• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 faster boot: cold boot / hibernate combo

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
And I really don't mind paying the ~$100 to move to the new OS every 3-4 years either. I put more than that into hardware in a month, I can put it into software every few years.

I don't either as long as there is a compelling reason to do so.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I never had any problems with Vista. I upgraded to 7 only because I knew that MS was bailing on it because of the bad rap it got due to the crap drivers available.

Windows ME was an abomination that we really should try not to mention ... ever again ... in any context ... or someone may have flashbacks and take a hostage.
Windows XP (pre-SP1 and 2) was just painful (however not quite the abomination that was ME)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I never had any problems with Vista. I upgraded to 7 only because I knew that MS was bailing on it because of the bad rap it got due to the crap drivers available.

Windows ME was an abomination that we really should try not to mention ... ever again ... in any context ... or someone may have flashbacks and take a hostage.
Windows XP (pre-SP1 and 2) was just painful (however not quite the abomination that was ME)

That's interesting. I ran XP since it came out and I always found it ok. It was kinda slow on the hardware of the day (at least on my low end stuff) but I always found it to be broadly stable and well behaved. But yes, it could play up at times.

Of course, it all depends on what kinds of usage you put your PC through and mine was distinctly average, lol. I have to say that since I moved to 7, I noticed how quirks and glitches I'd seen with XP and had grown to view as "normal" were actually absent. In fact, I've found 7 to be so stable, that if someone has stability problems or other issues with a 7 rig, first thing I suspect is third party software or hardware and the OS comes a distant third.

Microsoft really has come a long way from the unstable garbage of a decade ago.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Take example Windows Vista to 7 n ME to XP

Honestly, for a normal user, I see no reason to move away from Vista. Since SP2(and partly SP1) it has been a very good OS, especially now that hardware manufacturers have had time to get proper driver support out. I would say XP users have a compelling reason to move to something newer though.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Honestly, for a normal user, I see no reason to move away from Vista. Since SP2(and partly SP1) it has been a very good OS, especially now that hardware manufacturers have had time to get proper driver support out. I would say XP users have a compelling reason to move to something newer though.

While I agree Vista has worked well since SP2, I think its still worth having 7 for the following reasons:

- Product support. It's Microsoft's current OS and Vista is not being sold any more, so support will tend to be that much better for 7 and the difference only increases with time
- Better security
- 7's GUI is tangibly faster and snappier than Vista's, especially on lower end PCs
- The GUI has some nice improvements over Vista. Sure, not worth upgrading just for this, but it all helps
- General under the hood improvements. One may not realize them explicitely, but they are still providing a benefit
- Uses less RAM. However, with the retrofit of DX11 onto Vista, I don't know if that's still true

Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
To any Microsoft HR people who might be reading this and looking for PR people ...
Windows 8 is going to usher in a new era of immersive, one-touch computing experience that not only the user but the whole family can gather to enjoy in a way not see since the discovery of fire. With an interface that goes beyond intuitive and opens the realm of thought based ingenuity, people will no longer have to diverge themselves from their daily routines to use their computers to their maximal potential. With a glance and a touch, Windows 8 will take away from the mundane exercise of mouse clicking to the full power of the cloud that will wrap you in the effervecent purity of going beyond your dreams to the fullfilment of all life has to offer in the digital age and beyond.

Can I has job?

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Kreij, was that a real quote, or you made that up with your usual humour?! :)

It sounds like marketing drivel worthy of a Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field. :laugh:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I made it up. You should know me by now Q. lol

Read it slowly ... what does it tell you about Windows 8?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Qubit ... Read what you wrote defending Window 7 and then read my Windows 8 PR piece again.
Did either of us list any substantial, meaningful documented facts that someone could point to in an argument for the OS?

Just wondering? rofl

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
While I agree Vista has worked well since SP2, I think its still worth having 7 for the following reasons:

- Product support. It's Microsoft's current OS and Vista is not being sold any more, so support will tend to be that much better for 7 and the difference only increases with time
- Better security
- 7's GUI is tangibly faster and snappier than Vista's, especially on lower end PCs
- The GUI has some nice improvements over Vista. Sure, not worth upgrading just for this, but it all helps
- General under the hood improvements. One may not realize them explicitely, but they are still providing a benefit
- Uses less RAM. However, with the retrofit of DX11 onto Vista, I don't know if that's still true

- I don't really agree with better. Yes, Win7 is set to be supported by Microsoft through 2015, Vista will be supported 24 months after the next service pack, and with SP3 supposidly coming in 2012 that puts it at 2014. So if they already have Vista, they might as well stick with it until 8 comes out and get the benefit of even longer support than Win7. And any new software that works on Win7 will work on Vista since they are essentially the exact same core.
- Security isn't really any better with Vista and Win7.
- For normal users the minor GUI improvements won't be noticeable.
- The "under the hood" improvements won't be noticed by a normal users either, so it is useless to them.
- 4GB of RAM is $25 right now, and that is all you need to run Vista(actually it runs just fine on 2GB), so again normal users aren't affected by the minor memory use improvement.

:toast: