Wikipedias. The project is also experiencing rapid growth in many young Wikipedias, including Marathi, Tagalog, and Cantonese.

Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation, remarked on the occasion of this milestone, "It's incredible to think that we've grown from one Wikipedia in English to over 250 language Wikipedias. Ten million articles is something we could never have imagined happening so fast when we embarked on Wikipedia in 2001. This is a testament to the incredible dedication of our volunteers around the world."

In December 2007, the German magazine Stern announced in an independent study of 50 articles that the German Wikipedia was more accurate, complete and up-to-date than the longstanding print encyclopedia Brockhaus. In April 2007, a study conducted by the Hewlett Packard Information Dynamics Laboratory found that the best articles on the English Wikipedia are those that have been edited the most frequently, by the largest number of people. It concluded that the correlation between article quality and the number of edits validates Wikipedia as a successful collaborative effort.

Similar studies around the world continue to point to the increasing accuracy and quality of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that is written, edited and maintained by a global community of thousands of volunteers.

Source: Wikipedia

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Of with 14 are authored by me, yay!

3. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Oh, yeah bta!? IF you could PM me with that I'd love to read them! I love wikipedia. Once you find out something, you can let the whole world know! One of the best web based informational services EVER!

4. csendesmark

csendesmark

Thanks Received:
    I like Wikipedia!
    Free kownledge ;)

5. 1c3d0g

1c3d0g

Thanks Received:
    Wikipedia is great...I learned a lot about everything there. :)

6. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I usually hit Wikipedia for information instead of manufacturer's own websites.

Intel chipset information - intel.com is the last place I want to go ;) :D

7. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's great hear/see a song by a band you have no knowledge, wiki them and be enlightened :) Must be my #2 after google.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. FilipM

FilipM

Thanks Received:
    Wikipedia has a contribution of 1 article from my side. :rolleyes:

9. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, congrats wikipedia. Where was this when I was in high school and college :roll:

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    haha yeah no shit!!! would have been hella handy!:toast: