• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will you upgrade to Intel Skylake?

Will you upgrade to Intel Skylake?

• Yes, very soon

Votes: 1,326 7.5%
  • Yes, around Christmas time

Votes: 989 5.6%
  • Waiting for DDR4 prices to come down

Votes: 1,988 11.2%
  • No, not a big upgrade for me

Votes: 12,198 68.5%
  • Waiting for the cheaper models

Votes: 1,294 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
Exactly what is it that you've been smoking. I've got to get me some of it.

Do you try to insult everyone you disagree with? I think it is best to treat others with respect personally.

I group things up into uses rather than Intel's marketing groups. I will do my best to explain what I was getting at more completely. I was referring to choosing between four fast cores, 6 to 8 fairly fast cores, and having lots of slower clocked cores for heavily multi-threaded tasks with the high end server grade Xeons. Xeon high end server offerings are best for heavily multi-threaded needs and most programs that are computational heavy now support as many cores as you can throw at it (think solidworks and amount of cores within reason of course). Game benchmarks, last time I checked, always yield best or same results regardless of core count at 4 or above and scale mainly on frequency and IPC of said cores. So reaching higher clocks on sockets 1155, 1150, or 1151 would be most beneficial on gaming while the workstation offerings with socket 2011 and 2011 v3 can't reach that high right? So 2011 and 2011 v3 would be good at both but not best at either unless you are reaching higher clocks on those sockets. Now if you can get higher clocks on the workstation offerings now with liquid or air cooling in general regarding 2011 v3, then I suppose that could be better for that use as long as the individual wants to cover that higher cost and power consumption for gaming use. The 6700K I have is free so no need to bring up its cost in the discussion to me personally unless you just want to continue with personal attacks for some reason. Not trying to get you excited. I was hoping for a discussion. I might be able to learn something from you if you know something I don't. That is the goal of my discussions here and should be the goal of most on this site with the exchange of ideas and concepts here.

Do you try to insult everyone you disagree with? I think it is best to treat others with respect personally.

I group things up into uses rather than Intel's marketing groups. I will do my best to explain what I was getting at more completely. I was referring to choosing between four fast cores, 6 to 8 fairly fast cores, and having lots of slower clocked cores for heavily multi-threaded tasks with the high end server grade Xeons. Xeon high end server offerings are best for heavily multi-threaded needs and most programs that are computational heavy now support as many cores as you can throw at it (think solidworks and amount of cores within reason of course). Game benchmarks, last time I checked, always yield best or same results regardless of core count at 4 or above and scale mainly on frequency and IPC of said cores. So reaching higher clocks on sockets 1155, 1150, or 1151 would be most beneficial on gaming while the workstation offerings with socket 2011 and 2011 v3 can't reach that high right? So 2011 and 2011 v3 would be good at both but not best at either unless you are reaching higher clocks on those sockets. Now if you can get higher clocks on the workstation offerings now with liquid or air cooling in general regarding 2011 v3, then I suppose that could be better for that use as long as the individual wants to cover that higher cost and power consumption for gaming use. The 6700K I have is free so no need to bring up its cost in the discussion to me personally unless you just want to continue with personal attacks for some reason. Not trying to get you excited. I was hoping for a discussion. I might be able to learn something from you if you know something I don't. That is the goal of my discussions here and should be the goal of most on this site with the exchange of ideas and concepts here.

I am so blithe with my response, because you were so quick to call an enthusiast platform a compromise because it resides between the realm of the mainstream and servers. Just because it isn't your choice, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist for a reason. A blithe response is not an insult.

I ask what you are smoking, because the justification negates itself. Core count being the only metric for relative performance (which is the frame for your initial argument) is just backwards, and artificially limiting your count to 4 being "master of value" with more than 10 being "master of servers" is an absolutely bizarre logical leap. You haven't accounted for the operational frequencies, the instruction sets, the vast gulf between motherboard pricing, and a bunch of other factors yet you write an entire classification of processors off as a "jack of all trades, but master of none."

