• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows rebooting on logo after new motherboard/cpu

cs97jb

Hi,

I had a problem with my desktop where it would turn on but nothing would appear on the screen. The HDD would not spin. After replacing the graphics card and other parts, I realised that it was the CPU so I bought a new motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P and a new CPU: AMD Phenon II combo. Now, the machine starts up but as soon the Windows logo (Win7) starts to form, the machine freezes on it for a split second and then reboots. I have reset the CMOS using the motherboard jumpers. I have gone into Windows' diagnostic and restored windows to a previous restore point as well as even restoring Windows back to the factory settings (per the HP tools) but I continue to run into the same problem of the machine restarting at the Windows logo. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on here?

Processor Intel i7 7700k @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Asus Strix Z270E Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Nepton 120XL
Memory Corsair Vengeance LED Red 2x8GB 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX980TI
Storage Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z / Dell SE198WFP
Case NOX Hummer TG RGB
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma
Software Windows 10 - 64bit
Not sure but the crash might be because of the drivers you have installed, even restoring to factory settings won't help because its installing drivers to the other motherboard.
You'll probably need to do a fresh install of windows.

cs97jb

Thanks. I was hoping not to do that, although it's not too big of a deal as I have copied off all the necessary files. I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

Phusius

Processor i5-2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard Asus Z68 Deluxe
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 @ 1200/1475 @ 1175v
Display(s) Dell 23" 2ms
Case Carbide 500r
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
Yeah, just do the fresh install, since it isn't much of an issue for you anyway :)

I re-installed Windows 8 not long ago, it so amazing how fast it is to reformat these days, I was done in under 30 minutes, that included my pictures and photos I had backed up.

Might be because you have it in the wrong SATA model also. If your old install was done in IDE and the new board is set to AHCI...

System Name WorkStation
Processor Intel i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Cooling Corsair H110 Water Cooler AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr III OC
Storage WD 1TB Sata III
Display(s) Samsung 22-inch LED 1080p
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 898 HD
Power Supply Corsair CS750M Gold
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Re-install OS.

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
Might be because you have it in the wrong SATA model also. If your old install was done in IDE and the new board is set to AHCI...
This

Op check in the bios if its set to AHCI and change it to IDE then save and reboot

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
If you want to try and save some work, when the PC is attempting to boot, prior to the windows screen, repeatedly hit the F8 key until you get a screen for safe mode. You could then get into windows and remove the old drivers, run a registry cleaner (such as the reg cleaner in Ccleaner) and try to reboot to normal windows. Then all you would need to do if the PC boots is to install the new drivers. ;)

System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
If you want to try and save some work, when the PC is attempting to boot, prior to the windows screen, repeatedly hit the F8 key until you get a screen for safe mode. You could then get into windows and remove the old drivers, run a registry cleaner (such as the reg cleaner in Ccleaner) and try to reboot to normal windows. Then all you would need to do if the PC boots is to install the new drivers. ;)

I was getting ready to suggest the same thing. Boot into safe mode and uninstall all the for everything. I would even go as far as going into device manger and cleaning everything out that is motherboard and cpu related. The reboot and let windows find what it can and install the drivers.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
This

Op check in the bios if its set to AHCI and change it to IDE then save and reboot

I triple that! When I tried booting an IDE drive with BIOS set to AHCI, it did almost the exact same thing.

Seems old motherboard defaulted SATA mode to IDE, with new boards the default is AHCI.

cs97jb

Thanks folks.

The BIOS is set to SATA. The drive is a SATA drive and was plugged in as such into the old motherboard. Should I set it up as AHCI?

I have tried every option available within the BOOT menu but all lead to the machine rebooting itself. The only options I've had are within the Recovery option but that hasn't helped either (Restore Points and full recovery).

I'm in the process of finding my Windows CD so that I can reinstall Windows. If folks feel I should try setting the hard drive to AHCI within the BIOS, I will give that a go...

System Name YACS amd.
Processor 5800x, 5700g, i9-9900k
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite. or msi x570 gaming plus
Cooling bykski GPU, CPU. syscooling p93x, or sc-67f in series, or aquacomputer cpu
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 16,16,16, 36, or gskill
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx, or 6750xt watercooled. (alphacool)
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
This

plus 10!... GOODcall!:toast::respect:

happened to me, i forget that bios was set to IDE, installed win8, (long story....) bois gets set to AHCI, then i install previous hdd (win8 or win7) i will get the strange reboot... looks like it is a problem of windows... but it really is the ahci/ide setting.

it isn't really a problem if your win7/8 install was to a AHCI bios drive.. (just set it to AHCI)... but if win7/8 was installed to a IDE bios drive... better off reinstalling win7/8 to a AHCI bios drive. or you can just use IDE (only seems to matter with SSD's)

this happens all the time to me... (when windows is installed on a ahci(bios set) drive... and the bios is set to IDE...)

while there are directions to change the registry in win7/win8, (and they seem to work)... but if you have other hdd, formatted at the time of the original drive, problems occur.

TL;DR... just sett bios. to AHCI... but if th drive was installed as IDE(bios), and you want to switch to AHCI with the that drive, you can, but it only works for that drive.

switch the BIOS setting to AHCI... and it should fix the problem.