1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

windows hard disk error during installation

Discussion in 'General Software' started by dccool879, Aug 20, 2006.

1. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my friend is having another problem. This time it says
    "windows could not start because of a compter disc hardware configuration problem
    could not read from the selected boot disc check boot path and disc hardware
    Please check the windows documentation about hardware disc configuration and your hardware referance manual for additional information"

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    great^^

are the hdds of your friend shown probably in the bios?

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    During installation?

That has happened to me, when I had:

1.) IDE internal IoMega zipdrives attached while installing

or

2.) USB external disks

or

3.) No drivers for particular disk controllers (caching IDE, &/or UltraScSi in the past)

:)

* Hope that helps some in YOUR case...

APK

P.S.=> If you have external/addon disks (USB or ones like IoMega zipdrives)? PULL THEM while installing... or, if in the case of a specialized controller for HDD's? Get the drivers for them (if this latter is the case). If this does not help, check that disk you're trying to install to on another machine... disks DO die, eventually! apk

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. dccool879

dccool879 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm apk you might be gettin somehwhere. the hd is not dead, as he put on windows, got this message, and put it on again, and got this message. if he can do the installation, it has to be working right? anyways, it's an external raid card! this must be it. during installation, we hit f6 and loaded drivers off a floppy. then it went at it. when it comes time to reboot, i'm guessing it doesnt have the drivers anymore, thus the error?

i have never used one of these before. are the drivers to load up in the bios? i mean how is it booting to windows if i havnt touched the bios? should i have? or do i need to get these drivers in windows somehow (again like the installation.) in the driver readme i see nothing about having to do something with drivers again after loading them in installation.

btw it is a rosewill rc-201. it is not running in a raid, with just 1 200 gb maxtor drive.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Maybe... we'll see, shall we not?

Sounds like a BUGGY .inf file for the driver... hit their website, get UPDATED/most current builds.

Well, now that you state that? 3rd party HDD controllers (&/or RAID ones OR UltraScSi ones) are TRICKY first time you use them... you have to get used to it.

(I am from the "oldschool" before there was integrated disk controllers on mobos,using the old ISA/VLB "super i-o/paddleboard" types of HDD IDE controllers onwards so, it never "threw me", but then again, those weren't 1/10th as complex as these new EIDE/SATA ones are, OR UltraScSi ones either).

Humor me: Have your buddy disable ANY OTHER DISK CONTROLLERS IN HIS BIOS, integrated to mobo firmware driven ones (often this may take some digging in today's "ultra-complex" yet ultra cool & functions BIOS' out there now) yes, including their RAID functions...

AND, make sure your BIOS is set to use the 3rd party controller in the BOOT order settings in said BIOS... it matters, must be done.

Then, hook up this disk to it again, & see what goes...

Fair enough?

Do what I stated last paragraph, it MAY be that that, is all it is... & DO get the updated drivers too if there are any.

Good Luck, I think you will be OK (or rather, your pal)...

APK

P.S.=> Back to tunes from OASIS - what an EXCELLENT band! apk

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU