• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows Won't Load After Graphics Card Install

AH1

Hello all,

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a machine with an AMD Phenom II X6 3.2ghz process, 2tb hard drive, 16gb DDR3 RAM, and a 1000w Kingwin modular PSU.

After my old card died, I was forced to install a new card without having the opportunity to uninstall the old drivers. The old card was a Radeon HD 5670, and the new one is a HD 7850 4GB manufactured by HIS. Windows did it's thing, automatically installing the new drivers, and not even a minute after, the screen wigged out and froze up.

I did a hard reboot of the machine, and then Windows wouldn't load at all. It freezes on the "Starting Windows" screen, forcing me to yet again do a hard reboot.

I CAN start safe mode just fine. I already ran CCleaner AND Driver Fusion (the successor to Driver Sweeper) to clean everything with an ATI signature off my machine. I try to uninstall Catalyst, but it will not allow me to uninstall it in safe mode because the drivers in question are not loaded.

When I do this, Windows WILL boot with basic VGA drivers. But when I install the new drivers and reboot, I once again get locked on the "Starting Windows" screen, forcing me to start the process over. I have tried installing the drivers from the CD, tried installing three different version of the drivers from the ATI website, and tried installing the drivers manually through the device manager, all with the same result.

Beyond that, I'm not having any real issues. Everything else during the hardware installation went fine so far as I can tell. My power source is sufficient, my connectors are all correct and secure, and everything is compatible. So I've more or less ruled out hardware troubles at this point. I'm almost certain it is the drivers, but I don't know what to do.

With nothing but the barebones VGA controller installed, I can do most things, like watch videos, browse the Internet, all without graphical errors. However, I do not have access to more advanced features like multimonitor control, resolution management, etc.

Please help. I've tried everything I can think of. My gut tells me this is probably something simple I'm overlooking, but I really could use some other perspectives.:banghead:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Thats not a very legit unit you have for the PSU. Normally last ditch effort would to reseat the video card, system ram, clean the Fans out, if overclocked- stop doing that. And Format completely instead of trying to repair the OS install.

I use this for driver conflicts.

show non present devices, create this String Value in the registry Word for word

DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES

put it in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
Environment]

after that set the value to 1 and then restart the machine, after that go to the device manager and then click on view menu and click show hidden devices. there will be way more shown than normally possible.

Hello all,

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a machine with an AMD Phenom II X6 3.2ghz process, 2tb hard drive, 16gb DDR3 RAM, and a 1000w Kingwin modular PSU.

After my old card died, I was forced to install a new card without having the opportunity to uninstall the old drivers. The old card was a Radeon HD 5670, and the new one is a HD 7850 4GB manufactured by HIS. Windows did it's thing, automatically installing the new drivers, and not even a minute after, the screen wigged out and froze up.

I did a hard reboot of the machine, and then Windows wouldn't load at all. It freezes on the "Starting Windows" screen, forcing me to yet again do a hard reboot.

I CAN start safe mode just fine. I already ran CCleaner AND Driver Fusion (the successor to Driver Sweeper) to clean everything with an ATI signature off my machine. I try to uninstall Catalyst, but it will not allow me to uninstall it in safe mode because the drivers in question are not loaded.

When I do this, Windows WILL boot with basic VGA drivers. But when I install the new drivers and reboot, I once again get locked on the "Starting Windows" screen, forcing me to start the process over. I have tried installing the drivers from the CD, tried installing three different version of the drivers from the ATI website, and tried installing the drivers manually through the device manager, all with the same result.

Beyond that, I'm not having any real issues. Everything else during the hardware installation went fine so far as I can tell. My power source is sufficient, my connectors are all correct and secure, and everything is compatible. So I've more or less ruled out hardware troubles at this point. I'm almost certain it is the drivers, but I don't know what to do.

With nothing but the barebones VGA controller installed, I can do most things, like watch videos, browse the Internet, all without graphical errors. However, I do not have access to more advanced features like multimonitor control, resolution management, etc.

Please help. I've tried everything I can think of. My gut tells me this is probably something simple I'm overlooking, but I really could use some other perspectives.:banghead:

AH1

Thanks for your reply!

I've been using this particular PSU for about two years now with no problems. It has good reviews on Newegg too, and the modular cables are nice.

Nevertheless, despite that, I do not think it is the PSU that is giving me problems right now.

I clean my case regularly, including earlier today when I installed the card. I haven't tried reseating it yet, most because I'm trying to make that my last ditch effort before I write this card off as being defective and RMA a new one.

I will give your suggestion and shot and get back to you. Right now, I am in the process of testing the card on a new Windows install on a different hard drive. Thanks again for the reply.

AH1

I tested the card on the new install of Windows on a different blank HD. This time, instead of freezing, I received a BSOD saying something along the lines of "Attempt to reset display driver and recover from a timeout failed."

I went to bed after that and never had the chance to reseat the card. I suppose that is the next step. If that doesn't work, I'm going to assume the card itself is defective and RMA it.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I tested the card on the new install of Windows on a different blank HD. This time, instead of freezing, I received a BSOD saying something along the lines of "Attempt to reset display driver and recover from a timeout failed."

I went to bed after that and never had the chance to reseat the card. I suppose that is the next step. If that doesn't work, I'm going to assume the card itself is defective and RMA it.

I would as a last effort would perform a ram check on your machine using memtest86+

AH1

Thanks for the reply.

Memtest checks out fine. The RAM is all Corsair DDR3, and relatively new.

I am almost certain it is just a defect in the card. I am actually posting from my PC right now. I took the card in question out, and replaced it with an older card and everything is running right as rain again.

I'm RMAing the card. Hopefully the next one they send won't be borked, but these things happen sometime.

Thank you for your help. I wish I had better news.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Just final measures is all they are however when installing a new card ensure drivers for the old are removed before taking the old card out.

Thanks for the reply.

Memtest checks out fine. The RAM is all Corsair DDR3, and relatively new.

I am almost certain it is just a defect in the card. I am actually posting from my PC right now. I took the card in question out, and replaced it with an older card and everything is running right as rain again.

I'm RMAing the card. Hopefully the next one they send won't be borked, but these things happen sometime.

Thank you for your help. I wish I had better news.