1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP SP3 won't install

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Black Panther, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I downloaded the RC from the official windows site. Double clicked it, and it appeared obvious that it was going to take quite a very long time so I didn't stay in front of the pc.

When I returned like an hour later I found a message on the monitor saying that the update hadn't installed and I was to click 'ok' to roll back the installation, which I did and it took more than 15 minutes...

Anyone can help me on why it didn't install? Like for example should I keep my original XP disk in the drive (I've got a legal copy and all)? Or anything else which I might have missed?

I know I can just retry and experiment myself, but I thought I'd post here first just in case someone can help me, before I waste hours not being able to use my pc!

Million thanks!
    :respect:

2. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

3. mrchosit

mrchosit New Member

Thanks Received:
    Me, too.

4. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    any more info on the error would be helpfull

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    What I got was a message saying that the update installation was unsuccessful, update not installed, please click OK to roll back the installation.

It's not quoted but that's what it meant.

I'll be trying again to install it and this time I'll copy what it says and post it here.

And this time I'll put my XP installation disk in the drive just in case as well.

I so would really like to install SP3 - I've read about people getting +10 fps on very high at Crysis settings.... :cry: Me Want Now! :mad: :D

EDIT: So... all was going well when I made my 2nd attempt to reinstall SP3.
    It was progressing well, then when I right-clicked on Iobit smart defrag to quit the program just in case I had a very brief BSOD.

Now I have to roll back everything and retry *sigh* :(

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    make sure you shutdown everything i had to or it hung also update your xp as it is right now you need all the updates..after you get all the updates diskcleanup and defrag.....THEN reboot and after it boots up dont run ANYTHING and try to install it.....but if you dont mind id request you do a chkdisk and re download the SP3 it may have been currupted if you were running things.

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    More "hints" before starting download;

Defrag HDD
    Update windows
    Turn off anit-virus/spyware/firewall.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Black Panther

Thanks Received:
    Solaris17 -- I shut down everything. All running programs, all superfluous processes, short of trying a clean boot from msconfig or running under Safe Mode.

Next time I try I'll keep in mind to re-download the SP3 while only my AV is running and nothing else, and run a checkdisk before doing it just in case. I have my XP updated with all priority updates.

Namslas90
    : I defrag'd my HDD yesterday. Windows is fully updated with all high priority updates (please don't tell me that I should be needing updates for even programs I don't have for this SP to install!?!)
    Also, spyware and firewall were turned off during downloading. All spyware, firewall, and antivirus were turned off during installation...

Here's what I got during my 3rd attempt:

- backing up files
    - backing up registry
    - creating restore point
    - installing file xxxx.dll......... xxxx.exe ......... etc

Then I went away from the pc.
    Found a blue screen not a BSOD but like a normal XP welcome screen or diskcheck screen. It was not diskcheck but similar --- saying "Setup has been interrupted, restoring prior configuration"...

After 5 minutes pc restarted .

Then I got a message saying that installation of the service pack was not completed and a roll back has been initiated. Step one has been completed. Click OK to start Step 2.

So I clicked OK and after like 5-10 minutes again the pc restarted.

I got a message saying that the software update removal wizard is running.

Deleting files...
    Copying files...
    Updating registry...
    Running processes...
    perforing cleanup....
    starting services....

Geesh all this total process takes like an hour. I think I'm gonna give up and then re-attempt when SP3 is released officially! :banghead: