• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP or 2003

ati.bob

I'm going to install a new OS, I have Windows XP Pro at hand but I had problems with it lately (attacked by trojans 3 times lately after 3 re-installs with ZoneAlarm Sec. Suite 5 firewall).. I'm thinking of switching to Windows Server 2003 Web/Standard/Enterprise but I don't know it will work as well as XP (in terms of performance) as my system is a bit old... :p

2k3 is godly, not sure on old platforms though, the slowest machine running it is my dual p3 1Ghz server.

If you ask me it's nearly the same as XP so it shouldn't be a problem.
http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/index.htm <-- Go there if you'll attempt to run 2k3

I use the standard server myself, it runs nearly all software XP runs, though sometimes it's detected wrong by Doom 3 for example (can manually install it or edit the msi to install on any OS)

I'm a happy camper with it.

ati.bob

I read about the article before (thanks for the link anyway).. but I had problems installing my ZA Sec. Suite 5 firewall on it coz it says it's not designed to run on server systems.. That might happen to other software too...

Hardly, I've been running it for months. And why would you run zonealarm? If you have a decent router it'll block anything nasty. Or you could try another soft firewall ofcourse.

Or run 2K/XP ;)

ati.bob

I'm on dial-up so no routers for me.. Maybe I'll give XP a try with the nLite Installation options...

System Name Blackbird
Processor AMD Threadripper 3960X 24-core
Motherboard Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master
Cooling Full custom-loop water cooling, mostly Aqua Computer and EKWB stuff!
Memory 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident-Z RGB @3733-CL14
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung 950PRO 512GB, Crusial P5 2TB, Samsung 850PRO 1TB
Display(s) LG 38GN950-B 38" IPS TFT, Dell U3011 30" IPS TFT
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Audio Device(s) Edifier S1000DB
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor 1200W (SeaSonic)
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M800
Software MS Windows 10 Pro for Workstation
Benchmark Scores A lot.
w2k3 is the best os microsoft ever made i think...
maybe it looks like xp, the kernel is definitely not the same. w2k3 has improved process scheduling for instance an a better tcp/ip implementation, but the major advantage for me is the improved disk-write-cache option you may find in the property page on each installed hard drive. it lets you choose to fully enable the write cache of the hard disk. so no 'scsi-bug'-thing any more... :)

but now the problem is that w2k3 is expensive. for the standard edition you have to pay around 500€, for the enterprise edition it's around 3000€!!! - but if you have a dual-opteron system you will need the numa-support, which is only included in the enterprise edition, to get the full potential out of your system.

to answer the question about your firewall: yes its right, you cannot run desktop software on a server if the software company has a server version of their software available and has coded some checks into their products. but zonealarm sucks anyway... ;)
install the tiny personal firewall if you can get a copy or try the kerio-freeware-version of tiny (i'm not shure if the kerio-fw will run on w2k3, but tiny does, just give it a try... :)).

just another tip: sometimes if an installer won't let you install a software package, try the compatibility option on the installer and switch the mode to 'windows xp'... among other things it works on logitech's mouseware. ;)
(these options can be found if you right-click on the .exe an then choose 'properties'->'compatibility')