• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 10 build 1903 disables my CPU Overclock (i7 6950X)

fabtech

Hi,
My CPU i7 6950x is originally overclocked through the bios @ 4.3GHz, since I have upgraded to the last build of Windows 10, the overclocking is not working, the frequency is reset to its original frequency, so my CPU is around 3.5GHz... The Overclocking in the bios is still set to 4.3GHz. I had this problem with the Windows Fall Creator version and then I roll back to the regular Windows 10 Pro build 1809.
I would like to know if there's a possibility to fix this overclocking restriction problem.

Thank you

PS: I've just rolled back to the build 1809, everything is back to normal and overclocking is effective, but I still wish to know if there is a fix for this issue.

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Processor 5950X
Motherboard Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080 Vision
Storage 980 Pro 500GB, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, Crucial MX500 2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Display(s) Gigabyte G34WQC
Case Cooler Master C700M
Audio Device(s) Bose
Power Supply AX850
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard MSI GK80
Software W10 Pro
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z Single-Thread: 688 Multi-Thread: 11940
Hi,
My CPU i7 6950x is originally overclocked through the bios @ 4.3GHz, since I have upgraded to the last build of Windows 10, the overclocking is not working, the frequency is reset to its original frequency, so my CPU is around 3.5GHz... The Overclocking in the bios is still set to 4.3GHz. I had this problem with the Windows Fall Creator version and then I roll back to the regular Windows 10 Pro build 1809.
I would like to know if there's a possibility to fix this overclocking restriction problem.

Thank you

PS: I've just rolled back to the build 1809, everything is back to normal and overclocking is effective, but I still wish to know if there is a fix for this issue.
The same happens to my 6800K on the X99 Gaming pro Carbon (I could OC it all the way to 4.4GHz), after I updated W10, I reported the issue to MSI, there was nothing they could do. I then thought the issue was with the new BIOS, after having second thought, I didn't think it was the BIOS fault, because it was updated for about year, then I thought maybe the motherboard loss its 'mojo'. Now, seeing you report the same issue, I have no doubt, it was the Windows update that has caused the problem. I will report the issue to Microsoft.

I'm not sure I'm still be able to roll back to build 1809?

The same happens to my 6800K on the X99 Gaming pro Carbon (I could OC it all the way to 4.4GHz), after I updated W10, I reported the issue to MSI, there was nothing they could do. I then thought the issue was with the new BIOS, after having second thought, I didn't think it was the BIOS fault, because it was updated for about year, then I thought maybe the motherboard loss its 'mojo'. Now, seeing you report the same issue, I have no doubt, it was the Windows update that has caused the problem. I will report the issue to Microsoft.

I'm not sure I'm still be able to roll back to build 1809?
Bad luck, I've just checked, as I made the update 10 days ago, I can no longer roll back.

I've just report the issue to Microsoft, see what they will do about it. Fuck it!

If it's the microcode causing the problem, kind of dumb, but effective way is to remove/rename the system32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll file.
That's of course if you're okay without all those cpu vulnerability fixes.

kakindiehos

Yup, I also have this problem with my 6800K on a Gigabyte X99m Gaming 5. Only CPU clock seems to be affected as my RAM clock and timings were still intact. I rolled back to 1807 and Overclock is applying normally.

UPDATE!
MSI and EVGA have released for several motherboards the updated BIOS.
Some of them are in BETA phase, but I would go for it. Unfortunately the other vendors (ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte, etc.) still live in the past, but I hope soon they will release something.