• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Windows 8.1, and Why You Should Let Go of Windows 7

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I like 8.1 and I did not like 8...It seems to me Win 8.1 is a slightly faster Win 7 with WMC fully integrated...it took me all of 5 minutes to make the adjustment from 7 to 8.1.
Methinks people are stuck on "Fearing Change" and they need to get over it...
Microsoft is letting people do a Win 8.1 prevue for no other reason other than to give you a no cost option to take a look at it..

8.1 is completely stable as is...

Give me windows 8.1 with a true start menu option a classic view if you will and I would buy it. Microsoft is all about forcing change right now and you know what if the XBONE wasn't blatantly apparent enough with the fact that people don't like that maybe Microsoft needs to take the stock hit and loose market share.

I have used metro and disliked it. I find the Windows 7 setup to work better for my needs. I do not have a touch screen on my desktop nor do I plan on getting one. If Microsoft doesn't want to recognize myself and the other 90% of users they are doomed to fail. I couldn't tell you how many people on this deployment I have installed windows 7 onto PC's because windows 8 pisses them off.

Windows 8 can go sit on the shelf next to Windows Vista for all I care. I for one will not be purchasing it to simply have to hunt down some 3rd party BS program to make it work they way it should have worked off of the shelf.

System Name Custom Built
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME A520M-A
Cooling Stock heatsink/fan
Memory 16GB 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1050Ti 4GB
Storage KINGSTON SNVS250G 256GB M.2 + 2 data disks
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic M12II-520 EVO
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Well, it was a long time ago (no clue if it's improved since), but I did have problems with classic shell, since the app switcher popped up every time when I moved my cursor near the corner, and I had to disable the whole thing in the registry. I do remember that I had many other annoying setbacks which only made things more complicated than how it was in Win7.
Well perhaps I'm just too old, and it was too much for me:toast:

Yeah I don't use classic shell (I think it's similar to start8 anyway) but I assure you that, at least, with start8, the W7 menu is exactly replicated and fully functional, no glitches at all, and the lower left corner spot is disabled. No registry tinkering at all. It's a one-click approach. Also, now it boots to desktop. Metro is now history for me. As I said, Windows 8 is more than Metro. It has many new features. The fast boot is the best thing ever. Way faster than hibernate.

The only thing I miss is Chess Titans, hope someone manages to port it :respect:

People are afraid of idiotic changes, not changes in general...

Any new version of any program which introduces many aesthetic changes is generally bashed. Confirmed.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i9-9900KS @ 5.2 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 32GB Viper Steel Series DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Storage 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe + 2TB Intel 960p NVMe + 512GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe + 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) 65" LG C9 OLED
Case Lian Li O11D-XL
Audio Device(s) Audeze Mobius headset, Logitech Z906 speakers
Power Supply Corsair AX1000 Titanium
Suck it up. Windows for PC isn't going to change

More like Windows 7 on my PC isn't going to change. :nutkick:

Thanks but no thanks. No interest in this Windows 8 junk (and yes, I've tried it... it's junk). There is simply no advantage to me to switch from Windows 7, even if it were free. And it's not free.

Last edited:
System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
Like I mentioned in the editorial, "Rage." Rage was an OpenGL application. With Direct3D implementing that feature, it could have a profound impact on the GPU industry. Speed, rather than size of the video memory, could take precedence.

So no then..lol.
Rage was years ago and imo it wasn't a good game even.
I'm not hatin, I only upgrade when it's worth doing performance and cost wise.
No game improvements.
I just don't care then.

