1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wireless router/adapter problem.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cybie1111, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Linksys WRT54G router which is 3 years old and have a Linksys WMP54G wireless adapter that I am using to connect to the Internet via wireless. I am currently having problems connecting to online games. Thinking that my router was the problem, I attempted to connect to another wireless network and join an online game. I was able to connect, but was having the same problems ( lag spikes and disconnects ) as my wireless network and it has about 40% less signal strength than my wireless signal. But here is the odd part... When I connected to my network again and joined the same game, the lag gets even worse than it was from the weaker signal and I was getting 98% signal strength. And 90% of the time, the game would eventually crash to the desktop when it attempts to connect to a server.

Internet browsers are also starting to be affected. Sometimes websites load normally. But from now and then, I would have to refresh the webpage because it is starting to take quite a long time to load a webpage which would of taken me a few seconds to load rather than a minute. There also some delays when webpages are loading and then the webpage would eventually load normally after a abnormal 5-10 second delay.

Would this be a sign for me to get a new router and wireless adapter? If so, what do you recommend?

I am willing to spend up to $150 USD for a router and wireless adapter from any brand.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't realy want wireless for gamming. Have you done a virus check lately?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    try hard resetting both modem and router.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hard and soft resets have not done anything to fix the problem. I also have my other system that is connected to the router by a wire and it works flawlessly. I have also checked the wireless signal that I get for Nintendo DS Wi-Fi. It has the same signal strength but has the same effects that I am getting when loading webpages.

The reason I am using a wireless connection is that I have no other alternatives. My system is clean and I just recently reformatted this system early January.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  7. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Also, I am not responsible if you put your router up to 10000 mW of power and it overheats. :D

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. coolbreeze New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wireless Adapter Problem

I am having the exact same problem as Cybie, with two exceptions: 1) My router is a Belkin and: 2) Mine will occaisionally work perfectly for a week or ten days and then start doing it again for any number of days or weeks. I need help......

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. gto78 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a wireless house phone base in the same room as your router and/or computer? Those wireless phones run lots of noise and sometimes cause interference.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Cybie1111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    After working on this router for a while, I believe that I have a defective wireless adapter. Well... This WMP54G is almost as old as this router, and I am also loving these reviews the people made at newegg about this. Its quite amusing at times reading some of these things.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. coolbreeze New Member

Thanks Received:
    gto78: I did have a 2.4 ghz wireless phone nearby but changed it for one with a 5,a ghz system as per the router manual. No difference in the performance of the router or adapter. Thanks for the reply.

10 Year Member at TPU