As far as your follow-up explanation, I don't care. I say that not because you aren't eloquent, but because it doesn't matter. Just because your goal is gaming doesn't mean that you are the target market for something. I don't buy Xeon processors, despite the fact that they are great in servers. That doesn't mean that Xeon is somehow a compromise, only that I'm not the target audience. Likewise, I hate the iGPU on Intel CPUs, but that doesn't stop Intel from putting them there. The reason Intel has enthusiast offerings is because there are people who do things that require them. If I were you, I'd hold my feet to the fire when I said that. In anticipation of that, here's a few applications that would require the high frequencies of enthusiast chips, would require more cores, and would basically not be worth an insane investment into Xeon due to the cost structure:
Solidworks
Autocad
Adobe (pretty much anything)
Maya
Fluid rendering software
Thermal rendering software

You'll note that none of these programs is easy on calculation, but they do need a lot of them. Xeon excels in enormous numbers of small calculations. Enthusiast offerings offer immense numbers of complex calculations. Mainstream offerings offer small numbers of complex calculations. This is why the distinctions exist, not because your measuring stick matters. If Intel couldn't find customers, the enthusiast offerings would stop happening. That justification invalidates everything else you've said, even without the above explanation.

At no point did I directly insult you, unless having an altered perspective detached from reality is an insult. Heck, if it is stating you believe in God must be like an atheist putting their pants on their heads and running down the streets; akin to basically demonstrating insanity. Sometimes an altered perspective is necessary to see truth, but be prepared to justify it whenever asked. That is what is expected on a forum. If you wanted to post without a conversation you could go to Youtube.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
I am so blithe with my response, because you were so quick to call an enthusiast platform a compromise because it resides between the realm of the mainstream and servers. Just because it isn't your choice, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist for a reason. A blithe response is not an insult.

I ask what you are smoking, because the justification negates itself. Core count being the only metric for relative performance (which is the frame for your initial argument) is just backwards, and artificially limiting your count to 4 being "master of value" with more than 10 being "master of servers" is an absolutely bizarre logical leap. You haven't accounted for the operational frequencies, the instruction sets, the vast gulf between motherboard pricing, and a bunch of other factors yet you write an entire classification of processors off as a "jack of all trades, but master of none."

As far as your follow-up explanation, I don't care. I say that not because you aren't eloquent, but because it doesn't matter. Just because your goal is gaming doesn't mean that you are the target market for something.

At no point did I directly insult you, unless having an altered perspective detached from reality is an insult. Heck, if it is stating you believe in God must be like an atheist putting their pants on their heads and running down the streets; akin to basically demonstrating insanity. Sometimes an altered perspective is necessary to see truth, but be prepared to justify it whenever asked. That is what is expected on a forum. If you wanted to post without a conversation you could go to Youtube.

Saying someone is a drug user is an insult if it is stated just because someone has a different opinion. It's called manners, etiquette, or respect to not resort to name calling. I am guessing they didn't teach that where you went to school or are currently enrolled. Making strange antic scenarios in an attempt to discredit others is also insulting to just about anyone. Unchecked behavior like that is exactly what is wrong with our youngest generations in the United States. Although I would credit you with one thing, hiding behind a computer is much smarter than taking to people that way out in the world.

Saying someone is a drug user is an insult if it is stated just because someone has a different opinion. It's called manners, etiquette, or respect to not resort to name calling. I am guessing they didn't teach that where you went to school or are currently enrolled. Making strange antic scenarios in an attempt to discredit others is also insulting to just about anyone. Unchecked behavior like that is exactly what is wrong with our youngest generations in the United States. Although I would credit you with one thing, hiding behind a computer is much smarter than taking to people that way out in the world.

Wow. Apparently the use of drugs is a touchy subject. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

So we're clear, I supply products to tobacco growers in the state of North Carolina. If your signature is to be believed, you're from the central Piedmont area, which means that a substantial chunk of the local economy includes the revenue from tobacco growers. Tobacco is harvested, dried, and smoked.

If you want to take it as something more illegal, consider that a good chunk of our states have decriminalized marijuana, and some have even legalized it (despite the federal laws issue). You want to credit my generation with something, perhaps it's dealing with a long standing prison and legal system issue that previous generations created with the "War" on drugs. A war we lost when we said throwing people into jail was better than rehabilitating them. A war that has cost us more than Afghanistan. A war we are still fighting 30+ years after is began in earnest. A war which is bigger today than it ever has been, despite all of the arrests and busts.

I've dealt with plenty of people from Greensboro who still thump their bibles, and believe drugs are the devil. The same people who get drunk off their backsides and drive home from the bar on Saturday night. Perhaps the generational gap you cited is less about age, and more about how much we buy into other people telling us what to do. Alcohol and Tobacco alter perception, and they're legal; why is that acceptable but other things are regulated or illegal?

