• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 explorer.exe problem

Processor Intel I7 2600K @ 4.5ghz 1.26
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tracers 1600 cl9
Video Card(s) GTX 580 SLI
Storage Samsung 500gb SSD, WD Caviar Black 500gb HDD
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Corsair AX850
hi, my system have a retarded problem, some time when i start it i cant open any programs like games.exe or chrome.exe files. the spining load symbol comes up but nothing happen and it dont go away until i restart my system, when this happens and i try to right klick anywhere the explorer.exe crash. this problem happen every time i start my computer but i works the first minutes its on and some times longer, but it always happens. reinstalled windows 10times with 64-bit and 32-bit os no change have searched internet for any answer but no luck tryed every tip and trick on the first 10 google hit "pages" :banghead:. i get the apphangb1 error from explorer.exe when it crash. SOMEBODY HALP ME!

My system

Windows 7 32bit sp1
phenom 965
5870 catalyst 11.4
2x2gb dd3
crosshair IV formula
ssd corsair force f120 boot disk
creative sb titanium sound card
corsair ax 850w gold

1) Legal OS ?
2) If yes, does the problem happen even before installing anything, after first boot up? do you install from a original DVD? (if from backup it could be infected or just wrong)
2) If yes, then there's a problem with core components like RAM or HDD, or...

Cooling Corsair H100i
Case Corsair 550D
1) Legal OS ?
2) If yes, does the problem happen even before installing anything, after first boot up? do you install from a original DVD? (if from backup it could be infected or just wrong)
2) If yes, then there's a problem with core components like RAM or HDD, or...

Hi

1, the OS is activated automatic ?
2, it happens from first boot, and i use original cd and the same cd is used on numerus pc`s EDIT: iam not sure if it happens from first boot but i think it does... so tierd of reinstalling
3, is there a way to check if its the ram? i had a ocz vertex 2 before and tought it was broken so went and chaged it but got the corsair force f120 instead and still exactly same problem.

thanks

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
check the task manager first
is there any apps that run on background? or eat much resources?
try disable any un important service. run ms config then uncheck any service that aint necessary
i assume your os is new and theres no like virus and their friends
hope it works

richjordan255

System Name My Updated Gaming Rig
Processor Intel Q6600 @ 3.15 GHz :-)
Motherboard MSI P6N SLI Platinum
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory 8GB G.Skill DDR2 @ 5-4-4-14 (933mhz) OC :-)
Video Card(s) 2 BFG 8800 GTS 512 in SLi
Storage 2 500GB Hitatchi Sata 2 in RAID0 Hitatchi 1TB Sata2 for DATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW 22" LCD
Case Coolermaster Cosmos
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2ZS
Power Supply Akasa 850W Gaming PSU
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores Don't believe in benchies I prefer actually using the PC
can you boot into Windows Safe Mode, if so do the problems persist there ?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
1, the OS is activated automatic ?
2, it happens from first boot, and i use original cd and the same cd is used on numerus pc`s EDIT: iam not sure if it happens from first boot but i think it does...

HUH?:ohwell: Activated Automatic? OEM recovery/installation disk, maybe.:confused:

Did you burn a DVD of Windows 7 SP1 or buy it or did it come with the computer(OEM)?
If you burned it... It could have some bad files(drivers and such) that only affect the setup you are trying to install it on. Bad disk, etc..
If it was bought and is a legitimate dvd then, you may need a replacement.

Go to your bios setup and reset it to the default or reset the bios.
It is possible, that if, all the software is ok, then you are having some hardware conflicts.
Remove the sound card, any USB devices, try a different keyboard, and remove/replace mouse.
Try installing with the least amount of hardware.(Yes, try it without the mouse.)

I am betting it is homemade disk(DVD) with a bad burn or a bad disk(DVD), but I have been know to be in err before.:)
Post #7 changes this statement.

EDIT:

i have run the msconfig before and then it worked but i could not pin down the app that cause this error... and i dont want to use my computer without my services on like steam creative and amd drivers (gaming pc) thanks
Then you are installing something that is causing it? You are installing Steam, creative and other drivers?
It is not a clean boot problem then?
Clarify, please> First boot or not. Makes a big difference!

Last edited:
Cooling Corsair H100i
Case Corsair 550D
try disable any un important service. run ms config then uncheck any service that aint necessary
hope it works

i have run the msconfig before and then it worked but i could not pin down the app that cause this error... and i dont want to use my computer without my services on like steam creative and amd drivers (gaming pc) thanks

Cooling Corsair H100i
Case Corsair 550D
HUH?:ohwell: Activated Automatic? OEM recovery/installation disk, maybe.:confused:

Did you burn a DVD of Windows 7 SP1 or buy it or did it come with the computer(OEM)?
If you burned it... It could have some bad files(drivers and such) that only affect the setup you are trying to install it on. Bad disk, etc..
If it was bought and is a legitimate dvd then, you may need a replacement.

Go to your bios setup and reset it to the default or reset the bios.
It is possible, that if, all the software is ok, then you are having some hardware conflicts.
Remove the sound card, any USB devices, try a different keyboard, and remove/replace mouse.
Try installing with the least amount of hardware.(Yes, try it without the mouse.)

I am betting it is homemade disk(DVD) with a bad burn or a bad disk(DVD), but I have been know to be in err before.:)

hi damn sory for my english il try to explain. i got the error the first time from a cd that i have used for 1-2 years without any problems before untill last monday, and i got it from my IT-Tekniker... it konsult??? and now the 32bit i installed yeasterday was from the same guy but from a usb boot disk and his stuff is not faulty, its his jobb:) but still, i have removed my soundcard and 4 gig of ram (had 8gb before) and still the sames and even the hdd. can it be a windows update? i dont think its hadware issu becuse it worked fine for some months before. yeah and about windows activation, it just did automatic when i booted up, i think he has implented som activation tool or somthing like that... and before that i used som activation tool to activate my 64bit os that he game me last year. hope you understand ehat i wrote :p

Cooling Corsair H100i
Case Corsair 550D
hope it works

no nothing like that

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not on you about your english... I was on about your first boot(assume clean boot).
SP 1 has not been out in release form for 1-2 years, so you are getting it from a download or a disk or somehow.
About the IT GUY, don't trust them never have. I trust a 12 year old pc enthusiast before them.
The usb stick could still be the problem, not saying it is, but you need to try a different method of install or make your own. Just to see if the problem goes away.

Try installing and booting, test, update, then test, add driver update, then test, and so on, until you hit the problem.
Then use system restore, and skip that app/driver and continue testing. Then you will narrow down the problem. Painful and slow; yes, but it will isolate the problem.

Cooling Corsair H100i
Case Corsair 550D
I am not on you about your english... I was on about your first boot(assume clean boot).
SP 1 has not been out in release form for 1-2 years, so you are getting it from a download or a disk or somehow.
About the IT GUY, don't trust them never have. I trust a 12 year old pc enthusiast before them.
The usb stick could still be the problem, not saying it is, but you need to try a different method of install or make your own. Just to see if the problem goes away.

Try installing and booting, test, update, then test, add driver update, then test, and so on, until you hit the problem.
Then use system restore, and skip that app/driver and continue testing. Then you will narrow down the problem. Painful and slow; yes, but it will isolate the problem.

il be back in 1 hour gona reinstall Windows 7 again :roll:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
but nothing that i have is new! i dont get it, can a driver som day just say i don want to work on you computer and newer will do ever? and SP1 dont cause the problem.

trust me iam no noob, it just happend dont know how but its not my driver unless windows have released update that konflicts with my drivers, this happend over one night from stable 21k 3dmark to cant even install 3dmark anymore witout needing to restart my computer every time i install somthing

Try running memtest, could be memory going, maybe the memory needs a voltage bump or chipset does.

Do you O/C, if so try it with out the O/C.

If it happens with a clean boot from a new install, it has to be the media used to install or hardware.
It is not just happening for no reason, you need to troubleshoot. It ain't going to magically disappear, because you have nothing that is new.
If you are using the same hardware, maybe something is dying.
:confused:

Cooling Corsair H100i
Case Corsair 550D
Try running memtest, could be memory going, maybe the memory needs a voltage bump or chipset does.

Do you O/C, if so try it with out the O/C.

If it happens with a clean boot from a new install, it has to be the media used to install or hardware.
It is not just happening for no reason, you need to troubleshoot. It ain't going to magically disappear, because you have nothing that is new.
If you are using the same hardware, maybe something is dying.
:confused:

this is just sick now every thing seems to work... ill post if i come to meet my nemesis again

Cooling Corsair H100i
Case Corsair 550D
I know now what cause all this hassel!

It was Catalyst 10.12 and up with "AMD fuel service" and "AMD Reservation Manager Service" integrated in the Catalyst driver suit! it can not be deselected when installing, so i reinstalled win7, tryied first ccc 11.4 = NO GOOD! then after i went back to ccc 10.4!!! AND it was good but my games have poor suport for these drivers so i tested my way up to 10.5-10.6-10.7 etc untill finaly 10.11 and every thing is great! Crossfire is 100% and no more explorer.exe hang/crash!

thank you guys for trying to help me!