• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wiped stock thermal paste off of Wraith Prism cpu cooler and 3600x cpu, replaced with kryonaut. Temperatures higher though?

Processor Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard ASUS Tuf Gaming X570 Plus Wi-Fi
Cooling Stock Wraith Spire Cooler without Mount using a 40x40mm Innovation Cooling Graphite Pad
Memory 2x16gb T-force Vulcan DDR4 3200 (32GB)
Video Card(s) Stock/Founder Edition's RTX 2070 Super
Storage 256GB NvMe ADATA Xgroup M.2 SSD, External 4tb usb 3.0 Western Digital HD
Display(s) Acer 22" IPS 4ms 1080p75hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 50
Audio Device(s) Built-in Motherboard sound out to a Tribit MaxSound Plus Bluetooth Speaker through 3.5mm connect
Power Supply 650W 80+Gold EVGA GQ2
Mouse Cheap Logitech wired mouse
Keyboard Cheap Logitech Wired keyboard
Software Win 10 1903 "Education"
I have a 3600x with an asus tuf x570 wi fi mobo and a mattrexx 50 case.

Anyways I had a spare never used wraith prism cooler with the stock paste still and used that instead of the wraith spire. Temperatures dropped and it was working pretty good.

However I had to get into my computer and change my nvme drive so I had to remove the heatsink and in doing so I used 99% rubbing alcohol to completely clean the thermal paste off of the prism and cpu.

I ordered two small 1 gram tubes of kryonaut and just put it on tonight. However the temperatures are higher than they were with the stock paste. I used up the whole tube doing the paste three times. I spread it at first, wiped it off then tried the x method, wiped that off then did the line method.

All three times I did this my temps were higher than before. Cinebench r15 would never go above 77 celsius even during five multi core tests in a row. Immediately it jumps to about 83 celsius now. Also my max boost all core clock on everything stock/auto would boost to 4.1 ghz all core prior to this with the fan switch on high now i get 4.03 at best with full speed high setting cpu cooler fan and by the time the benchmark is over I am around 3.97 ghz. I used to get in the 1620's (1629

was the best I ever got) if I had the prism set to high and full speed in bios and even with silent bios and low setting on the prism I'd get between 1595 and 1605 so about 1600 on average. Now I'm getting that with high speed prism and full fan speed and 1550's! when I'm on low prism fan speed and silent fan bios.

What am I doing wrong? Could I have gotten a bit of the old stock thermal compound under the lid in the area where the i/o die and chiplet is on the cpu and could that affect the heat? Did I put the paste on wrong?

I'm so fed up I just ordered a new wraith prism on ebay to see if that will help and if not then I might just order another 3600x or even just plain 3600. This is crap.

Also when I was cleaning the thermal paste off I think I may have had some get inbetween the small gap between the IHS and the top of the cpu. Could some of that thermal paste have gotten onto the IO Die or chiplet and be effecting that? If so is there a way I can remove that without delidding?

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.

Anyways I had a spare never used wraith prism cooler with the stock paste still and used that instead of the wraith spire. Temperatures dropped and it was working pretty good.

However I had to get into my computer and change my nvme drive so I had to remove the heatsink and in doing so I used 99% rubbing alcohol to completely clean the thermal paste off of the prism and cpu.

I ordered two small 1 gram tubes of kryonaut and just put it on tonight. However the temperatures are higher than they were with the stock paste. I used up the whole tube doing the paste three times. I spread it at first, wiped it off then tried the x method, wiped that off then did the line method.

All three times I did this my temps were higher than before. Cinebench r15 would never go above 77 celsius even during five multi core tests in a row. Immediately it jumps to about 83 celsius now. Also my max boost all core clock on everything stock/auto would boost to 4.1 ghz all core prior to this with the fan switch on high now i get 4.03 at best with full speed high setting cpu cooler fan and by the time the benchmark is over I am around 3.97 ghz. I used to get in the 1620's (1629

was the best I ever got) if I had the prism set to high and full speed in bios and even with silent bios and low setting on the prism I'd get between 1595 and 1605 so about 1600 on average. Now I'm getting that with high speed prism and full fan speed and 1550's! when I'm on low prism fan speed and silent fan bios.

What am I doing wrong? Could I have gotten a bit of the old stock thermal compound under the lid in the area where the i/o die and chiplet is on the cpu and could that affect the heat? Did I put the paste on wrong?

I'm so fed up I just ordered a new wraith prism on ebay to see if that will help and if not then I might just order another 3600x or even just plain 3600. This is crap.