Rage was years ago and imo it wasn't a good game even.
1, Rage was a pretty good game, the two main problems were
- It was single player​
- People expected something else, and they were sure they going to get it. It was a simple fps with good control, very fast engine and nice graphics to entertain for a few nights, nothing more.​

So no then..lol.No game improvements.
I just don't care then.
Bindless texturing is not equals to Megatexture, it's just a hardware support vs a software solution. You could use bindless textures support in you Megatexturing engine, and that would free a lot of resources (I was hoping a patch would do this for Rage tbh, but since there are no high quality addons and the original world resolution runs fluid on Dualcore+G92 relics as well, it's not really needed after all).
Carmack were continuously bombarded by Microsoft about why using Opengl and go for DirectX and Xbox360,etc and when he was praising MS for advancing faster than OpenGL (they did improved a lot indeed tbh), OpenGL answered with bindless_texture in the OpenGL 4.0 release (too late for Rage).

New engines built up from the ground could indeed benefit a lot from the new DirectX feature, but - on the other hand - there is a lot more what could have been done with dynamic tessellation too, but somehow the industry did not really went for it (well, not yet at least), so who knows how this will turn out.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Windows 7 = OS for competent users.

Windows 8 = Windows for Dummies.

Let the flaming commence!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11

I dunno, lose the start button and everyone seems to struggle to cope.

Last edited:
System Name Custom Built
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Keyboard Logitech

When someone recurres to insulting or using childish derogatory terms (Windows 8 is junk, retarded, trash, etc...), 0 arguments.

The fad of insulting Windows 8 and its users must die.

Last edited:

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
When someone recurres to insulting or using childish derogatory terms (Windows 8 is junk, retarded, trash, etc...), 0 arguments.

I have no issue with Windows 8 users, it is your prerogative to use it. That being said I personally like how Windows 7 is set up. I dislike how these threads turn into well if you don't like Windows 8 your dumb and know nothing and vice-verso. Use what you want all I want is a simple check box under settings to ditch metro and bring back the start menu from the get go. Why is that so difficult, why is everyone so against that? I would give Windows 8 another chance if that simple necessity was met. Why Microsoft feels the need to tell me what I am going to get is well beyond my comprehension. Last time I checked I was a competent human being who could choose what I wanted in life I don't need Microsoft or you for that matter to tell me Metro is alright. It's not it does not work well for me nor do I want to see it every time I boot up my PC.

Storage 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe + 2TB Intel 960p NVMe + 512GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe + 4TB WD Black HDD
Case Lian Li O11D-XL

It's just a forum. People are sharing opinions about a given topic. And I'm sorry you don't like it, but "I tried Windows 8 and I think it's junk/retarded/trash" is just as valid an opinion as anything that comes from someone who uses it and loves it.

I would argue that the trend of treating desktops like tablets and/or phones is the trend that needs to die (and Windows 8 is part of this trend though the trend is a broader phenomenon).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Disable metro-

1. First, press the Start + R buttons, to open the Run menu.

2. In the Run window, type “regedit” and hit Enter.

3. Now scroll on the top of the list and double click on “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”. This will expand the folder.

4. Do the same for “SOFTWARE “.

5. In the list, search for “Microsoft” and open it.

6. Now using the same procedure, navigate to Windows->CurrentVersion->Explorer and some registry entries will appear in the right side of the screen.

7. Click on the one called “RPenabled” and change its value from “1? to “0?.

Case Lian Li O11D-XL
Disable metro-

3. Now scroll on the top of the list and double click on “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”. This will expand the folder.

6. Now using the same procedure, navigate to Windows->CurrentVersion->Explorer and some registry entries will appear in the right side of the screen.

Wait wait wait I can do it in 3 steps

Diasble Metro:
1) Don't buy Windows 8
2) ?????
3) Profit!

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Metro is not right, removing start menu is not right, defaulting metro instead of regular desktop on non touchscreen pcs is not right, but Win8 has amazing features, 2 sec fast boot with my laptop hard drive, revamped task manager, wonderful file copying windows, cleaner interface, etc and I like those.
By using Start8 I am telling MS that metro is not right for a regular compute (aka not touchscreen one)

windows 8 is more than Metro (even when metro is the main feature, which makes the other features be overlooked)

I understand there is stuff you like about it but by buying it you are saying thanks MS i like Windows 8 enough to be happy..

