1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Blue Screen of Death!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Dann, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Dann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I have the Blue screen of death problem after my system starts up, just before windows loads up it occurs and the instantly restarts before i have a chance to read it, and then loops until i manually hold the power button down on my computer.

I have tried repairing windows, and i have done a windows error check but they find no problems.

I have also tried using the Windows 7 disk to repair but it still finds nothing wrong.

I am lucky i have 2 hard drives as i am on my second drive at the moment, my primary drive has the problem and i cant even get into it as a result of the Blue Screen

Any Help would be appreciated, Just to let you know i am not the best at computing :p so further explanations may be needed :)

- I have just found what i think to be the error message:
    Bugcheck 74 Parameters = 0x2, 0xfffff88003d42b20, 0x2, 0xffffffffc000009a
    Registry is corrupt

Many thanks
    Dan

2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Dann, welcome to TPU :toast:

Have you tried a complete OS re-install?

3. Dann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply, But that would be my very last option as im pretty sure there's got to be a way to fix it somehow

4. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    Welcome Dann - if you navigate to C:\WINDOWS\minidumps and see if there are any files in there, if there are, if you upload them here, I'll debug them for you and find out the possible cause for why you're getting the BSODs.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Dann New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's weird, i don't have a folder called minidumps anywhere on my system, i have done a whoel system search for it as well. Are you sure there is a folder in window 7 called that?

Thanks For the reply

6. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    It'll only be there if Windows has created a log for that BSOD. If it's a one off, then it'll most likely not create a dump (HEH HEH HEH) until it happens again. This isn't always the case, I presume it depends on if your machine restarted start away or not.

It will always be in the Windows directly on your root drive which is C:\ by default. So it'll always be C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Dann New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is the first time i have ever got the blue screen, but it keeps on occurring, and so i cannot get onto that hard drive, it shuts down within a second of the blue screen showing itself, which doesnt give me any time to read it lol. So i am completely confused as there is no Path of: "C:\WINDOWS\Minidump" as well

Thanks for the help, do you have any further suggestions ?

8. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    When you next restart your machine if you constantly press F8 after POST, you should get the advanced boot options menu and one of the options should be...

"Disable automatic restart on system failure"

... if you choose this, it'll allow you to read the BSOD when it next happens. When you installed Windows 7, did you have AHCI enabled?

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Dann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay i will do that in a sec, and sorry im a bit slow. What is AHCI ?

Thanks again

10. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Intel created AHCI in a bid to add more features to SATA enabled motherboards/HDD. I expect your motherboard does support it, it's a pretty standard feature now. AHCI for me causes my PC to BSOD when I'm installing Windows 7 and this has corrupted two HDDs.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Dann New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess so, not sure though, can you disable it or something then ? and i checked the blue screen and it said that the error log had been created, but still that folder you mentioned still isn't anywhere to be seen. Thoroughly confused here lol

12. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried the Windows Advanced startup, should be a black screen that gives you this option and Normal startup. After the Advanced startup tries and fails you should have an option to Recover to a later point. Another option would be going into the Advanced startup again if Recovery doesn't work and possible fix the corruption with your Win 7 disc.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Dann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Kenkickr, Do i need to run the disk to get to the windows advanced startup?

14. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I would try booting into safe mode and then using system restore to revert back to a date that it had no problems.

Safe mode ='s ..press F8 key repeatedly till you get black screen with white letters and then with arrow keys highlight safe mode and then hit enter key then you will have to ok to the safe mode message when you get it then go to start /accessories/system tools/system restore. Pick a date when the PC had no issues.

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Try to copy registry off some other computer?

16. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    If you boot your PC with your Windows 7 disc in, after choosing Install Now - on the next prompt, in the bottom left hand corner you should see "Repair My Computer" click on that, and it should attempt to fix error automatically, once it has finished, it should give you an Advanced option and then allow you to choose a utility tool.

I recommend launching the Command Prompt and typing...

chkdsk c: /r

... this will run Check Disk and repair any errors if it can.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. Dann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all your help, I did a whole system restore in the end and used my Second HDD to back up all my data. Even though it took ages to reinstall, everythings fine now.

Thanks again,
    Dan

18. InnocentCriminal

Thanks Received:
    Not a problem, don't forget to use the Thanks button.

:)

10 Year Member at TPU