• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 Discussion.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
OSx is an extremely accessible OS that any user can pick up.

I would hazzard to say that this isnt true. especially when i had to hack my own Mac Mini to get OS X 10.7 to run on it.

imagine the horror of trying to help your parents or grandparents with this abominable os. yeah. think about that one for a while lol

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
imagine the horror of trying to help your parents or grandparents with this abominable os. yeah. think about that one for a while lol

:laugh:

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
Oh I am aware.....As of right now..... But your statement is not necessarily true either. MS is as close to a monopoly as you can get. If you want to continue using programs (Most of which are only compatible for MS windows) you are forced to deal with it.
The government did not do a good enough job splitting it up awhile back. This situation is slowly getting better....But it is still not satisfactory for most people.

Examples:
Move to apple you can't upgrade Hardware
Move to LinX Half of your shit works (Most games won't)
Move to Chrome (It's getting there and one day I think Google Chrome "Or variant" will be MS's biggest competitor but they are still very young in this market)

If you want to be a gamer/ Benchmarking enthusiast Windows right now is your only main option. Or even if you are a power user MS windows is you only real option.

But if you are a teen girl or want easy usability or if you want to code everything yourself or some buisness.....then sure..... there are several other options out there.

why are you singling out teen girls? I know a lot of them that use Windows and won't use a Mac.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Because otherwise people will complain that the new OS didn't change enough from the previous version and it's not worth upgrading because it's almost exactly the same?

Oh, and btw, I'm pretty sure I don't remember there being a lot of hate on Windows 7 when it was released.

there was still a lot of hate. you can find it on TPU if you search for XP and 7

Yo_Wattup

System Name Desktop/Gamer/Digital Audio Wokstation ||| HTPC
Processor 2500k @ 4.65ghz ||| AMD A8 @ 3.6ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 with single Blue Antec Tri-Cool 120mm ||| Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 @1900mhz 8-9-9-24 ||| 8GB G.Skill 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) 2x HIS HD6950 2GB Crossfire, 6970 clocks ||| HD6550D
Storage 120GB Intel 320 series SSD + 2TB storage ||| 1TB Seagate
Display(s) 32" Sony Bravia LCD 1080p ||| 50" Hitachi Plasma 1080p
Case Raidmax Raptor modded to 7 fans ||| A compact HP Case
Audio Device(s) Firewire audio interface + two 9" studio monitors, 450 REAL watts ||| onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ||| generic 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate + Win 8 consumer preview||| Win 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Never drops below 60fps Battlefield 3 everything on max, fov 90. :D
Vista is generally the same as Windows 7 with the exception of being extremely bloated at launch. OSx is an extremely accessible OS that any user can pick up. The same can not be said for Windows 8.

I heavily disagree, I was forced to use OSX the other day and installing a program was an absolute nightmare. It took me ages to find the program files in the useless 'finder' (equivalent to windows explorer) and half of them weren't there... I shudder at the thought of using OSX with multiple HDDs....

naoan

System Name AMD?
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software 7 X64
why am i doomed to hear these same arguments EVERY TIME A NEW OS IS RELEASED?

I don't remember hearing this many complaints on numerous sites and review with 7, hell, even Vista beta was more lukewarmly bashed.

I heavily disagree, I was forced to use OSX the other day and installing a program was an absolute nightmare. It took me ages to find the program files in the useless 'finder' (equivalent to windows explorer) and half of them weren't there... I shudder at the thought of using OSX with multiple HDDs....

It took me months to find out how to shift+delete files on their explorer (forgot the name), still haven't found out today. Finally opted to ran terminal and rm. :banghead:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1

Since OS X doesn't have a folder labeled "Applications" as well as an Application packaging setup so application files are all put together. Every Installer I've used on Mac as well has been simple to use. I don't know what version of OS X you were using but you're not describing 10.4 through 10.7 to my knowledge. Last but not least, at least I can move applications in OS X, Windows throws a hissy fit because of its archaic registry. Have you ever tried to unbrick MS Office that was on a disk where the drive letter changed? It's the biggest pain in the world and OS X doesn't have this problem.

Just because you can't figure out how to use it doesn't mean it's a bad OS. Plenty of people have issues figuring out Windows as well.

