1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

will my psu be enough???

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by KoRnMaN, Aug 25, 2008.

1. KoRnMaN New Member

Thanks Received:
    im currently running my system on a akasa 460w power supply(check sytem specs), and has been the best power supply i have ever owned(quiet, stable, small, long cables).

Ive have ordered myself a intel q6600 and going to be overclocking it to 3.6ghz or more if possible.

Will my psu be enough to power it all?

2. Fastmix

Fastmix New Member

Thanks Received:
    How many drives..video card...what else will be sucking power?

3. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Maybe. One way to find out.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. KoRnMaN New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes i think i mite risk it just scared of what mite happen. I would like a corsair psu but very tight on cash atm. :(

5. Fastmix

Fastmix New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unless you are planning to run sli..you could give it a try, if you see system instability you will know where it is coming from.

KoRnMaN says thanks.
  6. KoRnMaN New Member

Thanks Received:
    im gonna give it try and see how it goes.
    Hopefully all will be stable...what would be the best option if a new psu is needed? i was looking at the Corsair HX 620W as it is cheap and very popular.
    But would this one be enought for sli aswell?
    if i do need to get a new psu i wanna get one thats gonna be future proof.

7. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    I THINK the corsair only has 2 pci-e connecotrs , but I`m sure someone will correct me if it doesn`t

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. usntom New Member

Thanks Received:
    on side of power supply is a sticker with numbers on it!!! look for the 12volt rail amps are now they have 6 and 4 connectors just for videocards.. look at the card manufator see what it says of how many amps needed..in all my builds of computers i learned that what you have connected to supply and what it pushes out should be a concearn to you. you dont need to be a tech to figuare out how to add together totals and match against your power supply.example most supplys only meet certain motherboard specs. say your videocard needs 45 amps in both the 6 and 4 prong plugs together say they only put out 39 amps from power supply. the board will work for awile then it will start giving you problems down road. just match your needs in a power supply..back then 12voly rails for the videocard was a start i beleive in the 5000 series videocards
    ATI folllowed suit with the 12volt rail or added power to cards. now its changed to 6 and 4 prong plugs and demand for power is up bigtime. hope this was helpfull

9. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    It will cut it close but you will be fine kornman. If you do plan on "SLI"-ing, the corsair psu would supply whats needed plus a little extra.