Also when I was cleaning the thermal paste off I think I may have had some get inbetween the small gap between the IHS and the top of the cpu. Could some of that thermal paste have gotten onto the IO Die or chiplet and be effecting that? If so is there a way I can remove that without delidding?

You maybe not using enough paste but it could also be the mounting pressure of the cooler changed a bit off the fresh mount and that made a difference... I know the feeling though -- ive had this happen to me before and it is frustrating.

but the good news is you could be getting much much higher scores and clocks at lower temps... specifically if you tune your chip to lower volts and a 4.2 ghz oc at around 1.3v (which should be stable and cooler than before). Just solve the problem another way before you lose your mind swapping coolers. You will be getting in the low to mid 1700's and your comp wont be baking itself.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Don't go ordering more coolers or processors, you're fine. There's no way any paste could have gotten under the heatspreader either, so you're fine there too.

We're talking a few degrees C difference. The kryonaut paste should be better than whatever came with the stock cooler, but the stock paste isn't bad either, so you stand to gain little... especially on the stock cooler. The Prism isn't a terrible cooler, but it's not great either. The old paste was probably nice and comfy having sat there for some time, and the new paste hasn't had a chance to work itself in, or "cure" yet. Also, since the Prism isn't exactly a great cooler, I wouldn't expect any lower temps. The already marginal difference between the pastes isn't going to matter much when the cooler is going to be heat soaked either way.

FWIW, the pea method works best for me. Next time you have to re-seat something, try applying a pea-sized blob of paste, maybe a little more if it's a big chip, and let the mounting pressure spread it. This works best on surfaces that are mostly square. Save the line method for surfaces that are obviously rectangular.

If you're going to buy anything to get your temps lower, buy another cooler... an aftermarket one that will perform better than the Prism.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64

Use Spread method, put hsf down and twist a couple of times

Did you take the CPU out of the socket when you re-pasted? If so, sometimes motherboard reset the BIOS settings when you take the CPU out. Your fan curve, voltages, etc. might have changed.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Did you take the CPU out of the socket when you re-pasted? If so, sometimes motherboard reset the BIOS settings when you take the CPU out. Your fan curve, voltages, etc. might have changed.

Thats a new one...

Never seen that before...

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
3600x is a hot cpu, and kryonaut is a pita to use, I would go with mx-4 2019 edition, it's cheap and it has more carbon than original mx-4 and spreads thin and easily which is what you want. Kryonaut and other high end pastes aren't worth it imo, too hard to work with for pretty much zero gains or negative gains as you've had.

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
I agree, MX-4 is my go-to paste for everything. I recommend it everywhere, however, he already has Kryonaut, so...

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
I agree, MX-4 is my go-to paste for everything. I recommend it everywhere, however, he already has Kryonaut, so...
Yeah but in his case it's had a negative effect, possibly from bubbling or not enough paste but negative nonetheless which is why I recommended an alternative. It is difficult to get the spread just right with kryonaut, when I tried and tested it I wound up removing it and using something else as it didn't perform as expected for me either.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
Yeah but in his case it's had a negative effect, possibly from bubbling or not enough paste but negative nonetheless which is why I recommended an alternative. It is difficult to get the spread just right with kryonaut, when I tried and tested it I wound up removing it and using something else as it didn't perform as expected for me either.
I would still argue that, if the goal here is low temps, he's better served by getting a better cooler than messing around with thermal pastes that will result in single digit differences.

D

Deleted member 67555

How do you have the heatsink mounted?

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Thats a new one...

Never seen that before...
I feel you... but I've seen it myself, with Asus boards. Don't ask me how it knows you removed it without booting up with no CPU or a different CPU. o_O

My guess is that it's always being monitored... maybe a standby signal looping through the CPU? All that needs to work is the battery supplying a very weak, but constant signal. Probably wouldn't affect the life of the battery anywhere near like keeping the bios memory alive already does. Remove the CPU and break that signal path, it will know you removed it. And then even if it detects the same CPU, it wouldn't know it was literally the exact same one, and thus wipes the BIOS to configure what it sees as a new CPU. All it knows is that you removed a CPU and installed a CPU. Hell, it could just be cutting the power from the battery when you don't have a CPU installed. Maybe it's cheaper to build it that way? :confused: Definitely would improve storage life of the battery when the mobo isn't in a machine.

Just a guess. I do know that your standard Asus Ryzen boards will wipe your settings if you pull the CPU. Unless I was just unlucky with two different boards.

I wonder if changes to seating could interrupt it significantly enough to trigger that. I would hope the connection isn't that bad, but I have seen reseating CPUs fix things they shouldn't have too many times :laugh:

Seems unnessesary, considering there are other easy ways for it to tell if you've inserted a new CPU. Basically any other board will detect it and prompt you to configure a swapped CPU by default, but I don't remember any others ever giving this prompt after simply removing the CPU and reseating it. But yeh, it's a thing.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
I feel you... but I've seen it myself, with Asus boards. Don't ask me how it knows you removed it without booting up with no CPU or a different CPU. o_O

My guess is that it's always being monitored... maybe a standby signal looping through the CPU? All that needs to work is the battery supplying a very weak, but constant signal. Probably wouldn't affect the life of the battery anywhere near like keeping the bios memory alive already does. Remove the CPU and break that signal path, it will know you removed it. And then even if it detects the same CPU, it wouldn't know it was literally the exact same one, and thus wipes the BIOS to configure what it sees as a new CPU. All it knows is that you removed a CPU and installed a CPU. Hell, it could just be cutting the power from the battery when you don't have a CPU installed. Maybe it's cheaper to build it that way? :confused: Definitely would improve storage life of the battery when the mobo isn't in a machine.

Just a guess. I do know that your standard Asus Ryzen boards will wipe your settings if you pull the CPU. Unless I was just unlucky with two different boards.

I wonder if changes to seating could interrupt it significantly enough to trigger that. I would hope the connection isn't that bad, but I have seen reseating CPUs fix things they shouldn't have too many times :laugh:

Seems unnessesary, considering there are other easy ways for it to tell if you've inserted a new CPU. Basically any other board will detect it and prompt you to configure a swapped CPU by default, but I don't remember any others ever giving this prompt after simply removing the CPU and reseating it. But yeh, it's a thing.
I've had this with the two MSI B350/B450 boards I've used, still using the B450. Taking the CPU out even though it's the same results in it reseting the BIOS with Default settings, and notifying the CPU was changed. Offers the option to go to the BIOS (press F1) or to continue booting.

I've also seen this on older boards, Socket AM3 Phenom II, and for Intel when I had a Xeon Ivy Bridge (1240 V2)/Devils Canyon Haswell (4790K.)

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
One thing that's being overlooked is Kryonaut was made for extreme OC'ing, not everyday use. It's formulated for just that and many are just assuming since it can be used for XOC it should perform better than standard TIM and it really does under extreme conditions.....
As for the everyday useage stuff it's really no better than most any other you can get for less.

I've used it and other stuff for both scenario's, XOC and everyday use and Kryonaut works fine when freezing chips and leaning on them hard because that's what it was made and formulated to be used for but I've also found a few more common TIM's that works fine too, even under LN2.

MX4 carbon is one I've ran before with LN2 - Worked great for it and works well too for everyday stuff, plus it's not as expensive to get and easier to work with.
Using MX4 Carbon now with my daily (x2700) and temps are just fine.

Chloefile

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Fractal Design Define Mini C
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legendary
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Phobya HeGrease Extreme user here.. still tho almost every paste spreads similarly, just put a drop on the center of the IHS and let the cooler mounting pressure do the rest. :)

D

Deleted member 67555

I've had this with the two MSI B350/B450 boards I've used, still using the B450. Taking the CPU out even though it's the same results in it reseting the BIOS with Default settings, and notifying the CPU was changed. Offers the option to go to the BIOS (press F1) or to continue booting.

I've also seen this on older boards, Socket AM3 Phenom II, and for Intel when I had a Xeon Ivy Bridge (1240 V2)/Devils Canyon Haswell (4790K.)
Funny story..
2 days ago I switched out an i5-2500 for a i5-3570k on a Gigabyte Z77z-UD4H....I assumed the bios would reset and it would know the cpu got switched...but it didn't.
It was running as if the i5-2500 was in there...I had to manually reset to defaults.
I had an MSI Z77 in 2013 and I'm 100% positive you didn't have to reset to default for a cpu change...
I honestly don't remember other than 2 days ago needing to reset the bios for a cpu change, seemed auto..I do remember needing to though...been awhile tho.

