• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win 7 borks my usb stick?

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
For some reason last night my backup usb stick gave out under win7. I tried everything to bring it back -format using the windows interface, format using diskpart, using some external tools - nothing seemed to help so I almost completely gave up.

Then today at work I tried formatting it on one of the workstations that runs XP and everything worked without a hitch but it was still readable only on the XP workstations.

Any ideas why its working only under xp?

System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
Update: I did some experimenting and it seems the cause of my problems is readyboost which is unfortunately merged with the superfetch service in Win 7, so to disable it you have to disable superfetch as well :(

So I disabled it, restarted and could finally make a fresh backup but I'd love it if someone could tell me how to disable only readyboost and keep the benefits of superfetch.

Maybe this may help? Sounds more like of a glitch than it does a real solution but maybe it will work...

I've tried this on mine:

1. insert USB stick, ensure readyboost works, tab shows, etc.
2. disable readyboost on the tab for that stick
3. stop the superfetch service
4. check stick properties, the readyboost tab is GONE
5. start superfetch service
6. check stick properties, the readyboost tab is back.

I had the same issue with my lifesaver USB stick (my DOS formatted one, with BIOS's for several motherboards.. ;) )

What I did was disable the superfetch/readyboost service, then format the memory stick in Win7. After formatting it, I then re-enabled Superfetch, and all was hunky-dory again.