• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wireless internet connection makes PC lag/stutter

System Name Dream Weaver
Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling NH-D14
Memory 16GB Flare X @ 3200MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+
Storage 500GB evo 970 m.2 + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) ASUS 27" 1440p 144hz FreeSync
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Software Windows 10 x64
I bought a cheapo wireless USB dongle from ebuyer for £9 (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/107691).

The driver CD that came with it is a pile of whoopsy, when I run the install program (autoexe doesn't install the drivers properly) it gets to the end and a dialog box says in broken Engrish "error there are no driver files be found".:confused:

So I just stick with the Drivers windows auto installed for the poxy thing.

Anyway, the problem is that when I use it to connect to the wireless network my PC lags like a bitch. If I'm listening to music there will be gaps in the music every so often that last 3 or 4 seconds:mad: Or when playing CSS it will lag really bad for 3 or 4 seconds. Even the mouse movement "stutters".

Do you think it could be a driver issue?

Also when I remove it and re-inserted it it isnt detected at all (there's no option to safely remove hardware for it either) and every USB device I plug in after that fails to be detected and I have to restart:banghead:

I even downloaded a load of hotfixes last night in a vain attempt to fix the issue but with no luck.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated as it's starting to get very annoying now.

THANKS!!!!! :respect:

Graogrim

System Name Paradigm
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43
Cooling OEM
Memory 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2 GB
Storage 128 MB Corsair M4 SSD + 1 TB WD Caviar Black
Display(s) Samsung 24"
Case Rosewill Challenger USB 3
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply Corsair GS 800
Software Windows 7 64 bit
More likely it's a wireless issue. Put colloquially, for gaming wireless = fail. Cheapo wireless = epic fail.

You can do some things to try to minimize the effect. Move other sources of EM interference (mobile phones, microwave ovens, space heaters on the same electrical circuit, etc) as far as possible from both your base station and your PC, and try to keep your PC in close proximity to the base station if possible. Make sure that the adapter is plugged into a USB 2.0 slot, as some systems have both USB 1.x and 2.0 connections. Use the lightest level of wireless encryption possible--it's a performance drain which cheap hardware can magnify. Try different wireless channels.

Even if you do all this you may not see a difference. Or not enough of a difference. The only real cure is to get a wired connection.

Polaris573

Senior Moderator
Processor LGA 775 Intel Q9550 2.8 Ghz
Motherboard MSI P7N Diamond - 780i Chipset
Cooling Arctic Freezer
Memory 6GB G.Skill DDRII 800 4-4-3-5
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB PCI-E
Storage 1 TB Seagate 32MB Cache, 250 GB Seagate 16MB Cache
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Coolermaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Go to device manager and find the device. Right click it and select properties, then go to the drivers tab and select update driver. When the wizard pops up and asks to search the internet for the driver tell it no. Select install from a specific location, then tell it to search the CD for the proper driver. It should find the driver and install it. If it doesn't find the driver point it to the directory on the CD where the .inf file is.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
You#ve got room in your mATX for a PCI wireless card. Get one off ebay cheap. e.g. Netgear, or other. USB is plugnplay and will only slow down your boot sequence as well as the driver problems you are having. It may also conflict with other USB devices on the same channel.

P.S. Write-off the GBP9. Dont waste more time on POS.

Processor i7 920
Motherboard EVGA X58
Cooling eight 120mm fans, Swiftech GTZ cpu block, 3 120mm radiator, MCP655 pump, primochill tubing
Memory 6 gig G-Skill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 285's (SLI)
Storage 500GB Western Digital
Display(s) 3 Asus 23 in inchers
Case Lian Li A77B
Audio Device(s) on board 7.1
Power Supply Corsair 1000
Software win 7 64
Wireless is crap!:shadedshu I had a wireless router in my apartment a little while back...had one PC hardwired to the router and the other running off of the wireless...the wireless connection always gave me fits:mad: When I moved I dropped kicked the wireless router in the garbage, got regular modem and a wired router...no problems at all now. Better to go with a direct connection if you can...And you never have to worry about some A-hole nieghbor stealing or piggybacking off your connection thus slowing you down even further...Wireless seems like a good idea BUT in my opinion it is a P-O-S!

Last edited:
System Name Dream Weaver
Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling NH-D14
Memory 16GB Flare X @ 3200MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+
Storage 500GB evo 970 m.2 + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) ASUS 27" 1440p 144hz FreeSync
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Software Windows 10 x64

JeanMichel

there are also some good wireless routers, I agree that using ethernet connection is better then wireless but most people share internet connection between multiple computers so wireless connection is a better solution for them
Wireless is crap!:shadedshu I had a wireless router in my apartment a little while back...had one PC hardwired to the router and the other running off of the wireless...the wireless connection with my gaming wireless router always gave me fits:mad: When I moved I dropped kicked the wireless router in the garbage, got regular modem and a wired router...no problems at all now. Better to go with a direct connection if you can...And you never have to worry about some A-hole nieghbor stealing or piggybacking off your connection thus slowing you down even further...Wireless seems like a good idea BUT in my opinion it is a P-O-S!

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Yes netgear is really good for home users. extreme networks wireless is good for enterprise users. ;)

Processor AMD FX 8350 Black Edition @ 4.2Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Samsung Green 16GB 30nm 1600Mhz DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD 7950 DD 3GB @ 850/5000Mhz
Storage 240GB Intel 520 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27" QHD
Case Fractal Design R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760W
Mouse Corsair Raptor M40
Keyboard Corsair Raptor K50
Software Windows 10 Pro
most wireless dont do very good online gaming. had this problem myself when i bought a linksys wmp54g wireless pci card in my first build. had lag in games caused by the way the card pings or something. after some searching i found that the wmp54gs which was older worked fine, so since i got that its been all good :D

System Name Slick
Processor Intel i5 2467M
Motherboard Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook
Memory 8GB Corsair Value
Storage Crucial M4 7mm 256GB
Display(s) 13"
Software Windows 8 Pro x64
If you are going to exchange, have a look at this one: Edimax Wireless-N150 USB Adapter | Ebuyer.com

Got that on my sister's computer and it's got much better reception than PCI adaptors. Wireless N in case you ever need it in future too.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, if you still have it and are trying to get it going...

Here are the specs
Here is the windows driver
Dynamode driver website

First, check to see if it using usb 2.0.

After you get the drivers installed, goto the "power options" in the control panel, then choose "change plan settings", and pick "change advanced power settings". Pick "Wireless adapter settings" and pick "Maximum Performance" under the "Power saving mode". Now while you are here goto "USB settings" and under the "USB selective suspend settings" choose "disabled". Click apply or ok and close.

Now open control panel, find your wireless device and look through the settings and find something to relating to the radio output and make sure you have it set for max transmission output or 100%.

Goodluck and let us know the outcome; or, if more ideas are needed.:)