• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 10 upgrade rant..

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i have couple of weeks old win 10 tablet.. it has 32 gigs of solid state ram.. this is the C drive and cant be extended..

MS wants to upgrade it to the new anniversary edition.. it tells me i need a free 16 gigs of drive space to do this.. not that easy when all you have is 32 gigs in total..

it gives me dumb sh-t advice like run disk clean up.. being a new machine there is very little (extra) on it but i removed (uninstalled) all i could.. i even turned off the page file sys file to gain some extra disk space..

i now have 16.1 gigs of free space out my 32 gigs in total.. i cant get any more.. he he

windows still give me the 0x80070070 error which basically means not enough drive space..

i quite like win 10 but it really does have too many issues.. why does it need to have a huge windows old file when all its doing is updating its f-cking self.. i cant see much point to be honest..

as for what amounts to enforced updates that dont (cant) f-cking work on tablet machines with 32 gigs of solid state system drive space..these machine are now quite common my mind kind of boggles..

i now have a machine that will not upgrade and am wondering what to do next.. reinstall the stuff i have uninstalled trying to get the bloody upgrade to work and hope MS leaves the machine alone in future and dosnt j keep trying to do an upgrade it cant do or what.. he he

i dont need the f-cking upgrade but will MS be happy with that.. ether way it all seems a huge f-ck up..

trog

ps.. i am now trying a remove all files system reset in the hope that the windows install i get is small enough to allow the anniversary upgrade.. he he

Last edited:
Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
Yea I have it on one of my laptops and its just too user friendly which sucks if you are a power user :(

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I think they should give you the roll-back as a checkbox option during the upgrade process, that would alleviate this issue you're having. Pretty silly that their own tablet can't support their OS upgrade...I am sure they'll mitigate something here. I imagine their hate mail has increased noticeably due to this very issue.

Yea I have it on one of my laptops and its just too user friendly which sucks if you are a power user :(

I disagree, there's still plenty of power-user capability in 10, especially if you're into CLI and Powershell. Plus in 1607 you have Linux Terminal and Bash to play with. Who but a power user would even touch that? :toast:

Sure they add some easy GUI methods to do things, which is great for those that aren't power users and catering to the masses will always be, it needs to be that way. The admin menu as I call it, from right clicking the start button is damn convenient and was one of the things about Win 8.1 I loved. I think 10 strikes a good balance between capability and ease-of-use...sure tilting more towards ease-of-use...but any power user worth their salt is in command-line anyways...that's where the magic happens. :D

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
  1. do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
  2. Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Probably think Microsuck want you to landfill it and for you to "UPGRADE BY NEW PURCHASE"

You got to think of those poor sales figures and shareholder profits
Piss take of microsuck over

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Probably think Microsuck want you to landfill it and for you to "UPGRADE BY NEW PURCHASE"

You got to think of those poor sales figures and shareholder profits
Piss take of microsuck over

Honestly, you sir have the correct answer I believe. It doesn't matter that it is their own device and should be able to upgrade. It's a tablet, and they would rather he went and bought a new one.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It doesn't matter that it is their own device and should be able to upgrade.

Where do you get that it is their own device? I don't think the OP ever said it was a Surface, there are a crap ton of non-Microsoft tablets that run Windows out there. In fact, the smallest Surface tablet that Microsoft sells is 64GB, so I can almost guarantee that this isn't a Microsoft tablet.

System Name money pit..
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
an update.. my refresh method seemed to work.. it gave me 19.1 gigs of free space.. well over the 16 gigs windows said it wanted..

windows said it was happy and started to get on with anniversary upgrade.. all looked good.. but at about 60% progress it pops up with its brain dead sorry there is a problem message and the same f-cking error code.. not enough disk space..

anyways i tried another method.. downloaded the media creation tool ran it and told it to upgrade this machine now.. i didnt expect it to work but it did..

the get it now method must be buggy.. the media creation tool methods works and i have windows version 1607..

i now have 16.1 gigs of free space including the windows old folder.. the windows install itself is only just over 12 gig.. when i get rid of the windows old folder (about 4 gigs) i should have 20 gigs of free space on the 32 gig drive..

all in all a load of time wasting pissing about just to do something that should do itself.. i like windows 10 but it does have "issues".. he he..

trog

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
  1. do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
  2. Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

the machine "without enough disk space" has a 128 gig micro sd card installed as well as its 32 gig system drive.. it shows up as drive D..

the problem is windows and its totally useless error message.. it could for example (when its aware there is limited system drive space) use the additional drive to download and store its extra upgrade stuff.. or before it starts it could give the user the option of doing this.. it does none of what it should do and comes across as a total kludge..

i consider myself computer savvy and got around the problem in the end.. the average user would not have.. windows advice is pathetic and utterly useless..

my machine is a Linx 1010 tablet.. 32 gig of solid state drive space and 2 gigs of ram.. bought about three weeks back with its keyboard dock for £140.. a very good value for money portable "browsing" machine with a good battery life.. they come with win 10 installed and there must be loads of them out there..

used with care the 32 gig system disk is enough for what the machines are.. however it dosnt seem enough for windows enforced updates.. the problem is windows updates not the machines.. he he..

trog

ps.. i have three more win 10 laptops waiting for the adversary (typo left in) upgrade.. none of them are short of system drive space so should not have problems.. i would not lay money on it though.. he he

my main machine took the upgrade basically okay but borked my nvidia gpu drivers which i had to reinstall to get my SLI back.. it also borked my recrium back up system which had to be patched.. an old dell machine i have took the upgrade with no problems.. windows seems to know how to cope with old dell machines.. :)

Last edited:
the problem is windows updates not the machines.. he he..

That's why we, tech savy peoples have to learn the arcanes of windows 10 updates, on how to deal with those annoying upgrades eating large chunks of free space. It's not going to end anytime soon, quite the opposite actually: this has become the new way to distribute point releases (btw rendez-vous for the 1705 build, same player shoot again)

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
That's why we, tech savy peoples have to learn the arcanes of windows 10 updates, on how to deal with those annoying upgrades eating large chunks of free space. It's not going to end anytime soon, quite the opposite actually: this has become the new way to distribute point releases (btw rendez-vous for the 1705 build, same player shoot again)

i am about to let the "adversary" upgrade loose on one of my lenovo thinkpad laptops.. just to see how it copes with them.. :)

i will try the "get it now" method first.. he he

trog

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
That's better than the upgrading thinking it has enough room then filling your SSD up just to find out it doesn't have enough space, where it reverts the installation but, keeps your drive filled up with garbage. ;)

How about installing regular updates after the upgrade that ends up causing a BSOD on every reboot? Yeah, Microsoft did a pretty good job at screwing this one up IMHO. I'm sure the new version works well and all but, Microsoft has always done a piss poor job at handing upgrades.

System Name money pit..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
i am gonna put the adversary upgrade on the lenovo thinkpad tablet down as a fail.. i lost my screen orientation button functions.. they did work on the 1511 version but not on the 1607 version.. i rolled back to the earlier version and the button function is back.. the roll back didnt take long.. will windows take the hint that i dont want its update or will it not.. time will tell.. :)

this applies to older hardware but i fear with each new iteration of windows 10 more and more drivers that worked fine before wont do after an upgrade.. a bit of a bugger but its the way i see it.. windows can and probably will bork older systems as and when it feels like it.. he he

i am gonna try it on my none tablet lenovo.. that dosnt have the fancy tablet buttons and will probably work.. fingers crossed..

trog