*rant over*

Your opinion is as good as it can be supported. The arguments counter to my opinion are:
1) You get DDR4 and DDR3 on a mainstream offering
2) Overclocking has been improved with FIVR being retired, so you're looking at near SB level overclocks with about a 25% performance increase due to better IPC and other improvements.
3) New instruction sets.
4) Reasonable pricing, for mainstream users.
5) A better iGPU.
6) A future upgrade path.
7) Better interconnection (SATA III, M2, etc...).

I've made your argument for you, which is somehow beyond your ability to simply cough up. Now allow me to destroy it.

1) DDR4 is still at an artificially inflated price, and it doesn't yet show appreciable improvement over DDR3 performance.
2) That 25% improvement is great. Unfortunately, it's about a 5% generational improvement. What you're telling me is that my previous upgrade options we basically buy a mostly new system (CPU or motherboard and CPU) to get a 5% improvement. Kinda seems like waiting until something proves itself out was the financially responsible choice. It also seems like pressure from the outside world made Intel retire FIVR. So tell me, what will Intel bring to the table during the next upgrade cycle? Will it be genuinely better than this, or will people buying up a minor improvement lead them to think minor improvements are accepted every generation? I can't really say anything as new as SB is letting me down, so what exactly is the impetus to go out and buy an entirely new system, and tell Intel 5% per generation is acceptable?
3) Interesting, but largely pointless to users. Gaming could use better instructions, but the larger focus in the coming years will be DX12, and graphics cards. This is a mainstream offering, so it's not like compute heavy users are rushing out to buy up chips that can run a new instruction, whenever they've invested in GPGPU calculations. New instructions are great, but largely pointless outside of niche applications.
4) Reasonable my aching behind. Yes, Intel has offered the chip with DDR3 and DDR4 memory options, but try finding a DDR3 board out there. The last time I checked the options were...minimal. That means a $300 CPU, a $200 Motherboard, and a $200 set of RAM to entirely populate the board. None of this includes an upgrade on the GPU, PSU, Storage, or the new OS to run the thing. We come down to brass tacks, and ask "is $700 a 'reasonable price' for a 25% CPU performance and substantially greater iGPU performance?" I said it wasn't, but if somebody walked up to me with an SB based laptop running on the iGPU I'd say they were going to do well with Skylake. Thing is, Skylake isn't yet available in laptops, so that point is moot.
5) If you're using the iGPU it's on a laptop or with a low end CPU. As such, you're not even getting the best iGPU Intel offers. Kinda seems backwards to be forced to pay $300 for an iGPU, when you could spend $200 for a CPU and get a discrete GPU for about $100 that outperforms the iGPU. Again, this is targeted at laptops, and not desktop users. A segment of the market that Skylake has yet to bring to bare.
6) Interesting, and I can't argue with it. Socket 1155 and 1150 are dead.
7) Assuming you own more than 2 SSDs this argument is worth while. Assuming you have the need for a RAID of more than 4 disks this argument holds water. Back in reality, mainstream offerings aren't meant for people like that. If they wanted, they could get a RAID card. If they needed more than 2 SSDs they really aren't just gaming. The argument is true, but again the divisions within the market make it a moot point.

So after all that the remaining argument is that you've got an upgrade path. The largest block in your path is that Skylake is functionally only out in the mainstream offerings, with enthusiast, server, and laptop implementations being some time off. Why then are you such a staunch defender of what you are?

You argue that enthusiast offerings are compromises, because they are too expensive for mainstream and don't offer better performance in mainstream applications. You argue that server focused loads don't run well on enthusiast offerings, chalked up to the raw number of cores server parts bring to bare. You follow this up without ever considering that somebody might use a system in a way that you can't fathom, because your perspective is, as your wording indicates, the only one which is correct. Tell me, why is that? The market says there is a use for enthusiast offerings. In fact, the market says that Intel has done a very good job segmenting its business. Their recent acquisitions basically say "we've successfully dominated the market, and it's time to splash some cash around." Despite apparent success, continued offerings, and a list of programs which demonstrate that other users can see a very real benefit to the enthusiast offerings, you've decided to stand your ground and "blame the youth" because they don't have your "correct" perspective.

