• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wire management taken too far?

After looking through the case gallery I have noticed that some users have taken the whole "cable management" thing way too far.

What is the point of pulling every single wire in your case as hard as you can and jamming it behind the motherboard tray or motherboard then taping them all in a huge knot? I agree that one of the main problems in airflow is poor cable management, but come on people...

I don't know...I am probably going to get some backlash because of this post, but I am wondering if anyone else feels the same way?

Sure, when it comes to good cable management and I am the first person to yell and scream at another, but I don't think that it is good to pinch and crimp wires in the smallest places just so the inside of your case looks like nothing is actually hooked up.

I have always believed that using any type of tape in a computer case is a no no.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Better wire management leads to better air flow. Better air flow leads to lower temps for over clockers. Better temps for overclockers leads to higher fsb. You get the drift. Plus it looks good and professional.

Water Drop

Processor Intel Xeon X3210 Quad Core (G0) @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty Dark P35-T2RS
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120A w/ Scythe S-Flex F 120mm
Memory G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-1000
Video Card(s) eVGA Geforce 8800GT 512MB
Storage WD Black 1TB + 320GB
Display(s) Dell Ultrasharp 20.1" Widescreen 2005FPW (1680x1050)
Case Cooler Master Centurion 5 w/window (black inside and out, debadged)
Power Supply Seasonic X750 Gold
Software Windows 7 Professional x64
If you have a case with a window, then cable management is important, because if you have a cats nest of wires visible, it's just ugly. One of the nice things about highend PC's such as Alienware's, Voodoo's, and even the Mac Pro, is that they all have excellent wire management, and is part of the cost of the system. When you build your own, you can do just as good of wire management and it doesn't cost you a dime. It's a cheap way to improve your computer's look.

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X99
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 4x8GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2666 15-17-17-15
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
Storage 1x Plextor PX-512M6S SSD, 1x WD 750gb HDD, 2x Hitachi 2TB HDD, 1x Seagate 4TB HDD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2314H
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse ROCCAT Kone Pure Color White
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB - Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
AFAIC, wire management is one of the most important aspects of building and overclocking. Also most of the cables that are taped are taped to the back of mobo tray, causing no harm. I don't think you're going to win this battle...

You guys aren't understanding what I am saying.

I agree with everything you are saying but what I am saying is that there is no point crimping, jamming and pinching wires under the motherboard then finishing up the job with some tape.

My case has great cable management without any tape or pinching of wires.

I don't think I am going win this battle either.

System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7

I agree with everything you are saying but what I am saying is that there is no point crimping, jamming and pinching wires under the motherboard then finishing up the job with some tape.

Depends on how much management the owner wants. You can never tell someone they have too much wire management.

Processor Intel i7-5930k
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X99
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 4x8GB HyperX FURY DDR4-2666 15-17-17-15
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
Storage 1x Plextor PX-512M6S SSD, 1x WD 750gb HDD, 2x Hitachi 2TB HDD, 1x Seagate 4TB HDD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2314H
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse ROCCAT Kone Pure Color White
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB - Cherry MX Brown
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I see nothing wrong with jamming the wires and such...personally I don't do it because I have no need to.

Depends on how much management the owner wants. You can never tell someone they have too much wire management.

I guess I don't like to have a case that looks amazing at first look and have it look disgusting behind the motherboard or motherboard tray.

I like to find the happy medium between the two. Tape is just unprofessional.

Last edited:
System Name AM5
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Case Fractal Define R7
I guess I don't like to have a case that looks amazing at first look and have it look disgusting behind the motherboard or motherboard tray.

I like to find the happy medium between the two. Tape is just unprofessional.

BUT this is only my opinion. SO...it really doesn't matter what I think.

Nah I disagree, your opinion does matter. Everyone has their own definition of what good wire management is. Wether you go as far as some people doesn't really matter. As long as your air flow is optimal and everything looks organized, there should be no reason for someone to give negative reviews.

System Name Lian Li Carbon fiber ed.
Processor Intel i5 2500k 4.6Ghz 24/7 Max OC 5Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Swiftech blocks, 360 Xflow rad, Swiftech 120 rad, Liang with XSPC res/pump top.
Memory 8Gb Mushkin 1600Mhz 8-9-8-24
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD6950 2Gb
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 128 / Western Digital 160
Display(s) ASUS 25,5" wide VW266h
Power Supply Corsair HX620 modular
Software Windows 7 64
So don't say things like that then.:slap::D
Wire management is pretty important to create a overall look of the pc.
I agree that jamming cables into tight spaces is a no no, but when done right it is a great part of a casemod.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
I believe in doing enough wire management to not hinder airflow, which really doesn't take much. Spend one extra hour putting your rig together and odds are you will find a successful route for most of your wiring. One or two wires aren't really going to be a huge hinderance to overall cooling, or at least one that would be noticable.

Some people do go too far, and some go beyond that, which for me is cool to see, but nothing I would aspire for. I try to mix the looks/function a bit, but I'm more for function when it comes down to it. As long as there aren't a bunch of wires in front of fans, over heat-sinks, I'm happy.

