• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Woops almost fried my X1900XTX with Fan setting

basset

Hi

I'm using the latest BETA build.

I tried to use the FAN control settings to tell ATI tool to keep the GPU temps under 80C. (set to override fan and keep the temp at a specific temp). I started up a 3D app and ran it a couple of minutes. Luckily I quit out to see what the temps are expecting it to be round 80C with the fan at maybe 100%.

To my surprise ATItool stated the GPU temp at 111C with the fan speed set to 6%

OOPS. It seems like a bug there ... luckily everything seems still ok ... phew.

For now the Beta disabled :)

Basset

SeeK

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 955
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800C9
Video Card(s) CF 2x Sapphire HD5850 Extreme
Storage Samsung SP2504C
Display(s) BenQ G2222HDL
Case CoolerMaster Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
When I play I usually lock the fan to 85%. Sounds like a jetfighter, but damn is that fan effective...

You sure those readings are correct? I mean, the fan is basicly not doing any work at all at 6%. Did you hear any fan? If the readings ARE correct, thank Akatosh, Arkay and all the divines that it didn't die. I've been told 90C is much for those suckers, 111... well...

basset

Hi

I confirmed the readings shortly after with CCC and yes .. the temps were coming down from in the 95+ ... I saw on tomshardware that they ran a test with the fan off .. well .. it went blank and they had to reboot when they started a 3D app but it didn't fry the GPU. I wonder if they implement a thermal protection cercuit ?? You would think that they have to ...

The constant setting work fine ... it is just the setting where you spec the temperature that seems broken ...

Well ...

I ran a couple of tests ... 3D mark etc. ... everything still seems fine ... touch wood..

Basset

Opty

Processor A64 4200+ x2 watercooled
Motherboard Abit KN8 Ultra
Cooling Water + 3x 120mm Fan Combo
Memory 2x Kingston HyperX DDR400
Video Card(s) Gecube ATI x1900xtx
Storage 80GB Western Digital 7200RPM
Display(s) 19" CRT
Case Aluminium Shark case
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS 7.1
Power Supply SilverStone 560watt
Software Windows XP Pro
basset said:
Hi

I'm using the latest BETA build.

I tried to use the FAN control settings to tell ATI tool to keep the GPU temps under 80C. (set to override fan and keep the temp at a specific temp). I started up a 3D app and ran it a couple of minutes. Luckily I quit out to see what the temps are expecting it to be round 80C with the fan at maybe 100%.

To my surprise ATItool stated the GPU temp at 111C with the fan speed set to 6%

OOPS. It seems like a bug there ... luckily everything seems still ok ... phew.

For now the Beta disabled :)

Basset

This happen to me to. It shut my fan off or slowed it right down while i was in playing DoD:S the other day. It sent my screen into an artifact frenzy with a fluro colour twist and then crashed my system. I rebooted to see the GPU temp was ridiculously high.

I won't be using ATITool again anytime soon and i think for your own good you shouldn't be either. Very disapointed. It might pay wizzard to look into the fan problems and fix them before he kills everyones card.

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
Opty said:
It might pay wizzard to look into the fan problems and fix them before he kills everyones card.

For starters, it's freeware, you use it at your own risk. Second, there's going to be bugs, it's a beta.

Why don't you try and be a little more constructive, and PM him about the problem, instead of sitting there bashing him.

-Dan

Opty

Display(s) 19" CRT
Software Windows XP Pro
Dan, I'm not bashing anyone. I do understand there will be bugs but ATITool has had fan control for ages. How can it still have bugs after all this time?. Gees the main point of this tool is overclocking and fan control. There is no point being able to overclock your card if the bloody fan control isn't going to work, is it?.

I was only stating that wizzard should look into fixing these with more priority that is all.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
You have no idea how busy w1z is. Believe me when i say atitool is his main priority. If you think you can make a better ATI overclocking tool, do it. As mentioned many times, there are ways to work around the current problems, if your not willing to use them, unintall ATITool, run your card at stock, and stop complaining.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Opty said:
Dan, I'm not bashing anyone. I do understand there will be bugs but ATITool has had fan control for ages. How can it still have bugs after all this time?. Gees the main point of this tool is overclocking and fan control. There is no point being able to overclock your card if the bloody fan control isn't going to work, is it?.

