• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 x64 - no RealTemp 3.60 GUI??

tbessie

I upgraded my home computer (which I built) to Windows 7 x64.
Since then, RealTemp has been acting strange. Usually the GUI doesn't appear.
I can start several copies of RealTemp running (I see them in the Task Manager), but nothing appears onscreen. The temps don't appear on the right side of the taskbar.

Other times, I see an icon (but not a temp) on the taskbar (even though I have chosen the option to display it on the right side, not as a regular task), or sometimes on the right side, but still as an icon, not a temperature.

I have done the suggested removing of all "Winring" entries in the registry.

I have done the suggested running RealTemp as Administrator.

Nothing works.

This seems to happen randomly - sometimes it will work for awhile, then suddenly stop working. My firewall and antivirus software is not alerting me of it doing anything like this, so I don't suspect that.

Any clues as to running RealTemp in a Windows 7 x64 environment that would cause such problems?

- Tim

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try finding realtemp.ini
Open it in notepad
Replace the line: WindowXY=XXXXXXXXX (Xs=Numbers)
With: WindowXY=560865982

If, it is just off screen, then, this may bring it to the viewing area.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
What antivirus software are you using? Some programs don't like the WinRing0 driver that RealTemp uses and might be preventing RealTemp from starting up correctly. Are you using UAC? Are you in a limited account? Give me a few more details so I can try to recreate this issue.

Try downloading RealTemp again from TechPowerUp. Does it work when you first start it?

Next time you have trouble, try deleting the WindowXY= key from the RealTemp.ini file. RealTemp used to have a problem where the window could end up hidden off screen but I believe this has been corrected.

I run RealTemp 3.60 everyday in Windows 7 x64 without the issues you are having so I'm wondering if something else is going on.

tbessie

Ok, unclewebb, I just tried that - didn't work. I can't figure it out - no error messages in the system logs to tell me anything. I wonder what's goin' on. :-(

- Tim

tbessie

Ok, unclewebb, I just tried that - didn't work. I can't figure it out - no error messages in the system logs to tell me anything. I wonder what's goin' on. :-(

- Tim

Well, I removed the .ini file and restarted, and it started working again.
Comparing the old and new .ini files, I see there was IconShow=0, but StartMinimized=1, so it was minimizing to... a non-viewable window/icon? I wonder how it got in that state.

EDIT: Ok, I just restarted my computer, and it got into a weird state again. "Task Bar" is checked but greyed out, so I can't modify it (it hadn't been checked before - it seems to have "turned itself on" for some reason). Also, now both the icon in the taskbar and in the system tray are of the RealTemp icon; the system tray does not contain the temperature reading.

Very very strange behavior - ever see this before?

- Tim

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
If you don't have any system tray icons selected, the Task Bar option will automatically get checked and be grayed out so you can't turn it off. If there is not a system tray icon then it needs to be able to minimize to the task bar instead of the system tray so it doesn't disappear.

In Windows 7 I use the option to view all icons in the System Tray / Notification area. If you don't do this, it's possible for RealTemp to create some icons that W7 will hide. The default white temperature text will blend into the W7 white background so you can't see them.

Very very strange behavior - ever see this before?

Right click on the task bar at the bottom and bring up this menu.

Disable the "Hide inactive icons" feature and see how RealTemp works then.

If this doesn't fix your problem then let me know what antivirus and anti spyware programs you are using? I need to be able to try and recreate the problem you are having.

tbessie

It seems to happen randomly - sometimes it happens, sometims not.
I'll take a look at your suggestion and see if it cures it permanently - in any case, i'll report back. :)

- Tim