• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 11 General Discussion

why? whats wrong with it?
Other than the fact that it's taking up 16GB of space for no reason?

I actually set the size manually to 16 GB
IIRC, the user has no control of the size allocation of the hiberfil.sys file. It's automatically determined by the amount of RAM you have. Maybe you're thinking of the pagefile.sys? That very much IS user configurable.
It's not like I use it often, but sometimes I prefer to have it ready for use.
It's up to you, but disabling the feature saves SSD wear&tear, saves space and reduces system resources. As a general rule I disable it and advise everyone to do the same if they're using an SSD as a boot drive. The bootup time differences between hibernation and full boot on an SSD(even a slower model) are minimal. You are very unlikely to notice unless you count the seconds.

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Processor Intel | i7 _ 11700K | @ ~ 5GHz all | cooling ~ Thermal Grizzly CARBONAUT
Motherboard Asus | ROG Strix -- Z 590-E
Cooling Asus | ROG Ryujin 240 2* _Noctua F PPC °3000 | 4+1* _beQuiet_ Silent/Light Wings 3 °2200
Memory G Skill | Trident Z *RGB @ 4000_ | _15-15-15-36_ |
Video Card(s) Asus | ROG Strix -- RTX 3070Ti_ #OC Edition
Storage INTENSO 250GB *1, 500GB*1 | Samsung EVO 860 / 970 EVO plus| WDC WD40 |
Display(s) Alienware | AW3821DW _ 38" {3840*1600} wide - curved
Case be Quiet | DARK BASE PRO 900 --- _rev. 2 --- #Silver
Audio Device(s) Asus | ROG Throne - Qi_7.1 | LOGITECH_G560 Speaker (RGB)
Power Supply be Quiet | DARK Power PRO 12 __ 1200W *titanium
Mouse Razer | NAGA Trinity (19 buttons)
Keyboard Razer | Huntsman V2 analog | Razer Goliathus (RGB) black
VR HMD Razer | Kraken Ultimate HEADSET __7.1 THX ____| DX RACER - Gaming Leather Chair_____ VR?? is odd!
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores See signature URL
This is correct, but it doesn't have to be; just follow these instructions:

Change the size of hibernation -hiberfil.sys-.

Important: The hiberfil.sys can be reduced by a maximum of 50%. If a larger value is entered, Windows ignores this value and leaves the hiberfil.sys at 50% of the original value.

For HybridBoot to work, the size of hiberfil.sys must not be selected too small. Otherwise the fast boot will not work.

For the registry enter:

Screenshot 2021-07-17 091456.png

or press Win + X open command prompt (administrator)

enter the following: powercfg /hibernate /size 50

This example sets the size to 50%.

Enter a value between 50 and 100 ( Is the value in percent of the installed Ram)

Example: Value 100 (you have 4GB Ram 75% of it = ca 3GB hiberfil.sys)

Example: Value 50 (Equals then approx 2GB hiberfil.sys)

and Enter
Restart PC

News Corona GIF by WELTFernsehen

;)

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
Are you people using an antivirus or just windows Defender/Firewall?

System Name ROG MACHINE
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Crosshair viii Hero
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z 73 my corsair H115i kicked the bucket corsair sucks lol
Memory g-skill rgb 64gb 4x16gb ddr4 3200mgz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x oc 3080
Storage Sabren rocket gen 4 2tb m.2/ samsung 960 evo 1tb m.2/ 3x toshiba 3tb hdd , 10tb seagate, 16tb seagat
Display(s) Acer 4k monitor/ Samsung C34J79x 34 inch curved monitor
Case thermal take view 71 rgb
Audio Device(s) creative ae-5 sound card
Power Supply corsair AX 1200i 1200 watt psu
Mouse ROG CHAKRAM
Keyboard corsair k95
Software windows 11 pro 64bit
found a bug when you go into system in settings and click on power settings closes

Last edited:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Good luck with that Windows Login Bypass.