I'm half way between thinking you're a Mailman style master troll, and just somebody who's gone rigid with age. Inflexibility has been the death knell for too many people's ideas. I'll try one last time here with an olive branch. Is there a reason to upgrade to Skylake? Demonstrably there is. Will I be upgrading to Skylake? No. As I stated, Skylake-e is the first genuine improvement to SB-e that will come, We aren't talking about that here, so Skylake (mainstream offerings) is a stupid upgrade for me. Whenever Skylake-e comes to the table we can talk. There's room for Skylake to exist, but to me it's another IB. You spend a good chunk of money, that you really won't see back in 5 years due to better gaming performance or lower power draw. If your only metric is gaming, go with Skylake. Otherwise, Skylake is a performance hop what is probably more expensive than it can ever return.

If you take umbrage, perhaps we can go back to the original argument. It wasn't whether Skylake-e had a purpose, it was whether you were going to upgrade to Skylake.

Edit:
Minor spelling changes.

Edit:
One last go here, because this has bothered me all weekend. I have basically been called a coward, because I supposedly wouldn't talk to people like this is real life. Allow me to counter.

In real life I've picked verbal fights with the people who believe in the Zionist conspiracy. I've had discussions with fundamental Christians and militant Atheists. I've spoken with orthodox Jews, and devout Muslims. Whenever people have strong beliefs it's your job to argue with them. It's the only way you can test the merits of your ideas, and to do anything less makes your argument indefensible. The mark of a truly great person is to have these arguments, and never allow them to have you. I've yet to master that, but so few people do in entire lifetimes.

You seem to want this to become an echo chamber. If that's the case, I recommend facebook and youtube. They both allow censorship to any conflicting ideas, without measure of their merit. This forum has always been different. If you can argue an idea, and make the point clear, you have had a voice. You can be wrong, but as long as you rectify your errors you've had a place.

It's a long diatribe, but let me boil this down. Argue a point, and speak your mind. When someone disagrees, answer the challenge. If you cannot answer the challenge, and must infer that the one making the argument is somehow deficient, you've lost already.

Tell me, exactly how old am I? What generation do I belong to? Where do I live? As none of this is apparent, your attempted attack on me is a failure. If I were prone to such asinine thoughts, I'd ask if "those damn kids should get off your lawn." Seems appropriate, after being called both a coward and a child, no?

Last edited:
Ok, where is the already have option? :D I love my FX 8350 but it would not overclock worth a crap. Also, I would be upgrading within a year anyways so I went ahead and upgraded my home computer. I figured that the 6700k will last me at least 3 years where the FX 8350 is already 3 year old tech and was not going to satisfy me 3 more years.

System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad T480
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i7-8550U Kaby Lake-R
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo 20L60036MX Bios 1.47
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo WN-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Nvidia GeForce MX™ 150 2GB GDDR5 Micron
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ SKHynix 256GB 2242 3x2
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | AUO 14" 1440p IPS
Case Asus Prime AP201 White Mesh | Lenowo T480 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | T480 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
hmm already got my i5-6600k so i can't vote already have :laugh:

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
Wow. Apparently the use of drugs is a touchy subject. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

One last go here, because this has bothered me all weekend. I have basically been called a coward, because I supposedly wouldn't talk to people like this is real life. Allow me to counter.

In real life I've picked verbal fights with the people who believe in the Zionist conspiracy. Whenever people have strong beliefs it's your job to argue with them. It's the only way you can test the merits of your ideas, and to do anything less makes your argument indefensible.

It's a long diatribe, but let me boil this down. Argue a point, and speak your mind. When someone disagrees, answer the challenge. If you cannot answer the challenge, and must infer that the one making the argument is somehow deficient

I will answer your direct statements in order to keep this brief. Leaving out the computer side because I have said my piece regarding that already and my job offers me little free time due to what I am in charge of in my company.

1 and 6. Yes, claiming drug use is the cause of anyone with a different opinion's view is inferring the one making the argument is deficient. I never claimed you were deficient due to drugs as you did of me. I do not believe you use drugs and that is none of my business if you do, provided you don't work for my company. I simply had a problem with your etiquette. I don't run into issues with that out in the physical world because of my social standing and the respect I show others. I hear the complaint of "too nice" sometimes but that keeps me safe in a corporate environment, believe it or not. I hold my employees/contractors to a fairly high standard regarding how they handle each other. Trust me, it makes for a good work environment and helps with talent/employee retention. If you are going to bring up the drug war for some reason: I am a moderate Libertarian so I do not believe in the war on drugs. Tax and regulate it the same as alcohol and keep punishments high or higher on violent crime, not victim-less crime. Rehabilitation programs like Portugal's serve as a decent model to follow and improve upon.

