1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

wireless printer adapter??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karolpl2004, Sep 1, 2008.

1. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
    hey guys here is the setup:
    Printer in the living room, router in the family room (25 ft away), and laptop (anywhere in the house)
    what she wants to do is hook up the printer through the network without moving the printer or the router. she wants to be able to print from anywhere in the house to that printer. printer is an HP Photosmart C5180 AIO.

i tried to hook it up through Dell Wireless 3300. I followed the adapter instructions and set it up right. upon the installation of the printer through the network, i could not find it. when i check through the adapter webpage, it does say that it recognizes the printer and that it is online. is this the wrong adapter or am i doing it wrong. i also checked compatibility between the printer and the adapter but the seller (offered me a refund) told me that he had it working no problem with all kinds of printers... HELP!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Is there a PC(desktop) near the printer?

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. wabbitslayer

Thanks Received:
    Try installing the printer with a hard connection between it and the laptop. I hooked up a HP3380 AIO w/ a linksys wireless print server and had to do it like that. Of course, then I discovered that while I could wirelessly print through it, it still wouldn't fax or scan.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
    there is no desktop available. In the manual of the adapter it said "Do not install the printer through usb. Wait until prompted to do so". Then at the end when the adapter is configured with the network, it tells me to install the printer through the network. i think that is where i got confused. do i then install it through usb or through the wireless adapter...

10 Year Member at TPU