System Name ROG MACHINE
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Storage Sabren rocket gen 4 2tb m.2/ samsung 960 evo 1tb m.2/ 3x toshiba 3tb hdd , 10tb seagate, 16tb seagat
Mouse ROG CHAKRAM
Keyboard corsair k95
If anyone else is having a problem opening power in settings i found a work around just type power in the search it will bring up the old menu but you can do the same settings there

This is correct, but it doesn't have to be; just follow these instructions:

Change the size of hibernation -hiberfil.sys-.

Important: The hiberfil.sys can be reduced by a maximum of 50%. If a larger value is entered, Windows ignores this value and leaves the hiberfil.sys at 50% of the original value.

For HybridBoot to work, the size of hiberfil.sys must not be selected too small. Otherwise the fast boot will not work.

For the registry enter:

View attachment 208464

or press Win + X open command prompt (administrator)

enter the following: powercfg /hibernate /size 50

This example sets the size to 50%.

Enter a value between 50 and 100 ( Is the value in percent of the installed Ram)

Example: Value 100 (you have 4GB Ram 75% of it = ca 3GB hiberfil.sys)

Example: Value 50 (Equals then approx 2GB hiberfil.sys)

and Enter
Restart PC

News Corona GIF by WELTFernsehen

;)
Interesting. Did not know you could change the size of the hiberfil.sys file. Still think it's a function better left disabled as it often causes more problems than it's worth.
I remove defender completely and use a different antivirus/antimalware scanner. As for the firewall, that is disabled also and a solid third party solution is used.

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Processor Intel | i7 _ 11700K | @ ~ 5GHz all | cooling ~ Thermal Grizzly CARBONAUT
Cooling Asus | ROG Ryujin 240 2* _Noctua F PPC °3000 | 4+1* _beQuiet_ Silent/Light Wings 3 °2200
VR HMD Razer | Kraken Ultimate HEADSET __7.1 THX ____| DX RACER - Gaming Leather Chair_____ VR?? is odd!
Software Windows 11 Pro
I remove defender completely and use a different antivirus/antimalware scanner. As for the firewall, that is disabled also and a solid third party solution is used.
pls tell me how u ve done this. if needed via PM.
tell me everything!

drunk all in GIF

pls tell me how u ve done this. if needed via PM.
tell me everything!

drunk all in GIF
First disable UAC. Then restart the system into a WinPE USB disc type EBD or Linux based EBD, then use a file manager to rename defender's exe files. Optionally you can simply delete the folders where defender resides(Program Files, Program Files X86, Program Data).

Reboot back into Windows. POOF, defender is gone! If microsoft respected our rights to remove things we don't want installed, it would be much easier... but whatever..

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624

IIRC, the user has no control of the size allocation of the hiberfil.sys file. It's automatically determined by the amount of RAM you have. Maybe you're thinking of the pagefile.sys? That very much IS user configurable.

It's up to you, but disabling the feature saves SSD wear&tear, saves space and reduces system resources. As a general rule I disable it and advise everyone to do the same if they're using an SSD as a boot drive. The bootup time differences between hibernation and full boot on an SSD(even a slower model) are minimal. You are very unlikely to notice unless you count the seconds.
Like I said, I occasionally use it and I haven't even filled half the drive, so I don't really mind.

As said by plastisch (I'm not gonna look up how that last character is typed :laugh: ), you can change the size through command prompt (though I'm slightly surprised that in all these years there has never been an official GUI control for it, though not like it really matters).

Regarding the SSD wear, it really doesn't matter unless you're hibernating the system all the time, which is not my case. As far as I know, the hiberfil.sys file is completely empty, and when you create it or adjust its size Windows only writes down the cluster allocation, nothing else.

I agree however that people shouldn't use hibernation in replacement of the standard shutdown capability. In fact, I disable the "fast startup" option in the power settings, just to force Windows to do a cold boot up.

