• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 10 Remove Windows Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Guess what else Defender likes to delete? Pictures, office documents, video transferred from phones/camera's and programs that are known safe like offline antimalware installers and browser setup files.

That's not a great assumption. You have no way of knowing.
No like I said All of the OPs post have been posts about games, next post is about Defender deleting files the connection is terribly obvious.
Also to take a page from your book. Defender deletes personal files?
Citation please?

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Guess what else Defender likes to delete? Pictures, office documents, video transferred from phones/camera's and programs that are known safe like offline antimalware installers and browser setup files.

Never had that issue for myself or clients with Defender and locally hosted documents, pictures, videos, AV and browser setups. Not saying Defender isn't capable of it (Well hello first release 1809...though I have one system that got 1809 and I lost 0 data there as well, no issues), but I have seen other AVAM solutions do that very thing too with false positives. It's not limited to Defender by any means.

Never had that issue for myself or clients with Defender and locally hosted documents, pictures, videos, AV and browser setups. Not saying Defender isn't capable of it (Well hello first release 1809...though I have one system that got 1809 and I lost 0 data there as well, no issues), but I have seen other AVAM solutions do that very thing too with false positives. It's not limited to Defender by any means.
I have also literally never seen that behaviour occur in any system I have ever used. Mine or anyone elses.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
@R0H1T @Vayra86 @rtwjunkie
When my clients and customers bring me systems that are behaving badly and they describe their problems, I troubleshoot. When I discover that something seems to be causing the problem, remove/change that something and the problem goes away, problem solved. In the case of Windows Defender, it is one of the most consistent and ongoing culprits of user problems in all versions of Windows that come with it, mostly Windows 10. Deleting it and replacing it consistently resolves users problems while not compromising their security. The methods I described in the process in the earlier post is exclusive to Windows 10 as the process is different and can be done entirely from within Windows on Windows 7. So the notions that these procedures are outdated or leftovers from a previous version of Windows are entirely incorrect. Additionally, as the graph R0H1T provided shows, there are many competent security suites available from a variety of trustworthy vendors and can handily entirely replace Microsoft's offering, but without all of the irritations. Progress and technology marches on.

Everyone seems gripped with fear of not doing things the Microsoft way. That is not the only way to do things and often isn't even the best way. In the case of antimalware, Windows Defender may be rated well but in practice it shows itself to be more trouble than it's worth. Deleting/replacing it will not magically break a system, nor will it become unstable. Most systems benefit from it's removal and replacement which is why I promote doing so.
Hmmmmm, I don’t care what your non-pc savvy customers have problems with. I’ve got MalwareBytes alongside Windows Defender on one, and MalwareBytes alongside Avast on another. No problems on either. No special attention needed on either.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
@R0H1T @Vayra86 @rtwjunkie
When my clients and customers bring me systems that are behaving badly and they describe their problems, I troubleshoot. When I discover that something seems to be causing the problem, remove/change that something and the problem goes away, problem solved. In the case of Windows Defender, it is one of the most consistent and ongoing culprits of user problems in all versions of Windows that come with it, mostly Windows 10. Deleting it and replacing it consistently resolves users problems while not compromising their security. The methods I described in the process in the earlier post is exclusive to Windows 10 as the process is different and can be done entirely from within Windows on Windows 7. So the notions that these procedures are outdated or leftovers from a previous version of Windows are entirely incorrect. Additionally, as the graph R0H1T provided shows, there are many competent security suites available from a variety of trustworthy vendors and can handily entirely replace Microsoft's offering, but without all of the irritations. Progress and technology marches on.

Everyone seems gripped with fear of not doing things the Microsoft way. That is not the only way to do things and often isn't even the best way. In the case of antimalware, Windows Defender may be rated well but in practice it shows itself to be more trouble than it's worth. Deleting/replacing it will not magically break a system, nor will it become unstable. Most systems benefit from it's removal and replacement which is why I promote doing so.