I was only stating that wizzard should look into fixing these with more priority that is all.

Opty ... it's a combination of things that cause the issues you speak of ... some are using profiles and to a certain extend it's the way the cat drivers have evolved as well ... I use and have been using ATItool for sometime and have not experienced the fan issues that some people seem to have... maybe a list or description of how you had ATItool setup, your model vid card and possibly the temp chip number .. if you guys would take the time to create a list or give W1zz some better feed back instead of posts that generate nothing good, some issues would be resolved some what quicker..

Opty

Display(s) 19" CRT
Software Windows XP Pro
I only ever used Fan control and Temp monitoring on the card i have atm Urlyin. Had the temp monitor set to every second and fan control set to dynamic starting @ 50% @ idle and set to work it's way up to 100% @ 65 Degrees.

It was set to run at startup via reg key and that's about it.

KennyT772

System Name Raptor
Processor Intel E8400 Wolfdale @3600
Motherboard Asus P5Q-Pro LGA775
Cooling Zalman CNPS9700
Memory 1024mbx2 Crucial Ballistix DDR800
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT
Storage Seagate 7200.11 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216Wbd and Acer AL1717
Case Gigabyte 3DAurora Black
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Faitality
Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 500w
opty its not your setup that makes it hard to code its the way atitool itself works. if ur using a beta it will be buggy, thats a givin. if you are not on a x1x00 card then you should only use .24 as is and if the temp monitor is broken in there then oh well...

Casheti

Well, I have an MSI Radeon X1300 PRO 256MB graphics card and let me tell you, ATiTool dont work for ****. The clock and memory speeds all read 0.00 and whenever I put find max mem clock or max core clock the screen goes all wierd and I cant click on anything, so I have to press the power button to turn off my PC.

Processor Intel I7 2600k@ 4.5
Motherboard Gigabyte p67 ud4 b3
Cooling AC Cuplex kryos Hf
Memory 8096 Exceleram 1600@ 1333 Cl9 1.35v
Video Card(s) Palit Gtx570@950/1900@1.063v
Storage Ocz Vertex 3 120gb, 2tb Seagate 7200rpm s-ata3
Display(s) Asus 24inch Lcd
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi with Teufel Magnum Power Edition
Power Supply Coolermaster 700W Silent Pro Gold
Software Linux?^^ ;P Windows 7 64bit
i know that fan speed adjustement with x19xt cards is working very well -.-

beside that i guess u have the wrong settings applied

that is probably the best settings

Casheti

Well....That doesn't actually help. And I cannot adjust my fan speed. I need help for my problem at the top. I need to overclock. X1300 is "supported" it says on the website blog on google. So why the hell cant I overclock? Did you not hear? ALL my speeds say 0.00.

And By The Way, 8% is extremely slow for a fan, Why not just keep it at 100% for maximum quality and performance, even if it does sound like a jet fighter took off inside your computer. I would if i could, but all fan settings are greyed out.

abe2000

I have the same problem with my 1900XT (flashed to XTX).

Very rarely (this is the second time in a few months) when I alt-tab out of WoW the fanspeed goes up to 100% and stays there! Sounds like a vacuum cleaner, I dont want that.

Last time it happened, I tried to change the speed in ATITool, but then it went down to 0%!!

I got pretty scared and turned off my computer as fast as i could. After that I had some problems booting up (A8R32 isnt perfect).

Yeah.. That's pretty dangerous.

Another problem I have.. As I have the card flashed to a XTX, the card gets too hot in games using lots of shaders and stuff. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is one example, if I have everything maxed out it only takes a few minutes before the card is up in 93-95C and it starts showing lots of artifacts. This is fixed by just tabbing out of the game a few seconds.

My record is 95.8C on the GPU and 100C on the voltage regulator. When it's that hot the fan is only at 60%. Works in most games.. but for those that dont work I wanna change the fanspeed to atleast 80%.

So please, fix the fanspeed problem. :)

/abe