1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Win 8.1 Recovery Drive Questions

Discussion in 'General Software' started by AphexDreamer, Sep 1, 2014.

1. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    SO needless to say my windows is broken and I think I broke it. Won't go into the detail atm.

Basically I'm looking to do a System Refresh since System Restore is failing no matter which of the three restore points I do and I don't want to backup so I figure this is the next best thing short of formatting.

However it says I need a recovery media. I tried using a recovery media I made off my laptop but that didn't work.

SO here is my question. Will a recovery media created on a broken windows, only just recover windows back to its broken state? Cause if so I don't want to even bother doing that. HOw does it work, does it just restore basic file systems. I need my registry to be fresh.

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you need your registry un-borked, you need to format and reinstall.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    AHHH DANG IT>

Could deleting a wrong registry key cause system hangs, CPU spiks and/or BSOD's?

I hate MS SQL. I had to go into registry and delete keys because it wouldn't uninstall right let alone install right. So I deleted all the SQL keys I could find relating to it (or so I thought). I finally got SQL working but guess what... Hangs, SPikes and BSODs. Not too mention several borked up system restores that have left uninstalled and installed programs confused on my system, it doesn't know whats what any more.

I also wondered if it was the AMD beta drivers but who knows... Guess I'll have to backup and reformat.

4. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Registry is like the config file for software/games. In some cases entries get regenerated. But in some cases they don't, and can cause a lot of issues. Hangs and BSOD are most common... CPU usage bouncing around??? I doubt that.

5. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    SYstem seems fine at times but everytime I think I have it fixed bam crash. Sometimes no BSOD. FIghting it a bit more until I end to a format.

6. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    Anything in Event Logs?

7. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    grab a msdn-iso from teh internets and use that
    and no you don't need to format and re-install "reset" wipes the registry its basically a "upgrade" install without keeping installed programs and drivers it rebuilds the registery if you are doing "refresh" you should't need any installation media refresh also rebuilds the registry but to a lesser extent HKCU is preserved in that case you should't need a installation disk for "refresh" you will how ever for "reset"
    I would backup your activation id with this first incase things go arie so you don't burn one of your activations
    http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  8. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
  9. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Reset wipes all files and folders though and refresh is asking me for a recovery medium.

My product key isn't working for some reason. Maybe cause its a Win 8 key ?

10. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    yeah,
    Does not work unless you bought a full 8.1 edition (I went 8upgrade ->8.1, my key is rejected. It is well known that w8 keys are not for 8.1)
    And downloading ISOs from internetz is, to say the least, dangerous.

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    erixx says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Issue might be something else. I've opened up my PC and my 3 month old water in my loop is a yellowish/green color. I added a drop of Biocide perhaps not enough? Also I've noticed the water has gone down about a quarter inch and there are bubbles forming in my reservoir water level indicator?