I would hazzard to say that this isnt true. especially when i had to hack my own Mac Mini to get OS X 10.7 to run on it.

Runs fine on every C2D Mac I've dumped my work's image on to, granted they're all laptops but I'm sure 3 of the old 15" MBPs are just as old and work just as well.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core i7-14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H
Cooling DeepCool AK500 WH
Memory Crucial Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 (CP2K16G56C46U5)
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition
Storage PNY CS3140 2TB / Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Philips 32M1N5800A
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini (White)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless Titanium 600W
Keyboard Dell KM714 Wireless
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I still need to try it out.

I tried it out when it was available June 1, and its crap. Windows 7/Windows Vista, look like next gen OS. Windows 8 looks like a service pack with UI upgrade for Windows 95

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Last but not least, at least I can move applications in OS X, Windows throws a hissy fit because of its archaic registry.
"Archaic registry?" The system registry is a godsend to programmers. Applications that are properly installed make a key in the registry that, at bare minimum, tell where it is installed. Any application looking to interface with said installed application can check the registry. If the key is not there, there's a good chance it isn't installed. If the key is there, you can often read the location to find it and verify it by checking the executable.

Not to mention, Windows stores a lot of its settings in the registry as well. There are thousands of tweaks that can be made in there if you know what to look for.

The registry is a simple database available to all applications on all versions of Windows. It is one of the features that puts Windows in a league of its own.

If you want to "move" an application on Windows, do it the proper way: uninstall it from the old location and install it in the new.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
I think a lot of people are missing the big picture. Microsoft is kind of genius when it comes to changing the interface in Windows 8 to Metro and essentially forcing everyone to use it.

Desktop computing for the mainstream is going away. Within the next 10 years the majority of computing devices will be tablet or mobile and like touchscreen, or who knows what.

Designing Windows 8 to be a to be primarily a touch/tile based OS means that the shift to mobile devices will require much less "training" when the market actually shifts very far away from the desktop environment. As a matter of fact, the shift should be damn near seamless for the average end user when moving from a desktop to a mobile device.

Tablets are only going to get more powerful and cheaper as time goes on. Microsoft is making sure they can capitalize on whatever direction the market heads. Their entire suite of software will work across all of their platforms eventually and they'll be poised to keep a large share of the market.

Apple is ahead of them in the mobile/tablet game. Google isn't too far behind Apple and Microsoft is at risk of irrelevancy in the mobile market.

I don't get it.

Windows Xp had issues, because it didn't have drivers and was basterdized off of the NT structure. People didn't like XP for various reasons, but it stuck around.

Vista rolled around, and had a bad decision for every good one. Streamlining security brought UAC up constantly. Massive system requirements meant moving the definition of a "low end" computer up. Promises that the OS would work were broken. Obfuscation of features, which people had gotten used to finding in one place, raised consumer ire. All of this was combined with poor driver support for quite some time, and people moaned.

7 was Vista reworked. People moaned that the underlying issues remained, despite numerous tweaks and improvements that made 7 more palateable (read: 7 was Vista with more thought).

My problem is that Metro is a very good interface, if you have a touchscreen. Assuming you've got a regular PC, the UI changes are either ambivalent or down-right foolish . I can see tablets benefiting from this, but a desktop with this seems like a fool's errand. I'm not getting 8 anyways. 9 should be a better thought-out version, that I actually might find reasonably useable.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Desktop computing for the mainstream is going away. Within the next 10 years the majority of computing devices will be tablet or mobile and like touchscreen, or who knows what.
People have been predicting the death of desktops for a decade now. Desktops are still king and even if laptops do manage to eek past, they will remain extremely competitive for two reasons: initial costs and cost of ownership (read: repairs).

You can buy a $600 desktop or a $600 tablet, in a year, you drop the tablet and it breaks, you spend $600 on a new one. In the same period, you may have had a power supply costing $50 to fix. In another year, your tablet gets stolen, another $600. Meanwhile, you install more RAM in your desktop for another $50. In another year, your tablet got a little too wet by being left outside during a shower, another $600. Major malfunction on your desktop with your motherboard getting fired and the monitor's LCD burning out, $200 to fix both. What's our total now? $2400 over 4 years versus $300? Probably after the second year, the money concious would return to a desktop. :roll:

Other than that, I agree. Microsoft is merging the OS for desktop, laptop, ultrabook, netbook, and phone into one package. It may hurt some because it's an expert at nothing but a novice in everything but...only time will tell if the gamble pays off.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
I'm still on XP/2K3. Sounds like I don't need to upgrade ;)

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
Imho, for power users, Win8 doesnt actually get alot worse, you hardly ever have to use the metro interface, and when you do, you can just use it in the exact same way as you would in windows 7(ie, press windows button, type the program you want to use, and press enter).

To be honest, everyone raging about windows 8 being so crap and all just needs to grow up. because
1: If you dont want to learn a few new tricks to be able to use win8 to its fullest(and probably even improve the productivity compared to win7), you're actually not a poweruser, but a "I DONT WANNA CHAAANGE" user. This obviously isnt really professional or beneficial in any way.

2: The interface just works better for the 80% of the people they are going to sell it to (who dont how to use any windows anyway).

and 3: Under the hood, win 8 actually has alot of things that just make it superior to compared to win 7 (think of improved taskmanager, improved networking, improved disk management, improved kernel, and, although debatable improved desktop UI(with the ribbon interface in the explorer)).

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
It's the "shit - HOT" Flip flop...

Win95(SHIT) - Win98(HOT) - WinME(SHIT) - WinXP(HOT) - Vista(SHIT) - Win7(HOT) - Win8(SHIT) - Win9(HOT)

So don't worry - like so many UTTER F#@K up OS's before it, Microsoft will soon smell the fail and release a proper OS again...

Last edited:

naoan

System Name AMD?
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software 7 X64
Imho, for power users, Win8 doesnt actually get alot worse, you hardly ever have to use the metro interface, and when you do, you can just use it in the exact same way as you would in windows 7(ie, press windows button, type the program you want to use, and press enter).

To be honest, everyone raging about windows 8 being so crap and all just needs to grow up. because
1: If you dont want to learn a few new tricks to be able to use win8 to its fullest(and probably even improve the productivity compared to win7), you're actually not a poweruser, but a "I DONT WANNA CHAAANGE" user. This obviously isnt really professional or beneficial in any way.

2: The interface just works better for the 80% of the people they are going to sell it to (who dont how to use any windows anyway).

and 3: Under the hood, win 8 actually has alot of things that just make it superior to compared to win 7 (think of improved taskmanager, improved networking, improved disk management, improved kernel, and, although debatable improved desktop UI(with the ribbon interface in the explorer)).

Just my 2 cents

1: Change for the sake of change eh?
2: Who told you that? Your crystal ball? :roll:
3: Process explorer, download/uploading at fullspeed with 7 and that's what matter most to most people anyway, never had disk failure because of 7 and citation needed, barely have any BSOD on 7 (if there's any it's cause of OC or bad HW), absolutely debatable.

Over_Lord

News Editor
System Name BAH! - - tHE ECo FReAK
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 1.15V
Motherboard ASUS 785G EVO
Cooling Stock
Memory Corsair Titanium 4GB DDR3 1600MHz C9
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5850 @ 1.049v
Storage Seagate 7200.12 500GB
Display(s) BenQ G2220HD
Case Cooler Master Elite 334
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VX550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
On windows 7 and happy to be there

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It's the "shit - HOT" Flip flop...

Win95(SHIT) - Win98(HOT) - WinME(SHIT) - WinXP(HOT) - Vista(SHIT) - Win7(HOT) - Win8(SHIT) - Win9(HOT)

So don't worry - like so many UTTER F#@K up OS's before it, Microsoft will soon smell the fail and release a proper OS again...

You forgot Windows 2000 which was good ;)

System Name gaming system
Processor 2600k @ 4.2 ghz
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright ultra extreme 120 rev.C w/noctua NF-S12B push/pull
Memory 16gb corsair vengeance 2400 c11 @1.5 v/
Video Card(s) GB gtx670 WF3x sli @1080/1372/6660(core/boost/mem)
Storage 2x samsung 850evo 250gb raid 0 ,2tb wdblack, 3TB wd purple
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH, asus VH242t/19" lg 1440x900
Case fractal design r4
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1050
Mouse Razer abyssus
Keyboard corsair k70
Software Windows 10 pro x64
I used the RT version for a week, and i unistalled it asap, windows 7 ftw

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Oh I am aware.....As of right now..... But your statement is not necessarily true either. MS is as close to a monopoly as you can get. If you want to continue using programs (Most of which are only compatible for MS windows) you are forced to deal with it.
The government did not do a good enough job splitting it up awhile back. This situation is slowly getting better....But it is still not satisfactory for most people.

Examples:
Move to apple you can't upgrade Hardware
Move to LinX Half of your shit works (Most games won't)
Move to Chrome (It's getting there and one day I think Google Chrome "Or variant" will be MS's biggest competitor but they are still very young in this market)

If you want to be a gamer/ Benchmarking enthusiast Windows right now is your only main option. Or even if you are a power user MS windows is you only real option.

But if you are a teen girl or want easy usability or if you want to code everything yourself or some buisness.....then sure..... there are several other options out there.

So had they not been such a monopoly we could still be using those good old 16bit apps, damn you MS

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Windows Xp had issues, because it didn't have drivers and was basterdized off of the NT structure. People didn't like XP for various reasons, but it stuck around.

Windows NT all the way to Windows 8 uses the NT kernel, not just Windows XP.

I'm still on XP/2K3. Sounds like I don't need to upgrade ;)

Except that MS doesn't release patches for XP anymore and IIRC if they haven't already stopped security updates are slated to end very soon for XP/2k3.

: The interface just works better for the 80% of the people they are going to sell it to (who dont how to use any windows anyway).

You mean how Metro doesn't let you exit an application unless you kill it in the task manager? It just "suspends" it and keeps it in memory until there is no memory left and only then will it move the "suspended" process to the page file. I don't like Windows 8 because Metro is a serious usibility issue for desktop and laptop users. That is only because everyone uses Tablets, right? :banghead:

1: Change for the sake of change eh?
2: Who told you that? Your crystal ball?
3: Process explorer, download/uploading at fullspeed with 7 and that's what matter most to most people anyway, never had disk failure because of 7 and citation needed, barely have any BSOD on 7 (if there's any it's cause of OC or bad HW), absolutely debatable.

Have you never seen this?

Let me take a quote from it:
The EC claimed on Thursday that Microsoft wants to charge too much for interoperability protocol licences that enable third-party software vendors to develop software compatible with Windows servers. In a damning statemement, the EC claimed that the protocols "lack significant innovation", even though Microsoft has been awarded patents on much of the technology in question.

"Microsoft has agreed that the main basis for pricing should be whether its protocols are innovative," said EU competition commissioner Neelie Kroes. "The Commission's current view is that there is no significant innovation in these protocols. I am therefore again obliged to take formal measures to ensure that Microsoft complies with its obligations."

This dispute dates back to the landmark EC antitrust ruling against Microsoft in 2004. Under this, Microsoft was ordered to hand over server interoperability specifications for work group server operating systems so that rival software makers could ensure full compatibility with Windows.

Microsoft submitted the specifications in a 1,500 page document in July 2006. After six months of examination the EC has concluded that they lack innovation, and that as such Microsoft's proposed pricing is excessive.

The real point is that ligitigation has also been passed to ensure that Windows sports significant change and innovation between versions, so it's no unfathomable that MS is just thinking of something new because they're required by law. :banghead:

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The real point is that ligitigation has also been passed to ensure that Windows sports significant change and innovation between versions, so it's no unfathomable that MS is just thinking of something new because they're required by law.

It's a bit hard to define what is a significant change or innovation here. If there is a change in Windows (For example an improved scheduler or some other similar stuff) it may be significant for someone and worthless for others.
For me it's significant if the OS is more stable than the previous version, I don't need some crappy and shinny apps just so they can say they are innovating.
EC should GTFO and concentrate on the problems with EU companies which are creating a monopoly (I could go into details here about which company and the way they do it but that would be seriously off topic).

That's just my point of view on this ;)