Zip-Ties of various sizes and yes even the occasional tape (if really needed) will be very helpful, along with seeing what others have done with similar cases/builds. I think that cable management can easily get out of hand, and in the end, as long as airflow isn't impacted and it looks okay to you, who really cares? If you build a gaming rig and spend more time playing with the damn wires and hardware...what was the point of wasting money on a gaming rig? Just get a cheap bare-bones and play with that, give the gaming rig to someone who'll use it for GAMING!

Everyone has their own opinions and suggestions in this area, really I think some take it TOO seriously. But there has to be the spectrum of folks like me who just care enough about cable management for function, and those who like things to look like they're damn near wireless inside of your case, and everyone in between.

:toast:

So don't say things like that then.:slap::D
Wire management is pretty important to create a overall look of the pc.
I agree that jamming cables into tight spaces is a no no, but when done right it is a great part of a casemod.

I think the case as a whole should have good cable management.

Processor Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell Quad-Core 3.6GHz LGA 1150 84W
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-H87-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI
Cooling CPU - Cooler Master Hyper T4 / Case - cooler master 120mm rear case fan (Air cooling)
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) GTX1060 6GB
Storage Samsung 512 GB 840 PRO SSD Main Drive and Samsung 512 GB 840 EVO SSD Backup Drive
Display(s) ASUS 23" LED Monitor
Case COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 (silver & black)
Audio Device(s) (onboard audio) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply CORSAIR SU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Software Windows 10 Home Premium 64bit Edition

I don't think I am going win this battle either.

i totally agree with you, if its in the way of airflow i could understand it but unless you still have IDE ribbons in your case, nothing restricts the airflow untill you reach over 100mph where turbulance has an effect. yes a ball of spagetti will interfere somewhat but unless your a total idiot 2 zip ties will confine your entire wiring harness to one trunkline.

i say right now you are wrong if you think you are making any difference beyond that. yes it looks nice and yes getting the main trunk out of the airflows direct path helps but after that it is all about looks.

give me two cases, one that costs $200 with cable management and a windo the other a generic windowless case with decent airflow and you can keep your window, i'll take the generic and be happier.

to me the insides of the case hold no intrest and im not wanting to see it all the time. its like those see through phones they used to make, you couldnt give me one of those either.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
To each their own is my way at this topic.

Some people have their PC in plain view of the world on their desk. That makes it somewhat of an eyesore as a big plain case with no options. Some desire a window, so they can dress up the interior and make it look more appealing to be in the room.

Kind of likt the difference between a go to work car and a ...say 69 Camaro. you wouldnt put the nice chrome and paint on the Kia you drive to work would ya.

Some people strive to show their creativity in different venues. Some of prefer to have our PC's that are sitting within arms reach to look a little better since we see inside it all the time.

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Processor Intel i5 750 @ stock for now
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Cooling Corsair H50 with 2 x Zalman ZM-F3 push/pull
Memory 2 x 2g team extreem DDR3 2000
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 460 Top
Storage Seagate 500.12, Seagate 320.11
Display(s) BenQ FP222W - 22 inches
Case CM 590 with 5x various fans (Thermalright/Noctua)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software XP home SP3
As someone who has done cable management on a macro scale,(wiring of recording studios, churches, offices, etc.) I do appreciate the effort some guys have put into cable management.

It does depend on the type of project though, as a heavily modded case with lazy cable management looks terrible; but there are those who don't display the inside of their cases. (such as myself) In that case, simply running the cables in a neat and orderly fashion is all that's needed.

As my system also gets used to do audio work, it's designed to be as quiet as possible. And the chocolate shop colours of my Noctuas are not pretty. Hence I haven't cut holes in my case to try and hide the cables, simply tied them down to promote good airflow. My preference is to use plastic coated wire twisty thingies (serious technical term that;)) . They're not pretty, but really practical.

Oh, a point to remember, any time a cable is placed under stress, there is a Much higher likelyhood that it will break. Or even worse, sharp edges could cut through the insulation. 12V on the chassis anyone?:p

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

I agree, while I am probablly one of "those" people, I would never crimp, jam, or pinch wires under the motherboard. I would also never pull any wires "tight". Without doing any of the forementioned things, I can achieve the look of proper cable management. I run my wires along the backside and make sure the slack from the wires are nicely put away or ziptied by the PSU. It takes a lot of work to do it correctly. Some care about c/m some dont, and to each thier own.:toast:

thegave

System Name Needs a new name
Processor Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition (IT WORKS!)
Motherboard Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright XP-120
Memory 4x512mb Corsair XMS3200XL
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATi X1950Pro 512MB AGP + AC Accelero X2
Storage Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA-II 8MB cache
Display(s) Dell 1800FP
Case None!
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600W
Software Windows XP Professional
Benchmark Scores Too good for benching
If you have a case with a window, then cable management is important, because if you have a cats nest of wires visible, it's just ugly. One of the nice things about highend PC's such as Alienware's, Voodoo's, and even the Mac Pro, is that they all have excellent wire management, and is part of the cost of the system. When you build your own, you can do just as good of wire management and it doesn't cost you a dime. It's a cheap way to improve your computer's look.

