• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 10 Is Harassing Me Again.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I don't doubt you. Be we must remember that essentially each and every Windows computer becomes a unique computer just minutes after it is first booted - with nearly countless HW configurations, network and security setups, installed apps and Windows personalizations. And of course, not all hardware was made to support W11. It may be older and made for W10 (or even Vista or XP!). Sadly, not all hardware makers and 3rd party software developers made a concerted effort to update their drivers and software to optimize support for W11. Why? There's no profit in that - they would rather we buy all new.

But - I agree Microsoft could and should do better. IMO, they need to concentrate more on fixing bugs and optimizing existing features before coming out with new features. This is where the marketing weenies and execs need to keep their greedy fingers out of the development department so the developers can do their jobs unhindered. And we also have to remember with over 30 million lines of code, much often evolving, there will always be some bugs. :( Even the developers are only human.

That said, I stand by what I said and note that "most" users, who give the new software versions (any software) a chance to get used to it, will soon see it as intuitive and become happy (or at least not unhappy) with it. If you get used to Firefox, Chrome seems clunky. If you get used to Chrome, Firefox seems clunky. Same with our security software, word processors, PDF viewers - you name it.

Humans don't like change. We like the status quo. We like what we are used to.

I don't either. I have been one of their harshest critics - when due!

The difference is, unlike some, sadly, is with huge corporations, I know the difference between the executive and marketing departments, and the development teams. I know this because I used to work for a HUGE corporation that did software development too - in my one division, I was one of 10 hardware techs among 400+ developers.

Unlike many, I know how compartmentalized huge corporations can be - where one hand really doesn't know what the other is doing. Or worse, where one hand controls the purse strings of the other without having a clue for what they are doing or what they need while a third clueless hand is steering, guided only by $$$ signs and immediate returns for their investors. :(

Some of the executive decisions at Microsoft have been downright evil, if not criminal, IMO. And I have told them so - especially when I was a MS MVP. And some of the marketing scams... err... campaigns instituted and/or conducted by the marketing weenies have been totally anti-consumer. :( And I have been very vocal about that too. Notice I am no longer a MVP.

But on the development side of the house, that is a totally different breed of people - a truly dedicated bunch of true expert professionals who really do want their products to excel while keeping us safe. And they do a great job of that too.

So while I am one of their harshest critics, I will defend them with equal vigor when biased MS haters unjustly blame MS for actions and events they did not cause. And if you bothered to go back through some of my threads, you will see I have not minced words there either. For example, search for me and the words, marketing weenies. Yet some folks, apparently like yourself @64K, only see when I defend MS, then pounce on the MS haters bandwagon to make some underhanded, misinformed comment about it. :(

Have a nice day.

Defend all you like. Everyone knows what MS is.

I can't speak on this anymore because of a moderator who holds me in contempt. I got banned one time for a year. It will probably be 2 years next time. Debating MS ethics isn't worth it.

They keep prompting me to "upgrade" to Win 11 and now they make it a pain in the ass to refuse to upgrade to some silliness for Win 10 which I paid for. How to make it stop?
Microsoft...yo momma soo fat you gonna need to upgrade to a higher windows size or change your aspect ratio to fit her into the same frame. Would you now like to upgrade to Windows 11 yes, maybe, or no we need to strong arm you with a newer API version of DX once again?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
I don't doubt you. Be we must remember that essentially each and every Windows computer becomes a unique computer just minutes after it is first booted - with nearly countless HW configurations, network and security setups, installed apps and Windows personalizations. And of course, not all hardware was made to support W11. It may be older and made for W10 (or even Vista or XP!). Sadly, not all hardware makers and 3rd party software developers made a concerted effort to update their drivers and software to optimize support for W11. Why? There's no profit in that - they would rather we buy all new.

But - I agree Microsoft could and should do better. IMO, they need to concentrate more on fixing bugs and optimizing existing features before coming out with new features. This is where the marketing weenies and execs need to keep their greedy fingers out of the development department so the developers can do their jobs unhindered. And we also have to remember with over 30 million lines of code, much often evolving, there will always be some bugs. :( Even the developers are only human.

