• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 'Irrelevant' For PC Users

kciaccio

Processor QuadCore Intel Core i7-2600K, 4433 MHz (43 x 103)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68 DELUXE GEN 3
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 8 gigs DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video Card(s) POWER COLOR HD6870 EYEFINITY 6 EDITION 2GB
Storage KINGSTON HYPER X 120G SSD
Display(s) Quad set of Acer X193X's AND 2 Dell P2210 - 22"
Case Silverstone Raven 2 WHITE LIMITED EDITION
Power Supply NZXT HALE 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

bear jesus

System Name Gaming temp// HTPC
Processor AMD A6 5400k // A4 5300
Motherboard ASRock FM2A75 PRO4// ASRock FM2A55M-DGS
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-D1284 // stock phenom II HSF
Memory 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance // 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance low profile
Storage 64gb sandisk pulse SSD and 500gb HDD // 500gb HDD
Display(s) acer 22" 1680x1050
Power Supply Seasonic G-450 // Corsair CXM 430W
What they have added is app integration

I have to ask, wtf is that about? programs are integrated in to windows 8? what does that even mean?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Lol, wut?

You can go back to your desktop, its one of the icons on the homepage, you CAN multitask, just like windows 7.

What they have added is app integration, and more common look and feel for idiots who think their Iphone is the greatest shit since shit on crackers came forth from the asshole os Steve Jobs. And the ability for more streamlined media use. Perhaps once the DRM cockblocks get out of the way they will have a fully featured way to access all your media as part of your personal space that extends beyond most peoples jerkoff station.

Sounds more like a crybaby journalist couldn't figure out a new Beta toy and got frustrated so they wrote a hate piece.

Lol wut?

So as a network administrator I have to shut off the the features of Win8 (if I choose to upgrade) because I don't need app integration, media use or social networking on my domain? how does that benefit me at all? Why would I even consider this OS for my work networks over XP or 7?

Given everything I've read on the OS and what I do on my own computer I don't see any real reason to embrace this OS at all.

While the OP does not cover all potential usage of the OS, I hardly see it as a hate/hit piece.

Poisonsnak

Processor FX-8150
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme lapped & shimmed
Memory Patriot Viper Extreme 8GB DDR3-1866 9-11-9-27 1.65V
Video Card(s) MSI 6950 2GB Twin Frozr II @ 6970 875/1375
Storage Crucial M4 0309 64GB
Display(s) Dell U2410
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows [8] Developer Preview
I'm using the developer preview and loving it as well. The new Task Manager and new file transfer dialog are great, it boots fast, and everything I loved from Windows 7 is still there.

If you do use any of the new metro apps the whole tombstone (suspend) thing takes a bit of getting used to, but the windows+tab task switching between them is kind of cool (or hold the mouse on the left side of your screen to get a preview of what you're switching to). Doesn't work with legacy applications though.

A lot of the new metro style menus look great, and you can tell they would look great on any screen too, whether a 7" or a 70", fonts seem to be really well done. If you use the metro control panel to change your desktop wallpaper the new image browser is pretty nice.

I'll admit I prefer a start menu over the "start screen", but start search still works just as before (looks different but same keystrokes), the only thing really bothering me right now is it seems like you need a mouse to shut down (the only way I've figured out how is by mousing to the bottom left, click settings, then shut down on the menu on the right.

Also a note to anyone trying it out on an AMD graphics card - the Win7 catalyst driver + CCC seems to work fine, the Win8 one does not come with CCC (or whatever it's called now) and if you manually install the Win7 CCC it does not work with the Win8 driver.

Attachments

• win8_task_proc.png
    win8_task_proc.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 429
  • win8_task_perf.png
    win8_task_perf.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 433
  • win8_file_transfer.png
    win8_file_transfer.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 415
Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
I could have told you this the second i laid eyes on the first screenshot. I dont know WHY they are calling this Windows 8.

System Name DeathAdder
Processor Intel Core i7 6700K @4.6 Ghz 1.31v
Motherboard Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170X
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 280mm
Memory 4x8GB G.Skill 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI NVidia GeForce 980 Ti 6GB
Storage 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB + 16 TB in HDDs
Display(s) LG UC87C 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case NZXT H440 White
Audio Device(s) JBL LSR310S + 2x JBL LSR308
Power Supply EVGA P2 Platinum 1000 W
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
Ok, hating on this OS is just idiotic. All the shit everyone complains about can be disabled. You know what you're left with after that? A very efficient and full featured OS. Largely in part because of trying to work on arm based systems. This will be the first windows OS where I won't have to tweak the services for every scrap of performance on a netbook or when running benchmarks. Efficiency not your thing? Fine, can it and wait for windows 15 or w/e

Ok. So I spend 150 bucks, and then disable all shit to make it what I am currently using?

I guess this what I'd term as idiotic. Spending on something that doesn't offer anything new to the users is plain nonsense.

Metro should have been on the Win8 Tablet edition or whatever they wanna call it. There should have been better improvements on the Windows 8 like an integrated App Launcher(QuickSilver for Mac), a newer UI(a usable one at that), a lighter WMP, an integrated download manager, a built in dictionary, a hardware monitor, etc etc etc.

Only good thing about Windows 8 is its Memory usage as of now.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Windows 8 was suppose to be a major step forward and a complete re-design. Anyhow I havent used it yet so I will wait before I pass judgement.

bostonbuddy

Lol wut?

So as a network administrator I have to shut off the the features of Win8 (if I choose to upgrade) because I don't need app integration, media use or social networking on my domain? how does that benefit me at all? Why would I even consider this OS for my work networks over XP or 7?

Given everything I've read on the OS and what I do on my own computer I don't see any real reason to embrace this OS at all.

While the OP does not cover all potential usage of the OS, I hardly see it as a hate/hit piece.

Windows 8 will prob have a corporate version already like that, aka windows 7 w/ faster boot times. Its so when your supposed to be working it'll be easier to download a couple movies off your computer at home onto your smartphone to watch.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
I dunno. I'm kind of excited to see what features Windows 8 brings to the table. Microsoft is obviously spreading their influence around the whole home now. It looks like Win8 is going to be run on a plethora of devices, including PC, Xbox, Mobile and possibly others I can't think of. I'm pretty excited to think of what all of this will mean.

If it's easy to network all of your devices in your home, say stream from your PC to your TV over the Xbox, keep your phone up to date and synced while at home and even integrate better with Ford's Sync (Microsoft!) it could be a really, really cool thing. I'm sure the RC of Win8 will have options to disable Metro during installation. Relax, kick back and see what the future holds, people.

AshesOfThePlope

that screenshot looks awful...literally looks just like the most recent xbl update minus the green/white

but this is actually good news to me because i feel like windows 7 with stable enough to stick to for a long time like i did with XP

Windows 8 interface appears to be for average consumers - not techies.

Its a step in the right direction.

[On a seperate note, I think Win7 will be a favorite for enthusiasts for a long time to come]

djcl.ear

Two scenes:
-A couple of days ago, a friend asked me to send him a text message. Seconds later, a very natural voice, reads out the written message. No robot or virtual nuances, just a voice with perfect diction.
-On another meeting I witness how several adolescents take turns to compete on a Kinect dance game. The interesting part is how their moves are remotely tracked and how they remotely select options to navigate menus with simple hands/arm movements.

I certainly expect Windows 8 to allow for physical remote controlling most of the programs I use, and to integrate that with voice recognition/control (the way parrot nowadays does in cars). I'd like to walk around my office while dictating whatever I'd like to write and also permitting fast internet navigation... freed from a mouse or a keyboard.

Team those long promised advances with already ubiquitous touch commands... and then customers will have the URGE to move to Windows 8 for use at the office, homes and most everywhere really.
If Microsoft and Intel are not already heavily investing their best techs and big money in this, they'll soon be losing the race.

Those three new controlling ways (remote, voice, touch) are defining big advances already coming out... and are going to drive those firms who want to be part of the enormous technological and scientific change taking place in most any area.
(Did anyone saw the remote controlling teamed with holograms recently shown?)

Ok, possibly at 2012 Windows 8 wont provide all these functions, but I hope it lays the needed basis, so I am able to later buy Kinect 2 plus install the able GUI upgrade, all into an OS that does it efficiently from start.

I already run on W7 64 bits and if Microsoft don't deliver this time. Apple or Android surely soon will... Everyone really, the only real remaining question is time, When?
W8 sales and adoption rates will depend much on the answer to this question.

And this is the story of how Apple finally took the lead.

Nope. Actually, the Apple side have been complaining about the "tablet-isation" of the OSX echosystem. Apple is bringing sandboxing and heavy restrictions to what softwares can access. There are also talks of an OSX appstore becoming mandatory for ALL software installs.

NOt bashing anyone here, but the traditionnal "workstation" desktop for powerusers is a declining trend, including games.

System Name Main PC
Processor PII 925 x4 @3.724GHz (266x14) 1.525v NB 2660 1.425v
Motherboard Gigabyte AM3 GA-890XA-UD3 (790x+SB850)
Cooling Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B
Memory Hyperx 8GB (2x4) 1600@1418 8-7-7-20-27-1t
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD
Display(s) LCD Samsung 24" 16:9
Case Cooler Master HAF 912
Audio Device(s) On-Board HD
Power Supply CM 750w GX |3.3v@25a|5v@25a|12v@60a
Software Kubuntu dual boot /Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores later...
I don't care about Windows 8 yet...

I usually wait about 1 years when a new windows comes out in the market before i buy one , i always wait for the patch/SP1 or bugs to get fix which take M$ about 6 months to a year to get it right or more stable & all...
So for me no windows 8 until 2013

One thing that bugs me is... why still make a stupid 32bit OS , WHY???

If we want to have real progress in 64bit software & games it would be time to "enforce" that buy making 32bit OS obsolete , time to move on.. IMO

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Lol wut?

Windows 8 will prob have a corporate version already like that, aka windows 7 w/ faster boot times. Its so when your supposed to be working it'll be easier to download a couple movies off your computer at home onto your smartphone to watch.

I dunno. I'm kind of excited to see what features Windows 8 brings to the table. Microsoft is obviously spreading their influence around the whole home now. It looks like Win8 is going to be run on a plethora of devices, including PC, Xbox, Mobile and possibly others I can't think of. I'm pretty excited to think of what all of this will mean.

If it's easy to network all of your devices in your home, say stream from your PC to your TV over the Xbox, keep your phone up to date and synced while at home and even integrate better with Ford's Sync (Microsoft!) it could be a really, really cool thing. I'm sure the RC of Win8 will have options to disable Metro during installation. Relax, kick back and see what the future holds, people.

Tada.

NFD, and further integration into making your life easier doesn't sound good?

Many other companies are looking for the integration solution. Google search maps to a new restaurant and have it appear in your phone as you leave, and it automatically starts playing the music where you left off at home by streaming it across the net over your car stereo, while getting traffic and weather updates for your route, while the baby sitter watching your kids gets shut down from watching more adult oriented content?

Or how about you shutoff the Xbox as your kids try to play games and are up too late as it links to the desktop across the network and their home profile has enforced media and time restrictions?

Memory is getting larger on phones and other mobile devices, but data is getting larger too. 32GB doesn't go as far as it used ti with 1080 video, and 8MP cameras, but auto sync across the net or wireless or any access point to your home computer and not only do you have a backup, but also access, and now add the cloud as a smart most frequently used item backup/storage/personal share point?

All the things that are going to happen, and almost everyone wants it to happen, but its just who gets there first, and who does it best.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

[On a seperate note, I think Win7 will be a favorite for enthusiasts for a long time to come]

Considering they finally made it boot and load programs as quickly as 98SE did on an Athlon Machine. (XP was never as fast as 98SE, Vista is worse than XP) Tell You the truth MS should just do minor updates instead of SPs, aka Windows 7.1 .2 etc and keep major releases to solid Numbers.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
I want to install windows 8 but I can't be bothered to reinstall my programs.

Is there a way to shift my C drive programs to my E drive and then automatically transfer them back to C when I have windows 8 installed?

djcl.ear

Just a few hints.
"Notebook makers plan to employ touch panels for ultrabooks to accommodate new features in Windows 8"
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111207PD204.html

"Although Microsoft has not yet fully released its plans for image formats in Windows 8, the company's recent acquisition of Skype is expected to become an important part of the new ecosystem as the company might expand the connection from smartphone to living room televisions through the new operating system
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111207PD220.html

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670

Windows 7 is the new XP.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.

Is there a way to shift my C drive programs to my E drive and then automatically transfer them back to C when I have windows 8 installed?

The releases during the dev fair and windows 8 fair we were encouraged to install right over windows 7 X64 and everything would work the same minus a few programs that they weren't going to allow or that didn't have a digital signature.

We even had access to MS engineers for the install and during install and testing for 3 days. Almost all windows drivers work, except a few for me like CCC drivers didn't want to play nice with my custom BIOS and afterburner. I didn't spend alot of time with it, just enough to learn it and give feedback, then a bit of testing some apps they were working with.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
The releases during the dev fair and windows 8 fair we were encouraged to install right over windows 7 X64 and everything would work the same minus a few programs that they weren't going to allow or that didn't have a digital signature.

We even had access to MS engineers for the install and during install and testing for 3 days. Almost all windows drivers work, except a few for me like CCC drivers didn't want to play nice with my custom BIOS and afterburner. I didn't spend alot of time with it, just enough to learn it and give feedback, then a bit of testing some apps they were working with.

Really right over the top?

Hell I'm more than tempted now! One more thing, is the windows 8 dev preview anything like the windows seven leaks and I need to download new versions or will it update it's self?

As I downloaded the preview as soon as it came out I just never got round to doing it :laugh:

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Mine updated, you can't rollback though, and depending on what you have for a key or release it will only work for 6 months or a specific date where it will just shutoff.

Much like the Windows 7 betas there will probably be some hacks so you can get your stuff off, but there isn't the possibility to upgrade from the BETA to RTM or retail versions planned. So a clean install will have to be done later.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Every program puts an entry or several into windows registry when it gets installed, aka basically a Program ID. If Windows OS could autosync and auto populate other drives without having to install programs again that would be awesome.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Every program puts an entry or several into windows registry when it gets installed, aka basically a Program ID. If Windows OS could autosync and auto populate other drives without having to install programs again that would be awesome.

Many do.

I finally moved away from Vista X64 as my primary OS when I upgraded to my SSD drives and I moved all my steam games and many other programs to the 6TB drive and simply double clicked the exe and if they were missing stuff they either downloaded it from the net or used the existing files to correct their installation, and even a quick copy of my personal folders resulted in all my savegames being present (almost). Steam and Origin should backup your savegames dammit.