1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 = Vista SP2?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by MidnightWatcher, May 3, 2009.

1. MidnightWatcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried out the RC of Vista 7 and although it's nice I don't really see any reason to upgrade over Vista SP2. Can anyone tell me why Win7 would be worth it?

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i too am wondering the same thing, i've read in some articles of getting like 1-4fps better in 7 than vista with games but other than that i can't think of any reason to upgrade either, vista runs nice a quick on my pc.

3. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Win 7 is way faster, it has better support for a range of things including SSD drives which are becoming more popular and will be all over the place within the next year, the taskbar has actually changed this time and is a lot more intuitive and a pleasure to use (once you learn it), and it has Libraries which will revolutionize the way people use files and folders, at least for me it will.

4. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    And it can change wallpapers without 3rd party Softwares:)

5. kyle2020 Guest

Looks better, runs smoother, better laid out, faster boot times, did I mention it looks hella' sexy?!

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. MidnightWatcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd be interested to see comparisons of the latest Windows 7 build and Vista SP2, I'm willing to bet we'll see some sites doing this in the next couple of weeks. I'm thinking that the speed differences would be negligible. I'm not getting an SSD drive any time soon and am satisfied with the Vista taskbar as it is. Windows 7 may be slightly better in some areas, but I'm still trying to find that "must have feature" for Win7 that'll make me go out and buy it.

7. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Better looking Boot screens?

8. kyle2020 Guest

The must have feature for me is the layout and the new task bar. I honestly cannot stand vista anymore, so much so that I sold my retail copy and now use build 7068 as my main OS.

And hell, please try and post some useful things, its like your 21 posts a day are consisting of 20 spam and a single useful :ohwell:

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, true:p dammit...
    I still need to get used to the new taskbar:( I get confused alot when I need to look for my computer and Documents... Win 7 groups them together straight away:(

10. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    The biggest issue with Vista when it came out was lack of hardware support and drivers. That why people cried a lot. You have to consider that this was a new OS built from scratch.

If you got back when XP started. It was the exact same thing. Hardcore Win98 fans would spit at XP calling it bloated, buggy and hardware retarted.

For my part, i did not get Vista on day one, i got it 9 months after. With updated patches and drivers, i was very satisfied with it. BTW, my ancient 2000 era scanner and all my antiquated games works with Vista without any hiccups. :rockout:

I see Windows 7 as a beautyfied Vista to make it more appealing. But don't kid yourself, because underneath 7's shiny exterior is Vista's core engine.

I'm anxiously waiting for the REAL SP2 to come out. When it does, Vista SP2 will stay for quite some time. Who knows... SP3???

11. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Funny:wtf:I cant find win7 drivers for my Atheros Lan port:ohwell:
    IMO I like the looks of Win 7 but not yet ready for it's new taskbar:)
    And they should have added a feature to change the logon screen's background...But that's just my opinion:)
    Isn't the Real SP2 out yet?

12. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not yet for regular people. I don't trust and will not take part in any of those Direct download/Torrent pirated bullcrap! I'll wait for the real honest public download directly from M$ servers.

13. kyle2020 Guest

Yeah you wont, seeing as its not even out yet :laugh:

Windows 7 takes drivers from the vista equivalent (32 or 64 bit) and uses them.

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I doesn't allow me to:(
    (Yes I have vista drivers)

15. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Lots of stuff you can't disabled, forced codecs in WMP, virtually no performance difference over Vista SP2 (SP1 is another story), Libraries (glorified shortcut directory), Homegroups (insecure networking).

From what I've seen with Win7 (public BETA and RC) I don't want to upgrade to Win7...

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    same here, and i've seen screenies of window 7 taskbar. i prefered being able to read what my tabs are, not just a picture. what's the picture for the tabs if i have aim buddy list open and my IM's open? and how much ram does it use at idle for you guys compared to vista at idle?

17. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, so many lousy and untrue criticisms. You have fun with that.

18. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    What cant be disabled?

19. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    7 = vista for netbooks :p

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    People just love to bitch dont they? No one can be happy with anything.

Its already starting just as I knew it would. When Vista came out people bitched about it and how much better XP was in comparison. Now that Win7 is about to be released soon, people are bitching about it and saying how much better Vista is. :shadedshu

I called this from the day Vista was released.

21. thraxed Guest

I hope your kidding about Libraries right? I mean what the difference between that and creating a quick launch bar with shortcuts to different folders. Or am I missing something?

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    It is easier for me to use than creating a quick launch bar with shortcuts.

23. thraxed Guest

Really so dragging the my computer button from the start menu onto the quick launch bar is a difficult task for ya, I'd be happy to show you how to do it. Pics and all if ya need em.

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Dont be a dick.

25. thraxed Guest

Sorry, but I mean put it to MS to do the exact same thing as creating a shortcut and giving it a whole new name, i really dont get it.

10 Year Member at TPU