• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

windows xp installation

uchon

Hi.
I am trying to install GPU-Z on Windows XP. (yeah, I know it's not supported by Microsoft anymore, but I have some computers with Windows XP that I can't get rid of yet)
Version 2.30.0 is the last version that can be installed without any previously earlier version installed.
Since version 2.31.0 (the current version today is 2.34.0) I can't install it on computers with XP. (maybe it has something to do with the changes in installation needed for the new -install and -installSilent switches)
The newer version do not even run on the computers unless there was a previously earlier version installed already.
Is there a solution for my problem that I do not know of?
Sorry for my language mistakes and for some repetitions.
Thank you
Udi

uchon

Hi pavl3.
thank you for your response.
because if i just unpack a zip it isn't installed and when i search the registry for installed programs it won't show there
and even if I download the zip file (which by the way I couldn't find) will it run?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
because if i just unpack a zip it isn't installed and when i search the registry for installed programs it won't show there
and even if I download the zip file (which by the way I couldn't find) will it run?

It's not supposed to be in the registry or even "Installed" if it's the portable version (Zipped), it's a stand alone program.
There is no need to install, stand alone programs work as is once unzipped.

You simply unzip it to a specific location of your choice, then go into the folder that's created when you unzip it and look for the .exe file, click on it and it should run.
In some cases you may have to start it as an administrator but aside from that it should work period.

I should have written download the portable version... anyhow - uchon - please do report if you also experience a delayed startup with newest version of GPU-Z in XP because it certainly takes its sweet time to load here.

uchon

Pavl3 and bones
thank you for your replies, but I NEED to install the program.
I need it, so when I check the computers' registry, which programs are installed, I would also get GPU-Z.
If I use the portable version, then the program will run (probably. I haven't checked if the portable 2.34.0 runs on XP as a standalone) but like I said before, it will not be in the registry.

System Name Specs Last Update: 8/April/2024
Processor Intel Core i5 9400f 2.9GHz/4.0 Turbo (NoOC)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370M D3H rev. 1.0
Cooling be quite! Dark Rock Slim 180W TDP (The Silent Wings 3 120mm Fan)
Memory Corsair Red Line 8x2 16GB 3000MHz (NoOC) DDR4-3000 15-17-17-35 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R) V1.35 ver 4.24
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce MSI 980 Ti Golden Edition (NoOC)| Spare: GTX 650 Ti 1 GB
Storage Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB | Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | Cold Backup: WDC Black 930 GiB WD1003FZEX
Display(s) Asus VG248QZ 1920x1080 144hz 24" (Current: 60hz)
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair 850W RMi
Mouse Logitech M187 wireless (First day of use 30-9-2021)
Keyboard Logitech K270 wireless
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC 2021 / Linux: Candidates: Bazzite - Linux MX - Tuxedo - Kubuntu
How did you assume that the app "needs to be installed" first? Does the app tells you that and refuses to run?

Reactions: Rei

uchon

someone99h thank you for your reply.
the app doesn't tell me it needs to be installed.
I need it to be installed.
when I run 2.30.0 manually it offers to install itself.
when I run 2.31.0 (and newer versions) "nothing happens". I mean, I can't see any GUI and the process terminates without installing or running. (Therefore I can't even run the program)
and again I do not mean the portable version (which cannot be installed)
only if I install 2.30.0 and then run 2.34.0 I can install it.

System Name Main PC/OldPC/3rd PC
Processor Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge/Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge/Core i3-4330 Haswell
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V/ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen1/ASUS H81M2
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/Intel Box cooler/Intel Box cooler
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance/32GB ADATA/16GB ADATA
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE R9 290 Tri-X OC 4GB/MSI RX 480 8GB/SAPPHIRE R9 390 8GB
Storage 2x1TB ADATA SSDs in RAID0+3 HDDs/2xCrucial 1TB SSDs in RAID0+3 HDDs/Samsung 1TB SSD+8TB+4TB HDDs
Display(s) Philips 274E5QHAB@HDMI + Philips 273EQH@DVI (both 27")
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium
Audio Device(s) Kenwood Mini HiFi system/Microlab speakers/Philips HDMI (main)+LG TV monitor HDMI + Apple headphones
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent ProM 600 W (modular)
Mouse Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Desktop 2.0 (combo)@Razer Goliath mousepad (Medium speed)
Keyboard Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Desktop 2.0 (combo)
Software Win10 64-bit (Main PC v.1809 RTM Enterprise/2nd PC v.1903 Insider Preview Pro/3rd PC - same as 2nd)
OKay, what make & model of Intel or AMD CPU do you use?
(This is hoping you are not on VIA or Centaur CPU somehow ;) ).

The utility is self contained, it's not going to start from a shortcut unless you create one.

