• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wireless USB Standard Dies

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
WiQuest Communications Inc. today went bankrupt, and thus unofficially announced that the work on the Wireless USB standard will stop permanently. The Allen, Texas, company employed about 120 people focused on the wireless USB protocol. WiQuest was shipping a two-chip wireless USB solution adopted as an optional add-on to notebooks from Dell, Lenovo and Toshiba as well as consumer devices such as hubs from Belkin, D-Link and others. According to the source of this story, WiQuest couldn't resolve the technical difficulties in bringing the wireless technology to the market. The whole wireless USB solution requires two chips instead of a single one to work, also the first generation wireless USB devices offered very limited transfer speeds. Another problem that was present during all the time were the power requirements set by the OEM adopters. After the little success of the first generation wireless USB standard, WiQuest was sampling a single chip device announced back in August, but this one won't make it to production now.
We've been looking for a variety of alternatives for awhile now including new investors and acquisitions, but none looked like positive alternatives to our investors so we decided to shut the doors today,
said Todd A. Brown, vice president of worldwide sales at the company.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Sorry to see them fail, but while wireless USB is a neat solution to solving cable issues, there is a competing product (blutooth) that we all hate and is plagued by security issues with hot-plug-and-play, and there is a BETTER product, which is to "connect" devices to a network, whether LAN or internet. Wireless ethernet is a better solution. It just means a BIGGER investment for the consumer (ie wireless AP), and a bigger investment for the product manufacturer (ie network accessable protocol). Nonetheless, network connectivity is the way to go. WHO wants a wireless USB printer attached to ONE DEVICE and not available to anyone else? To then use print sharing is just plain silly, requiring both computers on at the same time. And as offices are moving to hot desks, thin and think clients, and cloud computing, we need all devices connect to the LAN/server. Wireless USB doesnt do that and would give you nowhere to connect to!

So, sorry to see you go, but, IMO, you never had a product.

Sorry to see them fail, but while wireless USB is a neat solution to solving cable issues, there is a competing product (blutooth) that we all hate and is plagued by security issues with hot-plug-and-play, and there is a BETTER product, which is to "connect" devices to a network, whether LAN or internet. Wireless ethernet is a better solution. It just means a BIGGER investment for the consumer (ie wireless AP), and a bigger investment for the product manufacturer (ie network accessable protocol). Nonetheless, network connectivity is the way to go. WHO wants a wireless USB printer attached to ONE DEVICE and not available to anyone else? To then use print sharing is just plain silly, requiring both computers on at the same time. And as offices are moving to hot desks and cloud computing, we need all devices going to a server. Wireless USB doesnt do that.

So, sorry to see you go, but, IMO, you never had a product.

Indeed, wifi mouse, wifi keyboard, wifi coffee warmer, wifi minifan. Not all devices would fit in a network. Though agree many will, ie harddrives, printers, etc.
Your link to companies doesn't work though, wifi in't exactly the greatest thing for an office. Performance is crap, it's unreliable, not secure, etc. Of course, if the technology improves to be on par with wired networks on those points, which no doubt happens eventually, it's a great thing.

D

Deleted member 24505

Much better to have a printer with built in wi-fi.

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Indeed, wifi mouse, wifi keyboard, wifi coffee warmer, wifi minifan.
LOL.

Corporate wifi is fine for printers, PDAs, phones, etc. I do agree it is hopeless for data and internet networking. And security is an issue, agreed.

But really, what applications were there (sensible ones) for wireless USB that arent already covered by blutooth or arent better covered by wifi?

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I was thinking their main emphasis was more elimination of wires. Speakers, Mice, Keyboard, etc...

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
i have a Netgear wireless USB adaptor for one of the pcs that has no access to a wired connection and i find this little thing very useful, saved me the time of running a wire across half the house. Sorry to see them go.

System Name HAL_9017
Processor Intel i9 10850k
Motherboard Asus Prime z490-A
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory GSkill 32GB DDR4-3000 Trident-Z RGB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA 1080GTX FE w/ EVGA Hybrid Water Cooler
Storage Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD 500Gb
Display(s) Asus XG279
Case In Win 805i
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply CORSAIR RM750
Mouse Logitech Master 2s
Keyboard Keychron K4
Bluetooth???

Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
i have a Netgear wireless USB adaptor for one of the pcs that has no access to a wired connection and i find this little thing very useful, saved me the time of running a wire across half the house. Sorry to see them go.

A USB adapter with wifi is DIFFERENT from wireless USB. What you have is a wireless ethernet adapter as a USB dongle thingie, not "wireless USB"! Confusing, I know.

What these guys were doing was replacing the USB wire to your mouse, speakers, or keyboard by going "wireless USB". The only problem is that these devices need POWER. LOL. So you still need a cable. :nutkick:

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
A USB adapter with wifi is DIFFERENT from wireless USB. What you have is a wireless ethernet adapter as a USB dongle thingie, not "wireless USB"! Confusing, I know.

What these guys were doing was replacing the USB wire to your mouse, speakers, or keyboard by going "wireless USB". The only problem is that these devices need POWER. LOL. So you still need a cable. :nutkick:

ahhh, thnx!