• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 x64 on Z490

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Video Card(s) Zotac 4080 w.c.
Storage 2TB Kingston kc3k
Display(s) Gigabyte 34" Curved
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Cool n Quiet.
Hi guys,

I have been able to port my Win 7 x64 (from Z370) on an Asus TUF Z490. I have been having some problems installing the Lan and USB's. I have done a temporary fix buy installing a Lan card (will hardly ever use anyways) and a USB 3.0 card to get the Mouse and Keyboard going.

Now Id ideally like to get these two functions working without installing third party hardware/software.

Here is what I've done so far with the Lan. I've got it close to working but no quite...

I've followed this thread here: Windows 7 installed on z490E need working LAN driver Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums (sevenforums.com)

So I've modded the inf file but its only partially working : (

Devive.png

LAn.png

This is what happens when I manually install via device manager.

Update.png

And when I got to install the Chipset Driver/Lan etc

Install.png

Ok now for anybody wondering why I'm running Windows 7 its because all my older games run better and don't have issue's especially when they are unpatched. I also got plenty of Win 10 installs around the house.

So can anybody here help me get the USB's working and Lan? Is it a simple case of modifying the INF files? I'm not a big fan of running 3rd party Hardware/Software and like less clutter inside the HTPC case.

I have seen some threads where they have been able to get all things working on Win 7/Z490 and I've tried my best but will need some help from here unfortunately.

Thanks in advance : )

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Hi guys,

I have been able to port my Win 7 x64 (from Z370) on an Asus TUF Z490. I have been having some problems installing the Lan and USB's. I have done a temporary fix buy installing a Lan card (will hardly ever use anyways) and a USB 3.0 card to get the Mouse and Keyboard going.

Now Id ideally like to get these two functions working without installing third party hardware/software.

Here is what I've done so far with the Lan. I've got it close to working but no quite...

I've followed this thread here: Windows 7 installed on z490E need working LAN driver Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums (sevenforums.com)

So I've modded the inf file but its only partially working : (

View attachment 199423

View attachment 199425

This is what happens when I manually install via device manager.

View attachment 199426

And when I got to install the Chipset Driver/Lan etc

View attachment 199427

Ok now for anybody wondering why I'm running Windows 7 its because all my older games run better and don't have issue's especially when they are unpatched. I also got plenty of Win 10 installs around the house.

So can anybody here help me get the USB's working and Lan? Is it a simple case of modifying the INF files? I'm not a big fan of running 3rd party Hardware/Software and like less clutter inside the HTPC case.

I have seen some threads where they have been able to get all things working on Win 7/Z490 and I've tried my best but will need some help from here unfortunately.

Thanks in advance : )
Why the heck is there an archaic 16-bit stub for the installer?!

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Have you tried the standalone Ethernet driver for Win7?

My next thought was trying 8.1 drivers for the chipset, but they do. Not. Appear. To. Exist. No manufacturer that I can find supplies 8.1 drivers for Z490 boards, and you can't even find standalone packages at Intel Download Center. :confused: The next thing to try would be to extract the chipset drivers and point device manager at the folder. If you haven't already, that is.

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
Have you tried

I just downloaded and installed via your link and the adaptor still comes up with (code 39) sadly :(. It did install with no problems though is a positive.

I will take the other Lan adaptor (Realtek PCIe) out later today and try as it might have just updated that one but I would assume it should have installed the driver for both of them.

Thanks matey ;)

Edit: Pointed the device manager at those drivers and get the "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date" message as pictured in my third picture.

Last edited:
System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Keyboard Logitech G410
I just downloaded and installed via your link and the adaptor still comes up with (code 39) sadly :(. It did install with no problems though is a positive.

I will take the other Lan adaptor (Realtek PCIe) out later today and try as it might have just updated that one but I would assume it should have installed the driver for both of them.

Thanks matey ;)

Edit: Pointed the device manager at those drivers and get the "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date" message as pictured in my third picture.

That makes sense for the ethernet driver, as the link was for the final Win7 release. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding what you have and have not tried, but did "point Device Manager at folder" work for the other unidentified devices? (simple communications, USB controller, unknown device)

Outback Bronze

Staff member
System Name Raptor Baked
Processor 14900k w.c.
Motherboard Z790 Hero
Cooling w.c.
Memory 32GB Hynix
Case Corsair 460X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PCIe5 850w
Mouse Asus
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win 11
work for the other unidentified devices?

No. I have manually tried each one from device manager with no success. So to clarify, I will Right click my comp, manage, device manger and from each device update manually by searching for specified folder/ driver. Is this what you mean?
Thanks.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Keyboard Logitech G410
No. I have manually tried each one from device manager with no success. So to clarify, I will Right click my comp, manage, device manger and from each device update manually by searching for specified folder/ driver. Is this what you mean?
Thanks.

Yup. Sounds like you're way ahead of me. :) That's the extent of my ideas, though... :(