1. Go to https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

You will see this:

Standard Version
GPU-Z.2.34.0.exe

As you can see it is not a zip file... the entire program is a single self contained exe file. I t does not need to be nor should you want it to be "installed" in the traditional sense

2. Hit the download button, pick a server to download it from and save the file to the location of your choice

3. Download the utility to the location of your choice .... I chose: R:\Downloads \Utilities\1Techpowerup ... the folder name is completely meaningless. Could just as easily have named the folder C:\HemroidCream

GPUz.jpg

4. Navigate to the R:\Downloads \Utilities\1Techpowerup or whatever folder you decided to create to store the file

5. The new folder should have only one file (GPU-Z.2.34.0.exe) .... double click on it and the utility will launch

The procedure is no different in Windows2000, WindowsXP, Windows 7, 8 or 10

If you feel the need to have a desktop "shortcut", the do so as you would for any other program. Instructions at link below

uchon

The utility is self contained, it's not going to start from a shortcut unless you create one.

1. Go to https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

You will see this:

Standard Version
GPU-Z.2.34.0.exe

As you can see it is not a zip file... the entire program is a single self contained exe file. I t does not need to be nor should you want it to be "installed" in the traditional sense

2. Hit the download button, pick a server to download it from and save the file to the location of your choice

3. Download the utility to the location of your choice .... I chose: R:\Downloads \Utilities\1Techpowerup ... the folder name is completely meaningless. Could just as easily have named the folder C:\HemroidCream

View attachment 170094

4. Navigate to the R:\Downloads \Utilities\1Techpowerup or whatever folder you decided to create to store the file

5. The new folder should have only one file (GPU-Z.2.34.0.exe) .... double click on it and the utility will launch

The procedure is no different in Windows2000, WindowsXP, Windows 7, 8 or 10

If you feel the need to have a desktop "shortcut", the do so as you would for any other program. Instructions at link below

I am trying to explain that it does not run.
And I do need to install it in the "traditional" way.

OKay, what make & model of Intel or AMD CPU do you use?
(This is hoping you are not on VIA or Centaur CPU somehow ;) ).
I have several computers running XP.
All have Intel processors of different types.
Some running home edition and some running Professional edition.

System Name Mini efficient rig.
Processor R9 3900, @4ghz -0.05v offset. 110W peak.
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H, bios f41 pcie 4.0 unlocked.
Cooling some server blower @1500rpm
Memory 2x16GB oem Samsung D-Die. 3200MHz
Video Card(s) RX 6600 Pulse w/conductonaut @65C hotspot
Storage 1x 128gb nvme Samsung 950 Pro - 4x 1tb sata Hitachi 2.5" hdds
Display(s) Samsung C24RG50FQI
Case Jonsbo C2 (almost itx sized)
Audio Device(s) integrated Realtek crap
Power Supply Seasonic SSR-750FX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Redragon K539 brown switches
Software Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 + Windows 10 21H2 LTSC (patched).
Benchmark Scores Cinebench: R15 3050 pts, R20 7000 pts, R23 17800 pts, r2024 1050 pts.
Maybe with 2.31 the compatibility with WinXP was finally broken. Anyways, what is the purpose of installing 2.34 if 2.30 can do the job?

I mean i understand that there are some programs that would run best under Windows XP, and that there are environments that WinXP is suited for better than Win7 for example. That is ok and is why Win XP can still be a viable choice. But i dont think that you want to install 2.34 because your RTX 3080 sensors dont show up properly, right?;)

Rei

System Name 1 Desktop/2 Laptops/1 Netbook
Processor AMD Athon X2 64/Intel Pentium 997/Intel Pentium 4/Intel Atom
Motherboard EpoX ATX motherboard/Samsung/Toshiba/Lenovo
Cooling Stock
Memory 4 GB/4 GB/2 GB/2 GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti/Intel HD Graphics/GeForce 4MX/Intel GMA
Storage 6+ TB Total
Display(s) HP Pavilion 14 Inch 1024x768@60Hz 4:3 Aspect Ratio CRT Monitor
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Power Supply Seasonic 500 Watt & VenomRX 500 Watt
Mouse Wayes Iron Man Wireless Mouse
Keyboard Rexus VR2 Wireless Keyboard
Software Win10 & WinXP SP3
Benchmark Scores It sucks...

I have several computers running XP.
All have Intel processors of different types.
You are not being clear here. Why do YOU need to install GPU-Z badly? Why does it need to have it's registry installed?
There is no problem here on my end running the latest GPU-Z (2.34.0) on all for of my computers running WinXP.
Also considering that to install the GPU-Z, the program needs to run as well to show the option to install from the settings menu. Which means that GPU-Z is running open on your computer to which you do not need to install afterwards.
My guess is that the installer itself no longer supports WinXP.
Maybe with 2.31 the compatibility with WinXP was finally broken. Anyways, what is the purpose of installing 2.34 if 2.30 can do the job?

I mean i understand that there are some programs that would run best under Windows XP, and that there are environments that WinXP is suited for better than Win7 for example. That is ok and is why Win XP can still be a viable choice. But i dont think that you want to install 2.34 because your RTX 3080 sensors dont show up properly, right?;)
Which is hilarious since there is no driver for WinXP since GTX 780 Ti (except for GTX 950 & GTX 960). That is why 780Ti is my last stop for GPU upgrade.

System Name Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-45-R715)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard AMD Promontory / Bixby FCH
Cooling Acer Nitro Sense
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Graphics (Cezanne) / NVIDIA RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
Storage WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ
Display(s) BOE CQ NE156QHM-NY3
Software Windows 11 beta channel
If you haven't done already, update Windows XP using the POSready trick.

At least on my XP rig GPU-Z 2.34 installs and runs fine.

StefanXP.png

Processor Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge/Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge/Core i3-4330 Haswell
Storage 2x1TB ADATA SSDs in RAID0+3 HDDs/2xCrucial 1TB SSDs in RAID0+3 HDDs/Samsung 1TB SSD+8TB+4TB HDDs
Audio Device(s) Kenwood Mini HiFi system/Microlab speakers/Philips HDMI (main)+LG TV monitor HDMI + Apple headphones
Mouse Microsoft Ergonomic Sculpt Desktop 2.0 (combo)@Razer Goliath mousepad (Medium speed)
Software Win10 64-bit (Main PC v.1809 RTM Enterprise/2nd PC v.1903 Insider Preview Pro/3rd PC - same as 2nd)

I have several computers running XP. All have Intel processors of different types.
No. Please list the EXACT Intel CPU models.
It does not matter to GPU-Z if you use WinXP Home or Pro (above in bold). But it does matter what exact CPUs you use!
Because recently there have been some changes in GPU-Z that drop or change support for some very old AMD and/or Intel CPUs. :)
Newer CPU models being not affected by this change -- so, please list the exact models, so we can be sure. :)

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Version 2.30.0 is the last version that can be installed without any previously earlier version installed.
Since version 2.31.0 (the current version today is 2.34.0) I can't install it on computers with XP. (maybe it has something to do with the changes in installation needed for the new -install and -installSilent switches)
It should still work, maybe InnoSetup (the underlying installer) had some changes. Let me investigate.

Just to clarify, GPU-Z starts fine by itself, and reports correct values, just running the installer fails?

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Just to clarify, GPU-Z starts fine by itself, and reports correct values, just running the installer fails?
That seems to be the case according to his garbled statement. Any reason why you added an installer, especially within an already working standalone application?

I think latest GPU-Z version does not even run for him at all. (So, not any Installer issue here - or at least, not the only issue ;) )

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
I think latest GPU-Z version does not even run for him at all. (So, not any Installer issue here - or at least, not the only issue ;) )
Not based on his third comment. He just FEELS THE NEED to install it. That's all.
Of course, to install it, one needs to run the "portable" program.

uchon

Let me clarify:
On XP running computers
If I try to install (or even run) from version 2.31.0 nothing happens.
If I first install version 2.30.0 (or earlier versions), then versions 2.31.0 (and newer) runs and installs correctly.
So I don't think it has anything to do with the CPU.

By the way, thank you all for your responses, efforts and willingness to help me.

Rei

Cooling Stock
Storage 6+ TB Total
Case None
Audio Device(s) Various
Let me clarify:
On XP running computers
If I try to install (or even run) from version 2.31.0 nothing happens.
If I first install version 2.30.0 (or earlier versions), then versions 2.31.0 (and newer) runs and installs correctly.
So I don't think it has anything to do with the CPU.

By the way, thank you all for your responses, efforts and willingness to help me.
I think it might have something to do with what you did to your copies of WinXP cuz StefanM installed the GPU-Z 2.34.0 & ran the program just fine & I myself am also running GPU-Z 2.34.0 just fine on all four of my WinXP computers with the exception that I did not installed mine nor do I need to & neither do you.

Can you at least uninstall any previous version of GPU-Z than check if GPU-Z 2.34.0 runs without installing it, then try installing it too.

Nope - exact CPU is clearly a factor, as W1zzard recently changed the way GPU-Z works with very old Intel & AMD processors, those lacking certain newer instruction sets. :)
So, to quote it would be nice!
(You are welcome. :) )

@Rei -- yousa misunderstand uchon's texts!
Meesa understand his cryptic writings better. ;) :p

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Is the OP trying to run it with a stripped version of XP? :confused:

If so that may be the explanation as to why it doesn't run. Something in that case probrably got stripped out GPU-Z needs to run period OR as I referred to earlier it's a permissions issue requiring it to be ran as an Administrator.
If the OS stripping wasn't done correctly one can have plenty of problems pop up like this.
Only real solution to that would be to reinstall a "Proper" (Unstripped) copy of XP and try again.

Lot of reasons why it woudn't run here but I agree, the CPU itself is a non-factor.
If the machine boots and runs the OS itself it should let the program run as well based on whether the CPU is an issue or not.

@Bones -- you are wrong, because GPU-Z had changes in exactly this area recently, so CPU does matter. :)
You are wrong about WinXP modifications too - I bet he is using a standard, non-modified, RTM copy of WinXP on all PCs. :)

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
About the CPU - You may well be right about that I'll admit. I don't run GPU-Z alot because I don't have a real need to for noticing any changes with it.

As for the stripped OS I know I'm right about that being a possibility - I've stripped XP too many times before myself, ran into problems with the wrong thing(s) getting removed and so on while trying to create a copy just for benching use.

Note I said possibility here.

Neither of us can factually state he's using a standard copy of XP, only he can do that.