2. It shouldn't have bothered you all weekend and that is what an argumentative nature or demeanor will give you. It just increases stress to unhealthy levels.

3 and 4. I would hope you eventually realize picking verbal fights with people is counterproductive and hardly ever helps to spread your ideology or view. Making them your friend and convincing them that their reasoning was just lacking certain findings to help them find the truth is a better way. Be part of a person's journey toward understanding the world rather than an adversarial bump found on the road of life.

5. An argument as you explained as "picking a fight" does little more than make you look like a bully or a difficult person, which makes them not listen to you. You can be 100% right and still not have them listen to you due to them seeing you as an adversary. The conflict approach only works to spread ideas in politics where the average person isn't paying attention long enough to gain any real knowledge or investigate whether any supposed proof is fabricated. I am not claiming you are wrong just because you see things differently. The major difference between humans and apes is the ability and willingness to learn from others around us and to pass on knowledge. Our major ideological difference most likely is that I believe in harmony(leading and persuading), where you believe in conflict(argument).

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
The major difference between humans and apes is the ability and willingness to learn from others around us and to pass on knowledge. Our major ideological difference most likely is that I believe in harmony(leading and persuading), where you believe in conflict(argument).

Not one to get involved in the giant vortex of poo swirling around but I can't let that statement go without some caveats.

Communal groups of apes co-operate on a more complete level than humans do. Given the dominance of an alpha male and a hierarchical structure, it's quite harmonious all other things excepted. If non-related groups of apes do clash, there is bloodshed and violence and guess what - that's what we do too. It's a human error to place our 'humanity' above that of the lesser primates. No species has killed more of its own than us - it's therefore a tad simplistic to infer our superiority over the apes because they don't drive cars and live in condos.

We co-operated a long time ago to move out of Africa and settle across the globe but once we settled, well hey - we made ourselves some Gods and then we all got down to some good old fashioned 'My God's better than your God' genocidal madness. And we're still doing it.

Do we co-operate today? Of course we do but so do those apes - simply to survive. We tend to co-operate now to kill or make profit. As Run DMC said, 'When's the last time that love bought your clothes?'

Leave the apes out of it.

Sincerely,

Dr Zaius.

Last edited:
System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
Not one to get involved in the giant vortex of poo swirling around but I can't let that statement go without some caveats.

http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news/science-updates/apes-vs-toddlers/

This was what I was getting at above. It is put in simple terms. You can click the audio link if you don't feel like reading it. I didn't say it was the only difference, I said "the major difference" and that is an opinion on it being major. I can give you a peer reviewed journal link as well if you for some reason want to read about it on a deeper level as it appears you have an interest in the subject.

I was just explaining my ideology and my view on things as it has helped my life. Using apes as a comparison to show what makes humans great and inspire others to converse differently with the things that humans have strengths in(championing it). Of course I am going to leave the other stuff out in the differences between us and apes. Otherwise it would get seriously off topic. Moderators might have to mass delete to clean up the off topic path including my posts now for all I know.

Last edited:
I will answer your direct statements in order to keep this brief. Leaving out the computer side because I have said my piece regarding that already and my job offers me little free time due to what I am in charge of in my company.

1 and 6. Yes, claiming drug use is the cause of anyone with a different opinion's view is inferring the one making the argument is deficient. I never claimed you were deficient due to drugs as you did of me. I do not believe you use drugs and that is none of my business if you do, provided you don't work for my company. I simply had a problem with your etiquette. I don't run into issues with that out in the physical world because of my social standing and the respect I show others. I hear the complaint of "too nice" sometimes but that keeps me safe in a corporate environment, believe it or not. I hold my employees/contractors to a fairly high standard regarding how they handle each other. Trust me, it makes for a good work environment and helps with talent/employee retention. I am a moderate Libertarian so I do not believe in the war on drugs. Tax and regulate it the same as alcohol and keep punishments high or higher on violent crime, not victim-less crime. Rehabilitation programs like Portugal's serve as a decent model to follow and improve upon.

2. It shouldn't have bothered you all weekend and that is what an argumentative nature or demeanor will give you. It just increases stress to unhealthy levels.

3 and 4. I would hope you eventually realize picking verbal fights with people is counterproductive and hardly ever helps to spread your ideology or view. Making them your friend and convincing them that their reasoning was just lacking certain findings to help them find the truth is a better way. Be part of a person's journey toward understanding the world rather than an adversarial bump found on the road of life.

5. An argument as you explained as "picking a fight" does little more than make you look like a bully or a difficult person, which makes them not listen to you. You can be 100% right and still not have them listen to you due to them seeing you as an adversary. The conflict approach only works to spread ideas in politics where the average person isn't paying attention long enough to gain any real knowledge or investigate whether any supposed proof is fabricated. I am not claiming you are wrong just because you see things differently. The major difference between humans and apes is the ability and willingness to learn from others around us and to pass on knowledge. Our major ideological difference most likely is that I believe in harmony(leading and persuading), where you believe in conflict(argument).

Before this thread gets closed:

1) There are a great many social orders which believe that leading and persuading is the way to get things done. There are times when that is the way to do things. Honestly, I don't need you to care about my points. I'm not going to win you over if you lack the foresight to understand that products which don't sell don't get sold. A prime example of this is that Intel has offered enthusiast chip offerings for years, so obviously they sell. I don't care to win you over, and as far as I am concerned your opinion is only as good as the money behind it. As the market has already deemed your opinion irrelevant, there's no defense you can offer.

2) I spent a good deal of my life in the Midwest. Everybody there was serene, would talk your ear off about their opinions, but lacked the balls to come forward and defend their opinion. After the better part of a lifetime there, I've come up with a rule of thumb. If somebody is trying to calmly persuade you that they are right, but lacks passion in their defense, they are a passive aggressive twit. Talk solves a good many issues, but sometimes passion is what drives us forward. You want an example, Jesse Ventura. An entire state chose him as their elected official, because it was funny. The voters elected a twit, because nobody had the balls to go out and attack his schemes. What they got was an ineffectual turd of a government. Passive and serene arguments have their place, but not as your only tool in the great argument of life.

3) Pay attention to wording, and get out more. I say pick a fight, because if you question those anti-zionists you get yelled at on bull horns. There is no civil debate with them. If you had some real experience, or simply read on, you'd note that every other example utilizes reasonable language. That word choice isn't a coincidence. If that was too nuanced for you, let me put it this way. When facing a raving lunatic I have the conviction to support my opinions. When conversing with someone of a different mind, I can discuss their opinions. The right tool must be used for the right job. Passive talkers often walk into a gun fight with a spoon, and they've only their inflexibility to blame for it.

4) I don't care about your office. It isn't reality. I've seen offices that looked like children's play houses, cube farms that destroy the soul, and pretty much everything in between. If you don't alter your expectations to the people who you can hire then you're a failure. Try that nice and polite office with a bunch of long haul truckers, or perhaps force a bunch of code monkeys to interact with customers, or better yet try to not have brass balls in the middle of New York dock workers. Again, when you limit your tools and create your own bubble everything is always perfect. Reality is never so clear. Expecting your trucker, grocer, IT personnel, and everyone else to wear the facade of kindness and polite attitudes is insanity.

5) I'm argumentative, because life is the greatest argument we can have. If you're Libertarian, and don't embrace that opportunity, you're a pretty crap Libertarian. You test the merits of your points by arguing them out. Other people help you to become better, by pointing out where your points fail. We learn from our failings, develop new paradigms, and grow as people. To want a milquetoast world where everyone agrees is to want the death of humanity. I respect most of those I argue with, even when we differ on points. While Allah, Christ, and Noah are a personal joke, I can learn from those who embrace them as a matter of faith. Arguing is life, death is deciding to be complacent and never challenge what you take as a matter of faith.

6) This is personal. Let's say I passive aggressively called you a raging ass, with a god complex. I did so by suggesting that due to your advanced age, and generational superiority complex, you believed that your ideas were without fault. I've insulted you, but wanted to hide said insult behind flowery words. It doesn't change that I directly insulted you, only that I didn't do so directly. I'd prefer to be called an obstinate ass for defending my points, rather than have my opponents be incapable of defending their perspectives. Part of the strength of your argument is how strong the opposition to said argument is.