That said, I stand by what I said and note that "most" users, who give the new software versions (any software) a chance to get used to it, will soon see it as intuitive and become happy (or at least not unhappy) with it. If you get used to Firefox, Chrome seems clunky. If you get used to Chrome, Firefox seems clunky. Same with our security software, word processors, PDF viewers - you name it.

Humans don't like change. We like the status quo. We like what we are used to.

I don't either. I have been one of their harshest critics - when due!

The difference is, unlike some, sadly, is with huge corporations, I know the difference between the executive and marketing departments, and the development teams. I know this because I used to work for a HUGE corporation that did software development too - in my one division, I was one of 10 hardware techs among 400+ developers.

Unlike many, I know how compartmentalized huge corporations can be - where one hand really doesn't know what the other is doing. Or worse, where one hand controls the purse strings of the other without having a clue for what they are doing or what they need while a third clueless hand is steering, guided only by $$$ signs and immediate returns for their investors. :(

Some of the executive decisions at Microsoft have been downright evil, if not criminal, IMO. And I have told them so - especially when I was a MS MVP. And some of the marketing scams... err... campaigns instituted and/or conducted by the marketing weenies have been totally anti-consumer. :( And I have been very vocal about that too. Notice I am no longer a MVP.

But on the development side of the house, that is a totally different breed of people - a truly dedicated bunch of true expert professionals who really do want their products to excel while keeping us safe. And they do a great job of that too.

So while I am one of their harshest critics, I will defend them with equal vigor when biased MS haters unjustly blame MS for actions and events they did not cause. And if you bothered to go back through some of my threads, you will see I have not minced words there either. For example, search for me and the words, marketing weenies. Yet some folks, apparently like yourself @64K, only see when I defend MS, then pounce on the MS haters bandwagon to make some underhanded, misinformed comment about it. :(

Have a nice day.
It's easy to make into a "us vs them" style camp partisan issue.

It needn't be. Keep your criticisms and praise technical and the mods here and most sensible users should be on your side.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
@64K - I am sorry your Windows keeps hounding you to upgrade. As @P4-630 noted, your 7700k is not listed as compatible. I don't see W11 drivers for your board here either, suggesting a lack of W11 support. So not sure why you kept getting prompted to upgrade. I hope you were able to resolve this with the suggestions you were given. If so, please let us know that. But if you are still having this problem, then as @cvaldes requested in post #3, please post a SS of the offending window.

It's easy to make into a "us vs them" style camp partisan issue.
And yet it shouldn't be. It is about facts, not opinion. And the facts are the facts. Yet, sadly, so many allow their hate for MS, and biases against the company to feed their prejudices and taint their perceptions of the entire company and every one of their products - and of anyone who expresses anything different than those haters. :(

Have the executive leaders and marketing weenies at Microsoft done some really evil, nasty, greedy, anti-competition things? Absolutely!!! I sure have never said otherwise.

Do those evil deeds mean each and every one of their products are evil - as some would have us believe? NO!!! Does that mean the Microsoft developers are inept, don't know how to, or even care about keeping us safe and secure? NO!!!! Does that mean the developers don't know how to properly utilize system resources, or how to keep Windows running properly? NO!!!

Do these same people hold the same biases and contempt for Wells Fargo, WorldCom, Volkswagen, Lenovo and other companies convicted of felony crimes - many of whom intentionally defrauded their customers? Do those same people take every opportunity to bash those companies whenever someone mentions anything about them? Often with falsehoods too? Or pounce on anyone who says anything favorable or in defense of those companies? Nope. Heck, Apple has a whole scandal class named for it - batterygate. Other than antitrust litigation, I can find no instance where Microsoft has ever been convicted (or even charged) of fraud or crimes against its customers.

Then of course there is Facebook and others who are not only reckless with our most sensitive and private information, they actively exploit it for their own financial gains. Where's the hate for them?

Again, I say bash when due and I'll support and defend your right to do so. Microsoft has done plenty to deserve it. But bash unduly and I will defend your target with equal vigor.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2