My GX270 had fantastic wire management when I first got it (second hand). It's gone to pieces now after I started installing things (SATA hdd, VGA, changed the ram).

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
im waiting to see someone solder the wires to the back of the motherboard so there are absolutely no wires visible at all.

im all about cable management but, yeah.... some people take it a little far.

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
After looking through the case gallery I have noticed that some users have taken the whole "cable management" thing way too far.

What is the point of pulling every single wire in your case as hard as you can and jamming it behind the motherboard tray or motherboard then taping them all in a huge knot? I agree that one of the main problems in airflow is poor cable management, but come on people...

I don't know...I am probably going to get some backlash because of this post, but I am wondering if anyone else feels the same way?

Sure, when it comes to good cable management and I am the first person to yell and scream at another, but I don't think that it is good to pinch and crimp wires in the smallest places just so the inside of your case looks like nothing is actually hooked up.

I have always believed that using any type of tape in a computer case is a no no.

tape, for the most part is alright - although, there are better means of holding down large bundles of wires, I think most of us just don't think of it, because all those cables are on the side of the tray no one ever sees. Tape just looks tacky, though, but sometimes there isn't much choice :ohwell:

As to kinked and "stuffed" wires - yeah, that's a real bad practice, it doesn't take much to break the wire strands on some of these smaller lines.

But, looks can be decieving, also - it may appear that some wires have been stuffed into some small nooks and crannies, but then again, there might be more than enough slack on them that it's not really a problem, but if you don't take the time to wrap them some more, excessive rubbing on the corners around those crannies when pulling stuff in and out will lead to headache sooner or later.

I'm all for good cable management, too, but leaving lines with absolutely no slack, or anything else that can be considered damaging to one's hardware is definitely over doing it. If it doesn't fit, either purchase longer cables, or modify them yourself to be longer if you have the capability. Even in my case, things might look taunt coming out from behind the mobo, or near hardware, but everything has more than enough slack on the back side of the case, and I can easily work all my connector underneath the motherboard without having to remove/unscrew it from it's standoffs.

thegave

Display(s) Dell 1800FP
Case None!
What's wrong with tape? If/when I get a new case for my shit I'm going to get some pretty white or blue electrical tape to make little bundles of wire.

System Name Blaq Mamba
Processor Intel i7 950 @4Ghz Swiftech Water Cooled
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage III Formula
Cooling All are 12cm LED fans: 2x front, 1x side, 1x back, 2x inside top under CPU radiator, 2x 14cm Top.
Memory 12GB DDR3 1600 3x4GB DIMMs
Video Card(s) 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB flashed to 6970 2GB... Damn fast :p direct exhaust.
Storage 2x GSkill Phoenix Pro 120GB SSDs' in RAID 0 (500MB/s read/write). 3x 2TB WD Green in RAID 5
Display(s) 52" Sony Bravia LCD 200hz motionflow
Case NZXT Tempest Evo
Audio Device(s) 6950/6970
Power Supply 1200w Thermaltake Toughpower
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 7.7 in Windows Experience Index.... CPU holding me back...
lol.... nice thread!...... with ppl like me.... my whole case is a window!!!!!!!!
i currently have probably 1 of the worst looking lot of wires behind my mobo & shockingly i expected to get a little EMI because i have no mobo tray, my mobo is mounted directly to the side of the case (makes it a pain for cable management... but i have no other options).... but my comp still runs flawlessly! does almost look like some are under stress, but there not... i made sure of that when i had to feed them behind the mobo when i had the side & 1/2 of the mobo off!!!!
boy was that a long day........... (no tape/zipties or anything holding my cords.... just fed behind the mobo & back out to the component.)

CarolinaKSU

System Name ANTC-1221
Processor Intel Core2 Quad - Q9550 2.8ghz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-Deluxe
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-1283
Memory G.SKILL 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-1100 1.8v
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 280
Storage 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB in RAID0, WD Caviar 500GB
Display(s) Hanns-G HW223D 22"
Case Antec 1200
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker connected to Logitech G15 5.1 Surround
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower W0116RU 750W
Software Vista Home Premium 64-bit
I have the Xclio A380+ case and cable management is nearly impossible due to the design of where the power supply sits and and there is hardly any space between the motherboard tray and the other side panel. I have my wires (for the most part) neatly bundled into the corner of the case. I think this is ideal because the inside of my computer actually looks like the inside of a computer.

I believe this is where pcgolfer85 was going with the original post. Some of these cases look like just a bunch of parts in a box, the wires are what gives the computer life after all.. I believe as long as they are bundled neatly out of the way and allow for proper airflow, there is no problem with some wires visible.

I believe this is where pcgolfer85 was going with the original post. Some of these cases look like just a bunch of parts in a box, the wires are what gives the computer life after all.. I believe as long as they are bundled neatly out of the way and allow for proper airflow, there is no problem with some wires visible.

That is what I was trying to say. Thanks man!

thegave

Display(s) Dell 1800FP
Case None!
Well the tape is only meant to cover the bits that its holding together right?

Anyhoo there's always rubbing alcohol to clean the sticky off