7) You seem to be a coward. I'll put that forward, because of your responses. First you call people cowards, because they are part of "the younger generation." You don't know what my generation is, but you feel as though you are justified in that hollow insult and lumping me into a category without definition. Next, you claim relation to primitive ape behavior. The same apes from whom our social interactions and hierarchies are derived. The same hierarchical structures present in your business are present in ape social groups. You do so, as though the smug superiority of your own responses actually supported any argument you make. Despite this, you can't answer any challenges to your initial opinion. You can't see the fact that your own actions belie an inflexibility that borders on mania, and instead of attacking the argument you attack me personally. I'll let you have the last word here, as you've already smacked down an attempt at making peace. As far as I'm concerned, you diaper is fully and all that remains is a cranky and inflexible person who cries out instead of standing for their opinions.

So we're clear, that's a direct response. I am calling you incapable of defending your opinion, and so coddled that an opposing opinion is cause for a personal attack rather than attacking the ideas proposed. If I have to eat a ban for it, I'm willing to do so. My ideas stand on their own merit, or I change them. You've demonstrated no reason for me to believe your ideas are any more substantial than a puff of smoke.

On topic, Skylake is not an upgrade path I'm taking. Perhaps you can take a second olive branch. Or perhaps I'll get another insult to my character, by a person who is incapable of arguing the point at hand. I'd suggest calling me a pasty white troll behind a keyboard, or maybe a Nazi, those always show the maturity of your argument.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
lilhassel,

I see above you have insisted to try to inject more insults into your posts with each subsequent post . You threw out the discussion when you started in with the insults so many posts before. There were no insults to your character except that you were using insults over the internet which is hiding behind your computer because it is and continues to hold true(see meme: internet tough guy for an explanation). No other statements came your way except etiquette and manners comments. I don't have the time to converse with you the little tidbits of your pages of responses and I never said you were wrong about the computer parts you hold dear. My goal was not to make you mad but to help you and you are throwing a fit. If you have that much free time consider a second job to pull in extra income or a hobby that isn't as bad for your health as the heated arguments you are pursuing. You keep gunning for a heated argument and I am declining each post as you push harder and harder. Be careful getting yourself all worked up. This is what picking fights leads to. You just get yourself all worked up for nothing(see rustled jimmies for further explanation). I think you should try and sleep it off. You will feel better in the morning.

System Name The Mini Nuke
Processor Intel i9-9900K at 4.9GHz -1AVX Vffset 1.27V
Motherboard Asus Maximus XI Hero WiFi
Cooling NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory Model F4-4000C17Q-32GTZRB
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3080 TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Intel 660p M.2 2280 2TB NVMe
Display(s) 1 LG 27GL850-B and 2 ROG Swift PG278Q
Case NZXT - H700 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 - 1000W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Trinity
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
Every time I come to techpowerup I see this poll and wonder why there is no option for "Already Purchased"? There's a yes around christmas time but no already purchased? Just seems strange to me... :confused:

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
I have an X99 and a Skylake build in the works.
I'll keep the i7-4790K system that I already have.

Then I'll build an i7-5930K and an i7-6700K.
Once they're done, I'll use them all for a long time.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Meh, currently on X79, Skylake isn't an upgrade.
Actually, I saw a low power Skylake quad-core using a fraction of the power of my 3820 while being slightly faster. So while my 3820 is perfectly adequate, there are a lot of good products coming out of Intel as of late. I would rather let DDR4 mature a bit. Come March my machine (the CPU, motherboard, and memory,) will be 4 years old and they've held up really well, all things considered. However, when Intel decides to release a new HEDT platform, I bet that it will be a nice step beyond X79.

Personally, I've been impressed with some of the low power options Intel has been producing lately. The Xeon D-1540 is a very sexy SoC IMHO. 8c/16t SoC in a 45-watt TDP envelope? Yes, please.

v12dock

Block Caption of Rainey Street
Supporter
I picked up a 6600K, asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4, corsair vengeance 2400mhz 16GB for $475 at Microcenter this weekend.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
I picked up a 6600K, asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4, corsair vengeance 2400mhz 16GB for $475 at Microcenter this weekend.
Nice deal! My sister lives by one so I'm going order 6700k and have her pick it up, bring it down to me for Christmas time. I'm just waiting to see if they run a deal. Over 10+ in Stock. Everywhere else is over priced or out of stock.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
Nice deal! My sister lives by one so I'm going order 6700k and have her pick it up, bring it down to me for Christmas time. I'm just waiting to see if they run a deal. Over 10+ in Stock. Everywhere else is over priced or out of stock.
Most of their deals are 'show-up in the store" deals.

I just made a deal with a friend for a 6700K. I'll have it next week.

Last edited: