• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows games natively on Steam Linux through Proton (Wine)

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
StrayKAT....

I thought my article linked to in the next sentence of my post made my own opinion quite clear. To sum up my longer term beliefs...decentralized platforms are my hope for the future of gaming. What anyone else does or believes...is their business.

Regards,

Liquid Cool

That was 2013.. I'll just say they failed.. on multiple fronts (I have a Steam controller collecting dust too.. the thing is horrible). The actual open source operating system that did everything Gabe claimed his was going to do was... BSD. On the PS4.

And I'll just say BSD in general is the smarter move. It provides more freedom and more commercial incentive for a big names to get involved (a company developing with it is under no obligation to release their own contributing code as open source). edit: My point though is that I wish someone did this for PCs.

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
StrayKAT,

Thanks for your opinion. In a world where everyone wants everything today...it may be the correct one. After 30 years in the finance industry(Technical Analyst), I've learned to be patient. From my own view...I was thinking a decade...with a very interesting trip along the way.

BSD? Fuchshia is primarily a BSD licensed OS I believe. I've never used BSD, not all that familiar with it. In fact, I just moved to linux with Ubuntu 12.04...I'm hardly even a power user at this point. :)

Best,

Liquid Cool

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
StrayKAT,

Thanks for your opinion. In a world where everyone wants everything today...it may be the correct one. After 30 years in the finance industry(Technical Analyst), I've learned to be patient. From my own view...I was thinking a decade...with a very interesting trip along the way.

BSD? Fuchshia is primarily a BSD licensed OS I believe. I've never used BSD, not all that familiar with it.

Best,

Liquid Cool

I'm not sure about that.. although it may use the userland tools of BSD? The kernel itself is Google's own though.. and a microkernel.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
StrayKAT,

LK or little kernel...that's an MIT license I believe. At any rate...Open Source. All of it is as far as I know. Haven't looked in a long time, but I'd imagine there are 3rd parties involved to some extent as well.

I was thinking about back when I was getting familiar with linux through ubuntu 12.04. About the only games I could get to run we're Tux Kart and an FPS shooter that was so bad I wouldn't play it. Today...even before SteamPlay, 45% of my Steam library and over 1/2 of my GOG catalog of games are compatible. It's a bit of a stretch to say...failure? Although, that doesn't mean I don't understand completely where you're coming from....:).

I'm in between pc's right now, so I can't test everything the way I'd like to, but I'd imagine this latest iteration(Proton) that we've been discussing in this thread has upped those percentages extensively on the Steam side. GOG...I use wine wrappers and no client...it's working well for me.

In case it isn't well known...and I haven't made myself clear in the past...I love GOG.

Best,

Liquid Cool

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
I thought I'd post a quick update to the thread. The Proton Steam Play community is moving at a breakneck pace.

There is a new Steam Client update, so you don't actually have to "opt-in" to use the Steam Play feature. As far as I can tell...It's still in beta, but you don't need to use the beta client access it.

The google doc I linked to earlier in this thread was quite useless to some degree. While there is a mountain of information, it needs to be collated into something useful. There are several people in the Steam Play community who are attempting to do just that.

Steam Play Compatibility Reports (BETA)

On Steam's github page, they have added a "Wiki" tab...where you can look at the Compatibility Report from a different perspective and it's broken down into sections. Very convenient...:).

Community Compatibility Reports

For those that can't be bothered with checking out links or sifting through data and prefer to just look at a couple of pictures and then move on. Let me oblige you...

Current 27 whitelist.jpg
27 titles on Steam Play's Current "whitelist"

Top 27 completely stable.jpg
Top 27 "non-whitelisted" titles in the Completely Stable category

From Forbes...

Steam For Linux Adds 1000 Perfectly Playable Windows Games In Under A Week

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
I thought I'd post a quick update to the thread. The Proton Steam Play community is moving at a breakneck pace.

There is a new Steam Client update, so you don't actually have to "opt-in" to use the Steam Play feature. As far as I can tell...It's still in beta, but you don't need to use the beta client access it.

The google doc I linked to earlier in this thread was quite useless to some degree. While there is a mountain of information, it needs to be collated into something useful. There are several people in the Steam Play community who are attempting to do just that.

Steam Play Compatibility Reports (BETA)

On Steam's github page, they have added a "Wiki" tab...where you can look at the Compatibility Report from a different perspective and it's broken down into sections. Very convenient...:).

Community Compatibility Reports

For those that can't be bothered with checking out links or sifting through data and prefer to just look at a couple of pictures and then move on. Let me oblige you...

View attachment 106145
Steam Play's Current whitelist - 27 games

View attachment 106146
Top 27 "non-whitelisted" titles in the Completely Stable category

From Forbes...

Steam For Linux Adds 1000 Perfectly Playable Windows Games In Under A Week

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool

What is Mesa? Is that AMD? I thought they had official drivers...

It sounds familiar, but I haven't used Linux in a long while.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
What is Mesa? Is that AMD? I thought they had official drivers...

It sounds familiar, but I haven't used Linux in a long while.

Mesa is like an abstraction layer to the kernelland driver, sort of like a generic DirectX.

Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
StrayKAT...

R-T-B is correct here, but I think it would behoove you to take a closer look at MESA. I normally wouldn't point you to a wiki, but MESA is something I think you should take the time to get to know well. Frankly, I find the whole topic rather interesting...:).

MESA

When I was looking to use an AMD graphics card in linux(something I now recommend), I was actually quite lost as to what was going with the AMD drivers vs. nVidia. Liam cleared that up with this article back in 2017.

An explanation of what Mesa is and what graphics cards use it

Again, I appreciate "Gaming on Linux" as about the only site worth viewing in regards to...you guessed it...Gaming on Linux.

:),

Liquid Cool

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
StrayKAT...

R-T-B is correct here, but I think it would behoove you to take a closer look at MESA. I normally wouldn't point you to a wiki, but MESA is something I think you should take the time to get to know well. Frankly, I find the whole topic rather interesting...:).

MESA

When I was looking to use an AMD graphics card in linux(something I now recommend), I was actually quite lost as to what was going with the AMD drivers vs. nVidia. Liam cleared that up with this article back in 2017.

An explanation of what Mesa is and what graphics cards use it

Again, I appreciate "Gaming on Linux" as about the only site worth viewing in regards to...you guessed it...Gaming on Linux.

:),

Liquid Cool

When the post said it originally started out as an OpenGL implementation, I suddenly remembered it. I guess things have evolved a lot since.