Processor Ryzen 5 3600X
Cooling Stock Wraith Spire Cooler without Mount using a 40x40mm Innovation Cooling Graphite Pad
Storage 256GB NvMe ADATA Xgroup M.2 SSD, External 4tb usb 3.0 Western Digital HD
Case DeepCool Matrexx 50
Audio Device(s) Built-in Motherboard sound out to a Tribit MaxSound Plus Bluetooth Speaker through 3.5mm connect
You maybe not using enough paste but it could also be the mounting pressure of the cooler changed a bit off the fresh mount and that made a difference... I know the feeling though -- ive had this happen to me before and it is frustrating.

but the good news is you could be getting much much higher scores and clocks at lower temps... specifically if you tune your chip to lower volts and a 4.2 ghz oc at around 1.3v (which should be stable and cooler than before). Just solve the problem another way before you lose your mind swapping coolers. You will be getting in the low to mid 1700's and your comp wont be baking itself.

I've always read that it's actually not a good idea to undervolt ryzen because although it looks like you gain performance but actually lose some. But if not I'd love to undervolt my processor if it meant better performance and lower temps without getting another cooler. I've done that with my i7-8750h laptop and it works so much better. How would I go about doing that?

Previous version of MX4 had nasty degradation when applied straight on die, is 2019 version any better?

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G27Q + AOC 19'
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11 x64
What a crime, the stock paste is of very high quality. At least justify it with a big ass Noctua.

Processor Ryzen 5 3600X
Case DeepCool Matrexx 50
Yeah I got another cooler and I'm trying that but I don't think I got it on exactly dead on center so I don't think all the paste is completely covering the cpu ihs. Oh well. I'll still give it a few days to see if that cure time helps.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Previous version of MX4 had nasty degradation when applied straight on die, is 2019 version any better?
I can't positively answer that but since it has carbon in it I don't see it being any worse than other stuff. BTW I've noticed in the past MX2/4 does "Dry" up to what looks like a patch or something on the chip but it still conducts heat well even in that state.
Carbon itself is about the best heat conductor there is and should be fine for direct die use. If the current formula dries as well it could be the best TIM to use for such applications and only one way to really know.

Processor Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F
Cooling Dark Rock 4, 3x Corsair ML140 front intake, 1x rear exhaust
Memory 2x8GB TridentZ RGB [3600Mhz CL16]
Video Card(s) EVGA 3060ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Storage 970 EVO 500GB nvme, 860 EVO 250GB SATA, Seagate Barracuda 1TB + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) 27" MSI G27C4 FHD 165hz
Case NZXT H710
Audio Device(s) Modi Multibit, Vali 2, Shortest Way 51+ - LSR 305's, Focal Clear, HD6xx, HE5xx, LCD-2 Classic
Power Supply Corsair RM650x v2
Mouse iunno whatever cheap crap logitech *clutches Xbox 360 controller security blanket*
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores ask your mother
Yeah I got another cooler and I'm trying that but I don't think I got it on exactly dead on center so I don't think all the paste is completely covering the cpu ihs. Oh well. I'll still give it a few days to see if that cure time helps.
Complete coverage isn't required. You'll find a lot of divergent opinions on glob vs spread and all sorts of different patterns. But they tend not to measure far enough off from eachother to mean anything. Small variance, and neither consistently wins out. If you are truly after full coverage, spread is the way. Personally I've been globbing in the middle with Ryzen since gen 1 and had no temperature issues. With paste, if temperatures are in line, you've done it right. If they run away, your cooling solution and case flow are adequate, and you aren't running out of spec or something, that's the time to fix ya gook. Don't be a mook.

The area that needs coverage is in the middle. That's where the dip in the IHS is, and also where the dies that give off the real heat are. The rest is basically just to protect delicate little capacitors/resistors bordering and give support to the plate/spread pressure. The layout of a Ryzen 3000 looks like this:
2-Overall-Design.png

As you can see, there's nothing going on out there on the edges. Draw a circle around where those dies are and that is where a thin, uniform layer needs to be, if anywhere. It doesn't take much, and it doesn't have to be dead center. Chances are it'll extend well past where the heat actually is regardless.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 3600X
Case DeepCool Matrexx 50
Yeah it was the new wraith prism cooler i got with the stock paste still on. I have it on the cpu now and it seems to be doing ok. Still not quite what it was on the old cooler prior to me wiping off the stock paste and trying kryonaut (made it worse) and I didn't put it dead center and it's spread around a bit on the heatsink and cpu but I'm hoping after a few days cure time I'll have performance back to what I had prior.

Any other power plans, bios settings, etc. that could help with better boost clocks and lower temperatures?

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
You could play with undervolting, perhaps, but I'm not skilled enough with Ryzen to really offer good advice there. The most effective thing you can do is get a better cooler.