If you have an alternate solution that is considered solid and you take measures to implement security of your system and data, all is well in the world. It doesn't need to be Windows Defender, but experience tells us that keeping something up to date is not for everyone.

The point initially was - make sure you have an adequate replacement for Defender. That is all I've got to say about it. Its not 'fear', its minimizing risk and making sure you're not liable for damages. And my other point is: Windows Defender doesn't cause any problems with any sort of normal use of a PC. I haven't had a single issue with it, and I could create exceptions that didn't act funny whenever I wanted. It does everything I need and most of all: I don't need to fiddle with it.

If you see other people's PCs you know just as well as I do that users do all sorts of weird, illogical or downright silly stuff to their OS. 'If I delete Defender, problem goes away' is hardly a conclusive evidence that Defender is the cause. Also, big data proves you wrong. Defender is one of the most widely used applications now and rightly so.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)

That's not a great assumption. You have no way of knowing.

That's nothing to do with Defender that's a setting in Storage Sense see below

Storage Sense.jpg

Oh and I've never seen Defender delete pirated anything and I have a shit ton of noCD cracks because I dislike Steam and Origin and battle.net or any other game that requires me to sign into some crap online before I can play a game and I don't play online multi-player and never ever have I had Defender try to delete these. And even if it does it's not gone completely it's in the Vault and can be sent back to where it came from and an exception made to leave it alone just like any other AV program around you just need to set it up appropriately for the situation it's being used in

Oh and I've never seen Defender delete pirated anything...
Oh it will. Trust me. Try burning a cracked .iso of any version of Windows. Don't ask me how I know...:p
...even if it does it's not gone completely it's in the Vault and can be sent back to where it came from and an exception made to leave it alone just like any other AV program around...
Well...yeah. It'll try at least. But we know what to do to prevent that shit now don't we? :cool:

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
I've seen Defender alert/delete "legit" software even, but it was probably for the best. TC4Shell is a compression utility I own, but Defender went crazy with TC4Shell's licensing scheme, where it embeds your license info in undesirable areas on the system. It listed it as a trojan even, that sends back control of your whole machine to the maker of the virus. Either that or Windows didn't like how it integrated compression into the Windows shell/Explorer. I decided to not install it anymore and use 7Zip instead. Kind of sucks though, because I like the Explorer integrated compression for the amount of file types it supports.. but something may very well be shady about the developer (he's a Russian... lol).

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
Try Peazip it's free and also supports a lot of compression types

Hmmmmm, I don’t care what your non-pc savvy customers have problems with.
I have too. It's my job and I'm exceptionally good at it.
I’ve got MalwareBytes alongside Windows Defender on one, and MalwareBytes alongside Avast on another. No problems on either. No special attention needed on either.
That's cool, if that works for you do carry on.
If you have an alternate solution that is considered solid and you take measures to implement security of your system and data, all is well in the world. It doesn't need to be Windows Defender
That's exactly what I've been saying. Removal and replacement.
The point initially was - make sure you have an adequate replacement for Defender.
Agreed. That was part of the point I made as well. Well known and excellent replacements for it were suggested.
That is all I've got to say about it. Its not 'fear', its minimizing risk and making sure you're not liable for damages.
Like Microsoft?
'If I delete Defender, problem goes away' is hardly a conclusive evidence that Defender is the cause.
You're right, there's a great deal more to it than that. However, I didn't feel like a 6 page essay about the exact technical details on the subject was necessary given what the OP was asking for originally.

The OP, @Slo2018, started this thread asking for a way to remove Windows Defender. They did not ask for explanations for it's behavior or ways to disable it, nor for advice on whether removing it is a good or bad idea. A method to remove was provided. Said method works and does not compromise system stability. Included in those instructions was the recommendation for replacement as well as suggestions for known competent and well liked replacements.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
OP hasn't returned to any of your responses. Closing thread until we get a PM otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.