1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will New Drivers Improve Performance?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by reze-daniel, Jun 28, 2007.

1. reze-daniel

reze-daniel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was just wondering if any new Nvidia drivers for my 8600GT might improve its performance in some applications? Or its reached its max potential which is just a bit better than a 7600GT?
    I'm mainly playing Oblivion for now which i think is a big enough stress test for this card.
    (Eagerly waiting for :respect:Episode 2)

I upgraded from an old computer with a Radeon9600 so i got a great deal and im satisfied, i came from an old generation to a new one.

I was also wondering if there are any more 'Heavier games', im interested in seeing if my temps will rise above 71-72C in a more graphically intense title.
    Thanks!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. hat

hat Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I always download the newest version anyway... most likely they will be better for you, as nVidia had some troubles with the 8 series...

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. xylomn

xylomn

Thanks Received:
    Installing the latest drivers can sometimes improve performance... imo installing the latest drivers is always a good idea especially with the new generation of cards as both nvidia and ati are constantly fixing bugs in their drivers.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. ADV4NCED Guest

Some games you can try: Stalker, Supreme Commander, C&C 3: Tiberium Wars (not too intensive but its still a good game :p:D ), 3D Mark06, Crysis (when its out), Unreal Tournament 2007.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    i second the games mentioned. You can also look at The Awakened (this is intense), Silverfall, HOMMV:HoF, etc.

drivers usually tweak the settings of the card to improve detail, etc.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt bother upgrading drivers if your not getting any problems. Usually drivers can only make small improvements in performance.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    True, drivers mainly fix problems, if you don't have any don't bother. However if people report big boosts in performance you should go for them of course. New drivers can also introduce new problems though. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. GermanJew New Member

Thanks Received:
    I also have a 8600GT and im very impressed.
    I recomend dl'ing the latest drivers anyway, install them and run a few benchmark tests, compare these results with previous results obtained and c 4 ur self whether there was an improvement.
    Another thing worth noting is that no 2 PC's r the same, me and my friend both had a 5700 from the same supplier and received better frame rates with different drivers as our PC's differed considerably (he had Intel and I had AMD).

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I recommend downloading the NGO drivers, I saw quite a large increase in performance (10-20fps increase in Obliv) when using them, and they support the 8600 now :)

10 Year Member at TPU