1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will Defragging My HDD Once a Day Kill It?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Flava0ne, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Flava0ne

Flava0ne

Thanks Received:
    I know that defragmenting your hard drive may involve a lot of seeking as the hard drive rearranges its data in a contiguous fashion, but will doing this once a day shorten my hard drive's life span? When I defrag, I use PerfectDisk 10 with the SMARTPlacement defrag and also do the boot time defrag right after.

2. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:
    I imagine it would shorten the life span, also your hard drive is a pretty modern one, you won't have to defrag that often, after nearly a year my old Samsung 500gb drive was only 1% fragmented.

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't think it would shorten the drive's life all that much. If you are de-fragmenting every day, chances are that the drive will not get that fragmented, so after the initial defragment, the amount of seeks/read/write cycles should be at a minimum.

Though I don't really see why you would want to defragment every day, that seems a bit excessive to me. What are you doing to the drive that is causing it to fragment enough to warrant a defragment every day?

I schedule my defrags weekly, and even then they only run if the drive is 2% fragemented or more, which means they rarely actually run.

How modern the drive is has nothing to do with how fragmented it is/will get. It is all about how the data is written to the drive.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    It might shorten the life a bit, but not enough for you to worry about. I defragment the drive in my laptop and my main rig about every other month, and it keeps them working fine.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    No, that killing the HD idea is an urban myth and was comprehensively debunked by Techarp.

6. Flava0ne

Flava0ne

Thanks Received:
    Nothing really, I just do it cause it takes no longer than 5-10 minutes to complete. When I used to do it weekly, it would take at least 45-60 minutes and sometimes a bit longer to complete.

7. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:
    Would of thought they'd have had better controllers on the HDD PCB etc.

Newer drives do seem to fragment less at any rate.

My IDE drives needed defragging every month and were approx 30% fragmented.

8. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    You should only be concerned with defragging your hard drive about once a month. You honestly should not need to defrag it every day. Since you use PD10 you should only defrag those files that it designates as fragmented in between months.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Why would you defrag your hard drive every day? Your hard drive doesn't get fragmented unless you put stuff on it. Only defrag after you make a large instillation (like a video game) or move a bunch of files.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I tell you what's strange. I work in IT and when I look at user's computers I see that just using the PC with limited rights and storing everything on a network drive (nothing saved to the local HD) fragments them badly. This goes for both Win2k & XP.

Especially the older Win2K machines will have solid red showing in the defragger and run like treacle. Defragging them improves the response times significantly.

Why it should fragment like this I don't know.

11. qubit

Thanks Received:
    No-one seems to have noticed my definitive answer to this thread's question in post 5, so here it is again, FlavaOne:

No, that killing the HD idea is an urban myth and was comprehensively debunked by Techarp.

ste2425 says thanks.
  12. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Shorten life span no, not at all as you all so saving the heads from seeking all over the platters each time it has to find a file that could be spread all over the disk.

You be moving less doing it day by day as there be less to move. Although if say My Documents were near the start of the drive and files were added to that folder it would have to rearrange all the files to put every thing in place.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So because you posted that the conversation is supposed to stop, and all opinions are worthless?

1) who the hell is techarp????

2) seems to be one mans opinion as well. and just in text with no valid proof to his claims!

Carry on members, and take this for what you want.

fullinfusion and odameyer say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    NCQ has helped, but really the drive has little to do with where data is placed on the drive, the program/OS writing the data to the drive contols where it goes on the drive, and how it is fragmented.

For the most part, modern OSes have gotten better about keeping drive fragmentation to a minimum.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Sheesh, are you a moderator or a troll? You're manner is extremely rude and offensive. This is not the first time you've behaved this way towards me, either.

16. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    So was your double post of the same exact thing....that to me is offensive and rude, as if we are all to ignorant to have read your post.

If you would like to continue this discussion please do so via PM's as not to continue a mess in this thread.

I appologize for stating the obvious in an unsugarcoated manner to keep form hurting your feelings.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Nah, you didn't hurt my feelings - don't fret, ok?

Your points were wrong and had you not behaved so unprofessionally, I would have been happy to discuss them with you.

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  18. pantherx12

pantherx12

Thanks Received:
    By the by, in my opinion defragging your drive every day will shorten the life span, not by a huge deal, but any extra physical movement shortens the life span.

19. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Say what you will my points still are valid.

You make it appear as Teckarp is the gospel

There isnt any sort of benching of the drives to back up the text...so just another opinion.

and the last bit that you needed to post it twice...insinuating you had the most difinative answer on the planet.

Now if you arent going to address the questions then dont comment any further, we have all seen your post the first time. the second posting is in fact trolling, even if you were trying to help. KTHXBYE

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, I don't know what KTHXBYE means? :confused:

I've substituted wrong for bogus, btw, as I don't feel that was fair or accurate of me. Now let's see some fairness from you...

Finally, if you don't understand how your manner is offensive and inflammatory, then I'm not interested in addressing any of the points your making to me, in public or PM.

Hey, aren't you mods supposed to set an example in good, polite behaviour?? You aren't doing your job properly, my friend.

21. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The fact you posted the same post twice is what was rude. All of us here can read, and read your post we did. You share the same opinion as that techarp article. Some of us don't share that opinion. That's what discussion boards are for. This discussion needn't go any further. Stay on topic please.

On topic:

My advise is do what you want. If you are a normal end user then, no. Defragging daily will not harm your HDD in any way. There is no difference between defragging for 10 minutes a day or 20 minutes every two days. The same workload is being placed on the drive.

sneekypeet says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  22. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Sure, I don't normally double post like that and I would have been perfectly happy to discuss it all with Sneeky. But insulting and flaming me like that is seriously not on, especially from a mod, so no discussion.

Look, you've disagreed with me a few times, yet you're always courteous and professional, so we're cool. :toast: I expect that same high standard from all the mods here.

23. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yet you continue the discussion after I asked not to. Leading me to have to say this again. I ask you use the same respect for the moderation as you would any other member or yourself.

Thanks. Stay on topic. Last warning. :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Don't answer my points and a gag order. Whatever.

25. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    qubit says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU