• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 installer

Processor Core i5 3470 (3.20 GHZ)
Cooling Intel OC27vv
Memory 16 GB DDR3 667mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5670
Storage Seagate - 500GB | 7200RPM | 32MB Cache | Sata-3G
Display(s) BenQ RL2455
Case Dell Tower
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply Corsair 600w
Does the Windows 7 installation has the option to create a partition table on a hard drive? I bought a new PC yesterday, and it didn't come with a HD so I purchased one separately. During the installation process, Windows couldn't find the hard drive. I had to take it out and create and format the drive with Gparted. If Windows does not allow such things, why limit it like that?

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Did you identify the HDD as the boot drive in BIOS first?

Aside from that, yes, W7 does allow that, and I've done so many times. I'm not sure other than the BIOS question I posed what the problem could be, but I'm glad you sorted it. Putting an HDD on another PC to see it and to format is always a good check/follow up.

Processor Core i5 3470 (3.20 GHZ)
Cooling Intel OC27vv
Memory 16 GB DDR3 667mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5670
Storage Seagate - 500GB | 7200RPM | 32MB Cache | Sata-3G
Display(s) BenQ RL2455
Case Dell Tower
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply Corsair 600w
It was found in the BIOS but it was set to RAID. I assumed that's why Windows wasn't able to find the single drive. So, I went back into the BIOS and changed it to: RAID Autodetect /AHCI; still no go. That's when I used gparted and after that it was enabled to install the drive. I remember the guy telling me that he used Dban or a similar program to wipe the drive clean.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
That's a glitch in a built-in Windows installer partitioning mechanism. I had similar issue with a 2.5" laptop drive.
It was visible in BIOS, but not during Windows 7/8/10 installation.

If you encounter this problem in the future, you can solve it using diskpart - a command line partitioning software.
When you get to the installation screen either launch "Recovery tools" and select Command Prompt, or simply hit SHIFT+F10 and re-partition the drive by running diskpart.

If you are not comfortable with CMD, then just make 1 partition using diskpart, and then (once your disk becomes visible in installer), re-partition it the way you like using GUI.

P.S. There is one thing you need to know: if you try to use clean all command, it may take a few hours to complete. It performs NULL-formatting and takes approximately 1 hour per 320GB on mechanical HDD.

It was found in the BIOS but it was set to RAID. I assumed that's why Windows wasn't able to find the single drive. So, I went back into the BIOS and changed it to: RAID Autodetect /AHCI; still no go. That's when I used gparted and after that it was enabled to install the drive. I remember the guy telling me that he used Dban or a similar program to wipe the drive clean.
It's because you don't have any drivers for the RAID controller. Set it to AHCI.

Edit, just noticed your very old board....might have to use SATA/IDE mode unless u can slipstream the AHCI drivers.

Edit 2: Is this a fresh install or OEM reinstall?
You don't need to format the drive before installing a new OS from scratch, it's done automatically.

Last edited: