• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 10: USB volume knob stops working after PC wakes up?

CabanaBanana

So, here's my attempt to give a simple explanation:

USB volume knob was first plugged into PC about a month ago, has been working flawlessly

I moved my tower because I was rearranging furniture so of course I had to completely unplug everything.

Now, my USB volume knob does not work after waking up from sleep. I can unplug/re-plug from the USB port and that will make it work again, or I can restart and it works no problem.

But when my PC wakes up from sleep, volume knob does not work. The lights are on so it's definitely getting power.

This is driving me crazy because absolutely nothing changed. No settings changed. I have a lot of USB ports on the back of the mobo, so I don't quite remember which exact port I plugged it into but I don't see how that would affect.

What I have tried to do is disable "Usb selective suspend setting" in power options but that did not work.

Send help!

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Hyperx c16 3200 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 10 Pro
So, here's my attempt to give a simple explanation:

USB volume knob was first plugged into PC about a month ago, has been working flawlessly

I moved my tower because I was rearranging furniture so of course I had to completely unplug everything.

Now, my USB volume knob does not work after waking up from sleep. I can unplug/re-plug from the USB port and that will make it work again, or I can restart and it works no problem.

But when my PC wakes up from sleep, volume knob does not work. The lights are on so it's definitely getting power.

This is driving me crazy because absolutely nothing changed. No settings changed. I have a lot of USB ports on the back of the mobo, so I don't quite remember which exact port I plugged it into but I don't see how that would affect.

What I have tried to do is disable "Usb selective suspend setting" in power options but that did not work.

Send help!
I would disconnect it find the item in device manager uninstall the drivers then plug it back in and install fresh.

I don't know if this would fix any issues caused by registry errors, that something like ddu would fix but as I don't think ddu supports usb devices this might be your only option.

System Name Dusty
Processor 8700k - delid - 5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Maximus X Hero
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
Try the different USB ports and jump in and out of sleep just to test it out. Although I agree that it should not generally matter, in reality it sometimes does. Some of the ports could be on a different controller which may or may not be related to the issue you are having. Mostly just to make sure that the problem is in fact not related to a specific set of USB ports, never hurts to try since it would only take a few minutes.
If you find the device in the device manager, does it list any status or previous events? Have you checked Event viewer to see if it lists any problems?

CabanaBanana

Try the different USB ports and jump in and out of sleep just to test it out. Although I agree that it should not generally matter, in reality it sometimes does. Some of the ports could be on a different controller which may or may not be related to the issue you are having. Mostly just to make sure that the problem is in fact not related to a specific set of USB ports, never hurts to try since it would only take a few minutes.
If you find the device in the device manager, does it list any status or previous events? Have you checked Event viewer to see if it lists any problems?
So I actually tried this before I read your comment but you were spot on.

I tried all of my USB ports and for some reason it would only keep functioning properly when I plugged it into my USB 2.0 ports! I did not realize this, the problem is technically fixed but there is no reason why my USB 3 ports should be cripple a device after sleep.

System Name Dusty
Processor 8700k - delid - 5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Maximus X Hero
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
So I actually tried this before I read your comment but you were spot on.

I tried all of my USB ports and for some reason it would only keep functioning properly when I plugged it into my USB 2.0 ports! I did not realize this, the problem is technically fixed but there is no reason why my USB 3 ports should be cripple a device after sleep.
The question would then be if all USB 3.0 ports have something in common. Perhaps they are all from the same controller and it's said controller/driver that is causing the issue at hand.
It doesn't surprise me all that much though, weird and magically problems related to sleep mode is not exactly something new.