IMO, hibernation's use case should be limited to when you're working with, say, two dozen applications and you need to turn off the system for whatever reason and don't want to have to open everything you were working on again the next time you use the computer, and I'm excluding from this case a situation where you're working with network files (those files should be saved and the corresponding application closed if it depends on network status for whatever reason). In such case, it's a time saver. Outside of that, if you closed everything, might as well turn off the system the standard way.
Just Defender. Been thinking of installing third-party AV and firewall suite, but haven't decided on it yet.

If anyone else is having a problem opening power in settings i found a work around just type power in the search it will bring up the old menu but you can do the same settings there
Yep, going to the Settings app, System, Power causes the Settings app to crash and close. Hasn't been listed as known issue in the WIP blog, but it seems to have been reported in Feedback hub.

On the firewall, can we agree that the built-in firewall in Windows kinda sucks? :laugh:

D

Deleted member 24505

Mine does not, if i click power it opens screen and sleep/power mode
Untitled.jpg

On the firewall, can we agree that the built-in firewall in Windows kinda sucks?
Kinda? :roll: "Definitely" sucks or "seriously" sucks would have been my choice of vocabulary. But yes, we agree. The Windows inbuilt firewall is very much less than optimal.

Just Defender. Been thinking of installing third-party AV and firewall suite, but haven't decided on it yet.
Comodo.
Currently that best combined AV & Firewall. It also has fine-grained controls as well as program/app/exe management controls which are very cool. It makes the offerings from microsoft look sad and pathetic..

EDIT:
The current offline installer can be found here;

There are others that are solid as well, but Comodo is my go to suite.

Last edited:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM

Attachments

• Microsoft_Nostalgic_Windows_Wallpaper_4k.jpg
    Microsoft_Nostalgic_Windows_Wallpaper_4k.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 79
System Name ROG MACHINE
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse ROG CHAKRAM
Keyboard corsair k95
Mine does not, if i click power it opens screen and sleep/power modeView attachment 208519
I reinstalled windows 10 then went to 11 so I wouldn't have all those win 10 dev installs when I did this that is when I had problem with settings closing when I click power don't know if anyone else has the bug

System Name ROG MACHINE
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse ROG CHAKRAM
Keyboard corsair k95
yes its messed up going to have to do it again

I don't know what else to do i don't want to reinstall windows it's a lot of work this is frustrating

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Software Windows 11 Pro
First disable UAC. Then restart the system into a WinPE USB disc type EBD or Linux based EBD, then use a file manager to rename defender's exe files. Optionally you can simply delete the folders where defender resides(Program Files, Program Files X86, Program Data).
No Sir!
I guess i am mutating to a super hacking nerd sticking to TPU and you guys all the time! This aint good..

I mean many ways leading to Rome but yours is def. longer than Hannibals passing the Alps in 218 b.C. , mate! :D I read your post and had no idea what to do, what you meant.
So basicly i had to switch on my brains and found a solution Bill Gates would start to cry an ocean of tears. If i had to describe your way; U went from behind, trough the chest, into the eye. ;)

me:
Angry Chicago Pd GIF by One Chicago
by doing the following:

# Start winPE (systemdrive is not shown, security issue)
# Systemproperties
# Windowstools

# Datastorages > Storagemanagement > the system partition is displayed then > click right > change driveletter- , path to any letter!
# TPU or the securitymanagement loses the link/shortcut to the drive immediately and sets it free.
# went to fileexplorer >and kicked the Defender folders by just hitting the DEL key.

Shia Labeouf Reaction GIF

Reboot back into Windows. POOF, defender is gone! If microsoft respected our rights to remove things we don't want installed,
yes, sir! :love: :toast: and i made a screenshot in case this is too sensitive and gets lost. i will keep this for my personal recordings.

@lexluthermiester

EDIT:
a repair procedure with an install.wim will restore the deleted folders completely! So this must handled the other kinda perfidious way:

Screenshot 2021-07-18 032208.png
Cap4ture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture.JPG

{principals must be: local+enter= you allow all // sys+enter=system denied all}

It is not allowed to DEL them with windowsPE you must hijack them in which you take the access rights to you and in the same revoke the system!
The folders remain intact, they will not be replaced when scanning the component store!
[ \scan health e.g. ]

Warning!

@lexluthermiester

After the door has been brutally kicked in by simply removing all links to the drive for identification by simply changing the drive letter, so that TPM can be leveraged __ TPM puts a surprise egg in the nest for it:

All backups and shadow copies, created during this time, are unusable and the hard drive is deleted when you try to restore it!

Irretrievable! You will forced to a clean install then.

But this is not so bad if you do something immediately after you have made the defender unusable:

TPM simply recreate_

A restart and everything is back to the old! You just must not forget it under any circumstances.

Screenshot 2021-07-18 130949.png

Last edited:

FireFox

The Power Of Intel
Processor Intel i7 10700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
Cooling 2x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 - 1x Black Ice Nemesis GTX 420 - D5 VPP655P - 13x Corsair LL120 - LL140
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600Hz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORCE RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB/1TB - WD Blue SN550 1TB - 2 X WD Blue 1TB - 3 X WD Black 1TB
Display(s) Asus ROG PG278QR 2560x1440 144Hz (Overclocked 165Hz )/ Samsung
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) I prefer Gaming-Headset
Power Supply Enermax MaxTytan 1250W 80+ Titanium
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard Virtuis Advanced Gaming Keyboard ( Batboard )
Software Windows 10 Enterprise/Windows 10 Pro/Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores My PC runs FiFA
There were a few minor issues after i installed Windows 11

1- EVGA Precision X1 - In W10 i used to sync/change the color of the EVGA logo and the color of the RGB Waterblock but in Windows 11 i could just change the Color of the logo ( fixed it installing ARMOURY CRATE )

2- NVRLA.exe - it was causing high CPU usage/temps, in Windows 10 i never had issues with it ( Fixed it uninstalling the last Nvidia driver and rolling back to the previous driver 466.77

One more thing, why does it says that Windows is activated with a digital license, is it normal?

Screenshot - 17_07.png

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Software Windows 11 Pro
There were a few minor issues after i installed Windows 11

1- EVGA Precision X1 - In W10 i used to sync/change the color of the EVGA logo and the color of the RGB Waterblock but in Windows 11 i could just change the Color of the logo ( fixed it installing ARMOURY CRATE )

2- NVRLA.exe - it was causing high CPU usage/temps, in Windows 10 i never had issues with it ( Fixed it uninstalling the last Nvidia driver and rolling back to the previous driver 466.77

One more thing, why does it says that Windows is activated with a digital license, is it normal?

View attachment 208565
this is normal BUT this is the WIN10 licence that is stored in your motherboard!

mine looks like this:
i have that M$ account
Screenshot 2021-07-18 000556.png

System Name heat
Processor 2990wx
Motherboard MSI X399 SLI PLUS ATX
Cooling Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition 42.34 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory 128gb
Video Card(s) 2 2080s
Storage 100 tb
Case Asus TUF Gaming GT501 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply 1200 cosair plat
Nice find. Too bad the Bliss wallpaper in the zip is 1080p with some JPEG compression.

The 4K version without compression:
yeah that far to small for 4k.
normal size un compress jpeg should be around 17mb at 4k give or take on what your taking.
. raw 40 or more depending on raw format.

System Name °( ఠ ͟ʖ ఠ)°
Software Windows 11 Pro
yeah that far to small for 4k.
normal size un compress jpeg should be around 17mb at 4k give or take on what your taking.
. raw 40 or more depending on raw format.
u can switch that to uncompressed pictures as well. gimmie a sec

see below for the mod

Last edited:
Did you use a key that is attached to your microsoft account? If so, that's normal. If not, it might still be normal.
I believe it uses your bios hardwired Windows 10 key, I done an upgrade from 10 first and needed to perform a clean install and Win 11 is reporting activated, I haven't had to enter a product key