• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Vista upgrades confirmed for March

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Many users have bought Windows XP based notebooks during the Christmas season and have applied for the Windows Vista upgrade. While the retail version has now been available for almost a month, those who took advantage of the upgrade offer will have to sit tight some more. Most upgrades should be shipped out in March. While some orders have been shipped already, most will receive the new Windows OS in that month. I for one do not mind sitting tight for a few more weeks.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
I for one do not mind sitting tight for a few more weeks.

Nor do I.

I'll nab it eventually, because I tried it on a notebook, & an HP touchscreen PC (was neat), & surprisingly, I like it a lot.

Funniest part is, I never once ran into a UAC "warning", which was cool... Everyone seems to be 'yelling' about it, but I did not hit it once.

:)

(& I messed about w/ it pretty well going thru most of the control panel & console commands as well (& I like the transparency effects ontop of the fact it does have some good stuff "under-the-skin" that you don't see, like Address Space Randomization)).

I did the 3dText screensaver, just for SOMEKIND of test of 3d under it, & it appeared to run pretty quickly (quickly enough, considering these machines didn't have 'super high-end' graphics boards) as there were no games loaded on either machine I tried of 2 to try.

APK

P.S.=> For folks that wait, they MIGHT get a hotfix or two possibly as well being applied over those copies folks have received already, but who knows on that account... apk

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Never ran into a UAC warning? Are you sure it was turned on?

I've disabled UAC because it was poping up all over the place - all you could do was log in and load some applications before a warning, and even that sometimes seemed to want one! If you use an app that in any way interacts with Windows settings it pops up, if you install something it will popup a few times, if you load the control panel it pops up, if you click anything in the control panel it pops up... if you try to apply anything in the control panel it pops up!!! It drove me crazy, I do so much changing on my PC that I just got rid of it in the end.

Hell, you even have to let task manager show all running programs using UAC!

Scavar

System Name ScarredWolf(Desktop), MBlackWolf(Laptop)
Processor E6600(Desktop), T7300(Laptop)
Motherboard EVGA 680i(Desktop), IFL90(Laptop)
Cooling Akasa EVO 120(Desktop), No idea(Laptop)
Memory G Skill PI 8GB 4x2gb(Desktop), G Skill 3GB 1GB/2GB(Laptop)
Video Card(s) 8800GTS 640mb(Desktop), 8600m GT(Laptop)
Storage 3x250GB 1x500GB(Desktop), 1x320GB(Laptop)
Display(s) Acer AL2216W 22"(Desktop), 15.4"(Laptop)
Case Cosmos 1000(Desktop), PowerPro J 10:15(Laptop)
Audio Device(s) CreativeX-Fi/Z-5500(Desktop), Realtek/No idea(Laptop)
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w(Desptop), *shrug*(Laptop)
Software Windows Vista Ultimatex64 with tweaks(Both)
Benchmark Scores I'm too lazy to benchmark anything.
Personally I would say thats a good thing. By march I am sure some updates will be released. Driver support is already getting better. Waiting a little bit for a slightly better product that you are getting at a technically cheaper price, is a good deal in my book.

It's a plus I think.

System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3A
Cooling Noctua
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G-Skill
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Display(s) Sony Bravia 37" 1080p
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
well i just received and installed windows vista home premium today and i can say it seems quite stable so far, x1950pro graphics installed no problems, seems fast enough in general use and the flip 3d mode of aero is pretty cool (quite pointless tho as it takes less time to click on the task bar, but cool none the less)

have only tried super pi mod 1.5 in regards to any benches and i did score 1sec less (28.5 secs) than i did in xp, that doesnt really bother me tbh, im in the middle of d'l 3dmark05 and plan to give that a go as soon as its done (1 thing that would of been nice is a download manager ext for ie, as its the same old download dialogue box, just add a pause/resume button MS cant be that hard) and then the ultimate test :p some games, probably cod2 and f.e.a.r to start.

i havent actually had that much of a play around as of yet and plan to see if i can tweak it a bit to get my mem usage down some (currently sits at 60% when pc isnt in use) and speed it up, but to me it seems faster and more responsive than xp as of yet :D

Alec§taar

Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Never ran into a UAC warning? Are you sure it was turned on?

Yea, lol, I'm sure... I didn't get to spend LOADS of time on either unit @ BEST BUY, but enough to get a GOOD feel of VISTA.

Hell, you even have to let task manager show all running programs using UAC!

Now, THAT? I did do... no UAC warning!

* Perhaps the lads @ BEST BUY turned it off (UAC) on the machines I tested VISTA on? Only thing I can think of, because taskmgr.exe was one of the FIRST tools I took a peek @, to see if it had been improved in any way (because it is SUCH a valuable tool, imo @ least).

APK

System Name Ma Biatch
Processor i7 860
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3A
Cooling Noctua
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G-Skill
Video Card(s) GTX 470
Storage WD5000aaks raid0
Display(s) Sony Bravia 37" 1080p
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX520
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
apk do you have any tips from what youve learned playing with vista, such as what services are safe to disable, boot faster and use less ram ?

Alec§taar

apk do you have any tips from what youve learned playing with vista, such as what services are safe to disable, boot faster and use less ram ?

Jimmy2004 started such a thread, for VISTA specific stuff... & as far as saving RAM & such?

Whatever you saved in RAM before, will probably tend to get thrown into VISTA's "SuperFetch" etc. because the 'trend' in today's OS design tends to operate a lot like UNIX folks feel it should (all extra RAM to the caching subsystems, working in conjunction w/ memmgt subsystems (very closesly here)).

Do I agree w/ this? Yes, & No... for some apps? Caching can HARM their performance... & diskcaches, as good as they are & the sciences surrounding them for optimizing OR tuning them?? Will NEVER be 110% perfect or solid, for all apps & use-case scenarios.

STILL, they're good to have around (especially imo, for delayed writes, IF power is secured via a UPS especially) for better performance generally.

BUT, you do save CPU cycles, say, if you disable services you don't use, &/or excessive trayicon backgrounded applications, etc. et al.

* If you take a peek @ the STICKY THREADS regarding VISTA in the "General Software Section", you'll see that folks there ARE noting just this very thing...

APK

P.S.=> Plus, many of the ideas/concepts, AND actual tweaks from 2000/XP/Server 2003 (especially the last one, it IS the foundation of VISTA @ its init. design core largely in many subsystems & code itself) will still work, so the "System Optimization" sticky thread concepts will work also... along w/ many other sticky threads there's concepts/ideas/tricks-tips-techniques... after all: It's STILL largely "Windows NT-based"... even w/ the new stuff in it! apk

Scavar

System Name ScarredWolf(Desktop), MBlackWolf(Laptop)
Processor E6600(Desktop), T7300(Laptop)
Motherboard EVGA 680i(Desktop), IFL90(Laptop)
Cooling Akasa EVO 120(Desktop), No idea(Laptop)
Memory G Skill PI 8GB 4x2gb(Desktop), G Skill 3GB 1GB/2GB(Laptop)
Video Card(s) 8800GTS 640mb(Desktop), 8600m GT(Laptop)
Storage 3x250GB 1x500GB(Desktop), 1x320GB(Laptop)
Display(s) Acer AL2216W 22"(Desktop), 15.4"(Laptop)
Case Cosmos 1000(Desktop), PowerPro J 10:15(Laptop)
Audio Device(s) CreativeX-Fi/Z-5500(Desktop), Realtek/No idea(Laptop)
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w(Desptop), *shrug*(Laptop)
Software Windows Vista Ultimatex64 with tweaks(Both)
Benchmark Scores I'm too lazy to benchmark anything.

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
To be fair to Vista, there is less to be gained from the tweaks that have been uncovered so far than was to be gained in XP, but there's still no point having something that you don't use enabled and using up even a couple of MB of RAM, it all adds up. Superfetching seems to work very nicely from when I've used Vista so far - at the moment I'm still mainly using XP though because I can't find a decent free firewall, and the built in one isn't too great... better than XP, but it still isn't nice to use.

Alec§taar

To be fair to Vista, there is less to be gained from the tweaks that have been uncovered so far than was to be gained in XP, but there's still no point having something that you don't use enabled and using up even a couple of MB of RAM, it all adds up.

Yes, & especially moreso, in terms of CPU cycles you save, turning off stuff you just plain do NOT use, or benefit from.

The WHOLE IDEA behind 'tweaking/tuning' is VERY old, & imo, comes from genre like hotrodding cars: taking something you have, & making it ALL THAT MUCH BETTER, w/ out spending if you can avoid it.

Superfetching seems to work very nicely from when I've used Vista so far

Good news that... I am sure they've done their homework @ MS on THAT front especially, since it is a new feature & all that!

- at the moment I'm still mainly using XP though because I can't find a decent free firewall, and the built in one isn't too great... better than XP, but it still isn't nice to use.

Here's one for your tweaks section in the VISTA thread Jim:

Ever consider port filtering in the mean time?

I mention it in a few threads here, & there is GOOD REASON I DO (for cases like this one especially, you w/ no firewall in place, or what you feel is a DECENT one).

I.E. -> It works!

(& is a 'basic firewall' of sorts AND, it works WITH software & hardware firewalls too, & works WELL (layered security in effect)).

It's in the Tcp/IP properties ADVANCED section in 2000/XP/Server 2003!

It allows you to access things just fine outside of your system, via ports you let in/out of it, as you see fit... & is often called "the poor man's firewall"!

Simply because it DOES work as one (albeit primitive, & little control as compared to firewalls that allow on an application level, in/out access, for example).

APK

P.S.=> Take a peek @ your Network Connection in VISTA & see its Tcp/IP networking properties there...

Largely depending if you are on a LAN @ home or work?

WELL, you can turn off things like File & Print sharing (if you're not allowing others to use it, odds are your're not most likely especially if you have a standalone system not on a LAN/WAN) & also dispense w/ using the "Client for Microsoft Networks" as well, if the machine you use is a 'stand-alone' online... & not on a HOME lan for instance.

BOTTOM-LINE/HOW TO DO IT, when & IF you do try it?

Allow in what you feel ports wise on Tcp part (I let in 80/8080 & that's it, sometimes 443) & on the UDP part I usually do ALLOW ALL, but @ times not... & on the IP section, use 16 & 7 (one is the UDP & the other is the TCP portion of Tcp/IP)... apk

Last edited:

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
wow, and how long after this was promised did they deliver?