• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

Win 10 fresh install, few dilemmas

System Name HyperMainframe
Processor G4560
Motherboard Asus PRIME H270M-PLUS
Cooling Thermaltake Gravity i1
Memory 1 x 8GB Cruicial 2400 mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) RX 560 2 GB Gigabyte Gaming Edition
Storage Cruicial M.2 275GB drive + WD black 500 GB + WD Blue 640 GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + LG 22mp67vq-p
Case Deepcool D-Shield
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M500W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Dell Somethin wireless
Software Windows 10 x 64 bits
Benchmark Scores Superposition benchmark : 1080p Medium - 4270 pts.
Hi all,

last night I did a fresh install of my Win 10 PC, because it was behaving weird lately. I have a few dilemmas though.

1.) I went in and DL from here the latest .esd file-> decrypted and started installation from USB. However, when I enter my cd-key it doesn't work during the installation. So, I took my windows 10 box and the USB stick inside and did the installation that way. As soon as I booted it downloaded 4GB update. Why I couldn't use my key before?

2.) After the fresh install, I went in on my MB product page for drivers. However, everything in the device manager is recognized. Do I really need : Intel management engine interface? or Intel rapid storage technology ? I had them with my previous install, but all it did was show up on start up and sit in the tray. Everything is working just as well now, without them ? I really don't know.

3.) Gigabyte Aorus engine : shows up on start up, but all I use it for is to press the button that starts the fans regardless of temperature ( up to 60 deg. neither fan spins up). It has a "Silent mode"and "Gaming mode" to change the clocks, but if I don't have it, will the AMD driver do it for me?

4.) Lastly, local account or MS account ? All my family uses this PC, and using the MS account is very cumbersome. Even if I add their own MS accounts as "Family"option it really pisses people off with all the passwords and even privileges are not what I wanted them to be. This time I went in with "Local" account and it boots up (cold and sleep) without a password. It doesn't sync, but I don't feel it as a big loss I think.

Processor Intel i7 6700K 4GHZ
Motherboard MSI Z270 M6 AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 2x8GB 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11GB
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Toshiba E300 2TB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G610
Software Windows 10 x64
Hi there!

1) I actually had the same problem. Try doing it from the Windows utility directly instead of converting the .esd, it will create the latest version on a USB key or an ISO. Worked for me.

2) I don't recommend to use the drivers on the MB product page as they are mostly outdated.
Try and go on http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?lang=en
You will find more updated version of drivers (Realtek HDA, Intel INF drivers, Intel MEI, Intel RST, etc.). Also I would recommend to install driver when possible with the INF, it's a bit lighter then installation with the software (unless you need the software features)
I definitely recommend to install all drivers, so you get the latest fixes and features.

System Name SilentIO
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K @4.8GHz, 1.35V
Motherboard Asus Z97M Plus
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 2400MHz, CL11, 2x8GB, DDR3 1,65V
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
Storage 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB in Raid0, WD VelociRaptor 1TB (WD1000DHTZ)
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 Evolution II Matte 27 @120Hz
Case Cooler Master Silencio 352
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster e5 + Kingston HyperX Cloud II + Blue Snowball
Power Supply Corsair CX500M
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software Windows 10 Pro x64, Arch Linux
1. Perhaps you have retail CD key and OEM .ESD image, or the other way around. Thus could mess up activation until you go online.

2. No, that's not necasary.

3. AMD driver and graphics cards BIOS will take care of fan speeds and temperatures.

4. Going without MS account is a bonus in many ways, perhaps, except security and bookmark synchronization for Edge.

PS. Thumbs up for avatar :)