And by using Start8 how the heck are you saying to MS that your not happy ?.. Guess what they don't give a flying monkey if you use Start8 only if you buy it the OS.

If enough people stood firm on what they believe just like with the XBOX 1 instead of folding maybe shit would of changed by now..

Hit'em were it hurts don't give them ya money.

System Name Custom Built
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Keyboard Logitech
I have no issue with Windows 8 users, it is your prerogative to use it. That being said I personally like how Windows 7 is set up. I dislike how these threads turn into well if you don't like Windows 8 your dumb and know nothing and vice-verso. Use what you want all I want is a simple check box under settings to ditch metro and bring back the start menu from the get go. Why is that so difficult, why is everyone so against that? I would give Windows 8 another chance if that simple necessity was met. Why Microsoft feels the need to tell me what I am going to get is well beyond my comprehension. Last time I checked I was a competent human being who could choose what I wanted in life I don't need Microsoft or you for that matter to tell me Metro is alright. It's not it does not work well for me nor do I want to see it every time I boot up my PC.

First, I have never said Metro is right so the red colored word is wrong. I dislike it aswell. It's not for desktop computers. I have said this many times here but everyone seems to ignore my words. I know that MS make a fatal mistake by prioritizing Metro on regular PCs (that's the first thing I "removed"), and removing start menu instead of making it optional. Yes I understand the frustration about this.

But many people think Windows 8 = Metro and you are forced to it, when you can bring it down easily by installing a classic shell. It's easier or equivalent to changing the default desktop background, or changing themes, or changing icons, or installing a alternate program, whatever.

People ignore the new Windows 8 features aside from the Metro thingy. And I've listed them here.

And if you read posts like Arctucas, then you lose any hope. I haven't still read any post saying that not upgrading to Windows 8 was dumb, and, at least I haven't said that.

It's just a forum. People are sharing opinions about a given topic. And I'm sorry you don't like it, but "I tried Windows 8 and I think it's junk/retarded/trash" is just as valid an opinion as anything that comes from someone who uses it and loves it.

I would argue that the trend of treating desktops like tablets and/or phones is the trend that needs to die (and Windows 8 is part of this trend though the trend is a broader phenomenon).

Even when this is a forum, called a user dummy because he does like Windows 8 is not justifiable. That's not a opinion.
Using those words (Junk, retarded, etc...) without any justification is not valid. If you hate and insult something, at least, state why, it's not that hard.

You are right, a phone is a phone, a tablet is a tablet, and a desktop is a desktop. You cannot blend them. That's why I think MS is going wrong with that trend, unless it makes it OPTIONAL.

I understand there is stuff you like about it but by buying it you are saying thanks MS i like Windows 8 enough to be happy..

And by using Start8 how the heck are you saying to MS that your not happy ?.. Guess what they don't give a flying monkey if you use Start8 only if you buy it the OS.

If enough people stood firm on what they believe just like with the XBOX 1 instead of folding maybe shit would of changed by now..

Hit'em were it hurts don't give them ya money.

Fast boot being the best of them, my computer did took 15 secs or more with windows 7. Now it takes 5 or less (not counting my pc's damn slow POST process). Task manager is far more informative. The copy process is way improved and feels faster (maybe placebo effect). and more...

For example.
Does Microsoft knows that IE is hated by people switching to another browser, and that's why now is trying harder to make it better since IE9?? what happened to Xbox One?? the same could happens to Metro, do you think MS won't do anything when acknowledges people are "removing" Metro?? So even when I give 'em my money, they know that. A company should try to make customers happy and loyal, and MS is going to get the opposite.

I am not defending MS, and that would be the last thing I'd do, specially after the Xbox one fiasco but I think Windows 8 as a whole is getting excessive backlash

Disable metro-

Disable Metro:
1. Download start8 or classic shell or whatever shell mod software you want.
2. Install it. Next next next finish
3. Reboot.
4. Done. You won't see it anymore unless you click the Metro shortcut. Besides, you'll get the Win 7 start menu.

