1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8, cant install updates properly.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by de.das.dude, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie PC Gaming Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    I too have had my share of issues with W8 and 8.1 updates. Even through 3 reinstalls and one refresh. This last round has been the most pleasant, but I do have to surmise, MS "broke" something on Windows updates with W8 series. The internet has too many threads devoted to it vs W7 updates for it not to be a problem. While I know it doesn't happen to everyone, it's still very common.

That said, I've stuck with it, and pushed through, never once rage-quitting and swearing to reinstall W7, so I think I am giving a very honest assessment of W8 and updates. Besides, there are too many improvements in W8.1 vs 7 to not like it overall!

animal007uk says thanks.
  2. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    I ended up just downloading 3 or 4 of the big updates first and letting them install then i will keep doing it till 8.1 is offered.

It also seems to be internet explorer that causes most my issues, It's as if it trys to install fixes for IE9/10 or what ever while trying to install IE11 and it just fails badly lol.

If i don't allow IE to be installed i have a much better experience with updates.

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  3. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Nope not really just facts and proof nothing more and if people cant handle that then its not my problem sorry :)

Im not going to continue with this, the people/community have spoken and thats that.

4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    right, but only the people that you agree with. everyone else is wrong.

5. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    And it's not our problem you don't like windows 8/8.1 and at the end of the day many people use it and have no issues so why does it have to bother you so much?

digibucc says thanks.
  6. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Yep only the majority of the population agrees with me compared to the few that don't, guess you didn't read my other post correctly?, glad your finally realizing it though lol.

I didn't say it was, facts are facts, just google it boys its not that hard lol. and again I guess you skipped my other post? go back have a read and you might learn something. It doesnt bother me at all it makes me money!! so I dont care, but at the end of the day facts are facts boys W8 just isnt a step in the right direction and most agree, thats just how it is, period! If it was as good as you both claim it to be (and yes I have Windows 8 on a PC here) then WHY isnt everyone jumping to it?

If you guys don't know how to use google then you got alot to learn, im sorry. *shrugs*

7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    The reason they jump on it is because it is Windows 8. It IS like Vista in that it has gotten a bad name, everyone hates it even if they have no idea about anything about it. Everyone says it sucks because that is the way it's supposed to be. Vista wasn't terrible, but people thought it was. If you replaced all "Vistas" in Vista with "7" people would not complain. If MS made a custom Windows 8 that said "Windows X" or something and showed it to people they would like it better than they would if it said Windows 8. It has problems sure but if you look beside the UI complaints it is probably a better OS than Windows 7. And if you have problems with the UI, use one of them things that brings back the start meny and you're golden.

The updating process could probably be improved though, that is true.

And besides, Googling ANYTHING related to Windows 8 will bring biased results, because everyone hates it BECAUSE everyone hates it. Complaints (no matter if the cause is real or imagined) is always louder than praise.

EDIT: Wait why did this turn to this again? Windows 9 will be out next year and we're still on this crap? :(

animal007uk and digibucc say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    oh so it's a numbers game then? how many do you need to win?

if only 49% agree do you lose? 51% wins? how many people have to agree with you before you're right? conversely, how many have to disagree before you even consider the possibility that you are wrong?

the majority of people are stupid, so excuse me if I don't take your generalization of their thoughts as law.

9. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    That makes no sense, who is they? because there isnt many that have jumped to Windows 8, thats already a no brainer, people have tried it, didnt like it, found it was just a step backwards, not as good as there current Winodws 7 machine so people avoided it. i should know I run a business selling and fixing computers, people avoid windows 8, even without me saying anything, its just a fact. Exactly right it IS like Vista, and what happened to Vista? people went straight back to XP, same thing here, no different they go find or go back to W7. But why do they hate it Frick? you can say they hate it all you like but to give no reason doesnt make it right, its becasue it was a terrible, slow, crash alot OS, thats just some reasons why. If you say Vista wasnt terrible then why did everyone avoid it? you are making no sense at all. People thought the same about Windows 7, after Vista, but look what happened, its now the most used OS on the planet, why? becasue it didnt suck, even though people thought it would after Vista, so what your saying just doesnt add up.

And why do you think that Frick if you google anything about Windows 8? because it is bad, its not biased if there are millions of people saying the same thing now is it? its people that say it is good is the ones that are biased because they cant handle the facts, period! Your statement makes no sense what so ever sorry :S Would you say the same thing about Windows 7 then? the answer is no.

Of course its a numbers game, if you ever worked in business then its always a numbers game, Ive already won, I dont "need" to win, facts are facts, if you cant see them and decided to avoid the facts then its your lose not mine.

lol your not very bright I can see that, maybe if you looked at the actual numbers then you might see the light, ill give you a test see if you know how to use google, go look on google and tell me the numbers of people using Windows 8 vs 7 heck lets add in Vista also, and tell me what those numbers are, then tell me WHY those numbers are like that.

Yes majority are stupid but obviously smart enough to avoid the bad operating systems hey? like Vista vs XP and W7 vs W8, numbers dont lie, facts are all there for everyone to see. IF W8 was a good OS then people would jump to it, like they did 7, but they didnt, people arnt that stupid after all it seems?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  10. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Again, they hate it because that is what they are supposed to do. That's the point. Some have reason, and good reason, but plenty just hate it for the sake of hating. I know tons of people (anecdotal evidence is the only real evidence on the internet) who absolutely HATED Vista and refused to touch it with a ten foot pole ... without ever even trying it, at all. They refused, because ... that was Right. It's the same with Windows 8.

Aside from UI complaints, some of those are totally valid. And others too obviously, but it doesn't deserve the venom it's getting.

animal007uk says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    So what i can gather from reading all this stuff thats been posted is people who use windows 8.1 are stupid and bias and not very bright.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    de.das.dude says thanks.
  12. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Correct.

animal007uk says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Decrepit Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This thread has served it's purpose, it has already managed to become a Win 7 versus 8 and that aint happening any more.

10 Year Member at TPU