• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 discussion

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
Well I just watched this video that was posted showing a demo of Windows 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8klHxUoFds

At first when I heard about Windows 8 I thought it was just for Tablets. But I was wrong and I'm glad. Yea its inspired by tablets and touch screens, but I still like it. For one, a big improvement is that Windows 8 supports ARM! yay :laugh: I think a quad core arm @ 2.5ghz with a tegra 2 would be awesome for a tablet or netbook. or even a dual core. I'm not sure how well older apps will run on the ARM cores though. I'm hoping Win8 will have drivers that will allow older stuff to just work. I think RTS games and other "point and click" games would be awesome on a tablet. Starcraft II multiplayer on a 4G enabled tablet phone anyone? Another thing I like is that you can now use USB devices on ARM platforms thanks to win8. for example, how neat would it be to hook up a portable blu-ray burner and burn a copy of an amature movie (not pron, but I guess you could do that too) and share it with someone. Or a "mini" printer, keyboard, mouse, etc. anything using USB. Prop it up on a dock on your desktop, hook in a usb hub with all your stuff already connected, and instant "PC". I also like that "apps" normally tablet/phone only can now be used as well with a pc. I really like the "ergonomic" virtual keyboard they made for tablets. basically relocating 1/2 the keypad to each of the two lower corners your using to type with... so no more pecking, you can thumb type. I was going to wait and purchase a bulldozer based fusion laptop... but now I'll wait and get a "tablet" with a quad core arm and tegra. what i like best about this is that now will I no longer have to buy seperate "mediocre" devices. I can just get one high quality device that does it all. Phone, PC, diag tool, gpu, camera (video and pix), wi-fi hotspot, etc.

also, this could put nvidia in potentially the same spot as AMD. now that this OS is ARM capable, I see no reason why nvidia wont start pumping out "desktop" ARM cpus with high quality IGPs. I see no reason why nvidia wouldn't be able to enter the CPU market via ARM thanks to windows 8. More competition is great for everyone!

basically, i see no reason why we won't see the following soon
Multi-core ARM based systems with Win8
nVidia's version of an APU Tegra using ARM and their gfx cards for desktops.
amd contenuing with their apu
intel beefing up their igp to compete with AMD's APU and nVidia's Tegra.
A 2.5ghz-3ghz+ quad core ARM with... say... geforce 550TI performance level graphics etc

I'm curious to see where this leads in the future.

Also, wouldn't it be kickass to dual boot Droid and Windows 8 on a Desktop grade (speed wise) tablet phone? oh an being able to ditch your isp in favor of 4G networks. the average $45 most pay for an ISP could go to a nice mobile data plan. (although if you do a lot of havey downloading I'd stay with a traditional isp)

who knows, perhaps this is the start of the death of the x86 cpu.

oh did I forget to mention up to 40% performance increase from win7 to win8? (in thanks to the new UEFI bios system)

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I'm curious to see where this leads in the future.

Great Scott Marty!!

there will be Pyramids in the desert made out of Icecream and sand dunes made out of cream flavored sherbet!

this could mean everything and nothing!!

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps