1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'General Software' started by H 3 L L S M A N, Feb 26, 2012.

1. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Apart from ME being a pos not everyone was fine with 98SE, 98SE was a pos as well.

There should be some features in Windows 8 that are interesting, though as far as I can tell nothing that couldn't be added in a service pack for Windows 7. The ARM edition is an exception to that.

Frick says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    I will be using it from day one, first on the laptop, and when I'm overhauling the PC I'll install it on that too. Will also probably install it on the home server since it has alot of improvements in the file and disk management.

I don't really see any downside to using the win 8 beta. Everything should be functional, and I'm looking forward to using alot of the new functions, like improved SkyDrive intergration(together with my windows 7 phone).

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The ME analogy is a bad one for sure, mainly because ME was just plain bad and Win2000 was already out showing people how good it was.

Windows 8 is more like Windows XP MCE. It adds a few extra features that most desktop users are probably never going to use, so most desktop users will likely stick with Windows 7 just like most desktop users stuck with regular XP and didn't bother with MCE unless they were buying a new computer that came with it.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    that sounds more like it.
    for an OS to be compared to ME, it has to be a complete pile of :cry: :banghead:

I'll be loading this on a machine, not my main just yet.

5. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    But do they? Is there a thread with a poll in it (that forces you to hit the frontpage to vote :shadedshu).

Just much ado about nothing so far... terrible interface (that can be disabled).

6. Athlon2K15

Athlon2K15 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    With a disabled metro every pc in my house will be running it from day 1,im not sure I will try this preview build because i dont know what driver compatibility will be like

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. DigitalUK

DigitalUK

Thanks Received:
    i didnt mean windows 8 was rubbish in anyway i meant that windows 98se and windows ME were almost the same OS with afew minor changes, in the same way win7 and win8 are the same OS with afew changes (mainly for the portable market). why would you change from windows 7 to windows 8 (unless you didnt have to pay for it)

8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    That is the only reason I switched over to Win7 from Vista, if I didn't get Win7 for free I'd still be using Vista. There really wasn't a whole lot changed from Vista w/ SP2 to Win7.

If it is anything like the Developer Preview, driver compatibility will not be a problem. For all the hardware I tested it on, if there wasn't a Win8 driver(and there usually wasn't) the Win7 driver worked without any hassle.

Athlon2K15 says thanks.
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I just hope that I can get it for free via my school and/or that Amazon have a preorder deal like they had with Windows 7. I got Win7 Home Premium retail on launch day for about €85.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Didn't Microsoft just put out windows7 and on the heals of this they announced that windows 8 is on it's way. Seems to me there should be a few good years with one OS. I am sticking with windows 7 for now. I see no need to get this OS at all. Windows 7 does every thing and them some. Really what can windows 8 offer that 7 doesn't have now?

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Tablets and tablets. A useful tablet UI.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Meh. I do not use them.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I'll give it a whirl.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Windows 7 came out in 2009, its going on 3 years, and will likely be near 4 years before Windows 8 is actually released. How much longer do you want? No one wants another 10 years like XP...

15. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Why not? Give programers and games to catch up for once! Hell I have DX11 and not one game that can even use it! WTH?

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Live OR Die

Live OR Die

Thanks Received:
    I ran windows 7 way back before RC i was using leaked builds for 8 months why because the leak builds ran 100x better than window vista on my system and in the whole time i was using it i found some what of 6 bugs and they didn't really effect any think major, when the RC come out i couldnt find any bugs normally RC builds are only 1 step off Retail, also CP isn't a RC make sure you read next time.

17. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Considering nothing has really changes for programmers and games since Vista, and Win8 won't have a new DX version, I don't see your point. I've have x64 and not a single game that can even use it, so should Microsoft still be on Vista holding back anything new until programmers and games start consistently use it and we all just sit on our hands, or should the industry continue to move forward regardless of if game developers want to go with it?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  18. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Well if there is no movement from the game and program industry what is the point?
    So what you are saying is windows 8 is really not offering up any thing new or even improved, So what is the point in an upgraded OS if there is no real improvement for desk top users?

10 Year Member at TPU