Last edited:

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Disable Metro:
1. Download start8 or classic shell or whatever shell mod software you want.
2. Install it. Next next next finish
3. Reboot.
4. Done. You won't see it anymore unless you click the Metro shortcut. Besides, you'll get the Win 7 start menu.

1. Install Windows 7

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The only thing I miss is Chess Titans, hope someone manages to port it

They have, you just have to pull them out of a working installation of Win7.

System Name Custom Built
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Keyboard Logitech
1. Install Windows 7

My instructions are easier. Specially for not computer literate users

They have, you just have to pull them out of a working installation of Win7.

I'll try to take it from my netbook, but I recall trying it some time ago and didn't worked.
EDIT: No it doesn't work, nothing happens when opened maybe because my netbook is 32 and my desktop 64

Not for me :laugh:

Well OK, but reinstalling drivers, apps, configurations, settings are a pain for me unless MS makes it easier.

Last edited:

cdawall

Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

Not for me :laugh:

Here is what it comes down to, for you two and everyone else arguing about it. This is coming from someone that has used Windows 8 since before it was released.

For everyone that prefer the Start Menu and no Metro simply installing ClassicShell/Start8/Startisback will fix Windows 8 for you. There really are some nice features in Win8. However, at the same time I don't think any of those features are worth paying a large amount of money for. So the people that are on Windows 7, IMO, are completely in the right to say they are sticking with it. It is a solid OS. I wouldn't be using Win8 right now if I didn't get it for practically nothing, and I still don't use it on my main computer.

Now, we also have to understand that a lot of people will not buy or use Win8 based on principle. They don't feel that Microsoft forcing Metro on us is right. And, honestly, I'm in agreement there. So to them buying a copy of Win8 would be telling Microsoft it is OK to force us to use things we don't want to use, it is OK to do things that we believe hinder the usability of the OS and not give us the option to change it. The simple fact is that all Microsoft had to do was leave the option to disable Metro and use the standard Start Menu in the OS and 99% of the arguments against Win8 would be solve. They didn't have to make it the default, they can still have Metro enabled at first, but just give us the option to no use it if we want. IMO, and in the opinions of a lot of other people, the best version of Win8 was the Developer Preview because it had that exact option. So we know that it is possible, but Microsoft decided to remove it.

A lot of people believe they can vote with their wallets, and to an extent it works. Microsoft isn't totally insane. The terrible XboxOne pre-sales make them do a completely 180 on their hardline stance on DRM. So it is possible to send a message to Microsoft with our wallets. However, in that case Microsoft has some pretty heavy competition. In the OS field they have basically no competition, so the change takes a lot longer, but it is still possible. The horrible sales of Win8 has caused Microsoft to at least start to address the issue we have, even if they did so in a laughable insulting way. The fact is that Win8 is a marketing failure, and sales have been terrible. The only reason sales are even anything close to what they are is because Microsoft no longer allows the major computer OEMs to sell new computers with Win7, they have to have Win8 licences. Even if the computer is sold with Win7, it is a downgrade using a Win8 license. That means that computers sold today with Win7 on them actually count as a sale of Win8. But if you look at the market share of Win8 it is lower than OSX at this point, and that is a big black eye to Microsoft. And people have been avoiding buying new computers because of Windows 8. Computer sales have been down dramatically since Windows 8 was released, and market analysts all say it is because people don't want Windows 8. Microsoft is responding to this.

I'll try to take it from my netbook, but I recall trying it some time ago and didn't worked.

No, sorry for the confusion, there are more steps than that I was just saying where you get the source files.

This should help: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...e-Microsoft-Games-from-Windows-7-in-Windows-8

Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

Probably not true having to spend so much time searching for the browser JK.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
And it is funny that collapsed start menu is mentioned. Because the start screen doesn't let you collapse folders. They are all open, which means as I install all the programs I use the start screen gets filled with totally useless junk that I now have to scroll through. Almost every program I install puts two or three icons on the start screen that I'll never use. Yet I have to see every single uninstall icon and every single help icon, and scroll through them, every time I want to run an app that isn't pinned to the tiles screen. And no, I don't want to go through and pin everything to the start screen, that is an extra step that I shouldn't have to do.

Many installers give you the option to put an icon on the start menu... This has never been a problem with me for Windows 8.

System Name TITAN Slayer / CPUCannon / MassFX
Processor i7 5960X @ 4.6Ghz / i7 3960x @5.0Ghz / FX6350 @ 4.?Ghz
Motherboard Rampage V Extreme / Rampage IV Extreme / MSI 970 Gaming
Cooling Phanteks PHTC14PE 2.5K 145mm TRs / Custom waterloop / Phanteks PHTC14PE + 3K 140mm Noctuas
Memory Crucial 2666 11-13-13-25 1.45V / G.skill RipjawsX 2400 10-12-12-34 1.7V / Crucial 2133 9-9-9-27 1.7V
Video Card(s) 3 Fury X in CF / R9 Fury 3840 cores 1145/570 1.3V / Nothing ATM
Storage 500GB Crucial SSD and 3TB WD Black / WD 1TB Black(OS) + WD 3TB Green / WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) LG 29UM67 80Hz/Asus mx299q 2560x1080 @ 84Hz / Asus VX239 1920x1080 @60hz
Case Dismatech easy v3.0 / Xigmatek Alfar (Open side panel)
Audio Device(s) M-audio M-track / realtek ALC 1150
Power Supply EVGA G2 1600W / CoolerMaster V1000 / Seasonic 620 M12-II
Mouse Mouse in review process/Razer Naga Epic 2011/Razer Naga 2014
Keyboard Keyboard in review process / Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014/Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2011
Software Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate
Benchmark Scores cinebench 15.41 3960x @ 5.3ghz Wprime32m 3.352 3960x @ 5.25ghz Super PI 32m: 6m 42s 472ms @5.25ghz
Oh god why
Hell even Mac OSX has it's own version of THE start button it's called spot light you press command space and start typing and it gives you nice list of applications documents or anything else you might be looking for and no it doesn't take up the whole screen the other difference is it's in the top right not the bottom left.
Apple at least understands the difference between a Mac with a keyboard and a iPhone that's why the make Mac OS X and iOS.
Also I will never switch from KB and mouse because motion and touch controls are just too inaccurate you also can't rest your hand on a touch keyboard because it register as a button and motion is to inaccurate / awkward for anything smaller than moving entire application windows around also speech control has the inherent issue of what if I'm not talking to the computer but to someone else.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Many installers give you the option to put an icon on the start menu... This has never been a problem with me for Windows 8.

That option adds the folder and all the f'n icons that I'm complaining about. In Win7 the programs folder was all I saw when scrolling through the list. I found the program I wanted in the folder list, clicked the folder, and ran the program. On Win8 all the folders are open, so I have to see every icon in ever folder and scroll through them all to find the program I want. When I'm trying to find the program I just installed I don't need to be scrolling through 100 "uninstall.exe", "Help", and "Manual" shortcuts. The option to put an icon on the start menu does not pin it to the start screen, so I either have to pin every single program my self or wade through hundreds of useless icons every time I want to find a program.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
That option adds the folder and all the f'n icons that I'm complaining about. In Win7 the programs folder was all I saw when scrolling through the list. I found the program I wanted in the folder list, clicked the folder, and ran the program. On Win8 all the folders are open, so I have to see every icon in ever folder and scroll through them all to find the program I want. When I'm trying to find the program I just installed I don't need to be scrolling through 100 "uninstall.exe", "Help", and "Manual" shortcuts. The option to put an icon on the start menu does not pin it to the start screen, so I either have to pin every single program my self or wade through hundreds of useless icons every time I want to find a program.

What I am is saying is that you need to stop choosing to put items on your start menu. Use Windows+Q to search for things, you can then add icons to your start menu from the search menu as you please.