• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Workblog] Al-CONH Desk

Hello!

Let me introduce my new mod, a deskmod made of wood (pine), with two watercooling loops, nickel plated copper tubes mixed with acrylic tubes, and some aluminium touch.
Al-CONH refers to atoms of aluminium and wood, which is mainly made of carbon, oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen (wikipedia says it...).

This project is supported by EKWB and Gamers Industry.

I would like to thanks EKWB for trusting me again, especially Atila for his time!
I also thanks Gamers Industry for their help (it's a french retailler for MDPC-X, but also Singularity Computers and soon Bitspower).

Here is the concept :

The structure is really classic, two chambers, the main one for the MB/GPU/PSU, some radiators and pumps, and the other one to hide the tubbing, put some more radiators, a more technical chamber.

Now, the hardware :

• AMD R7 1700X
  • Asus Crosshair Extreme VI
  • Asus 1080ti Strix OC
  • 4*8Go Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM 2666MHz
  • Corsair RM650
  • Corsair MP500 120Go
  • Crucial MX200 500Go
  • Corsair lighning node pro
  • Cooler Master Riser

And the cooling :

• WB CPU : Monoblock C6H
  • WB GPU : Full cover 1080ti Strix acrylic/nickel
  • Rad : EK- XE480 2* EK-PE360 and EK- XE240
  • Fittings : EK-HDC 12mm (nickel/black)
  • Pump : two D5
  • Watertank : EK-X3 40cm
  • Fans : EK-Vardar RGB, Corsair HD120
  • Flowmeters : home made

Sleeveing :

• MDPC-X sleeve and connectors

I'm close to the end of the big wood work (the desk is nearly done), i'll soon make a big post one the wood job.
It was new for me, but really interesting, i'm now planning to do a lot of custom furniture (my wife will be happy).
See you soon.

Hello,

I've been a bit long to do this post, lot of work, but here I am !

So here is the big post on the wood work i've done so far (main part is done, i've got few things to finish).

First of all, DISCLAIMER : this is the first time i'm using wood, so i'll tell you my feelings, the things i've done that were crap, the things i do that were fine ect... I'm not a pro!
And of course, always think safety!! Be carefull, further more while using electrical tools.

To realise this work i used :

• A plunging router (mine was a Bosch)
  • A router bit set
  • A Jigsaw
  • A drill machine
  • A set of guides (iron bars)
  • A set of clamps (i really like the ratchet bar clamps)
  • A Pocket Hole Woodjoining Jig Kit (Wolfcraft for mine)

I think that those tools are a very good start to make furnitures (the last one is not really mandatory, but helps a lot).

I could have add a circular saw, but i do not own one, so i did my best without it.

Of course, i made a sketch to get the pattern of the differents parts.

Now, to realise those parts, the first thing is to put your wood piece to the good size.

The best way to do that, is to have a circular saw, this tool does really nice cuts... But as said before, i don't have this thing, so.....

What i've done, is getting close to the good measure with a jigsaw (horrible cut here, i do not use guide)

And then i place a guide and i use the router to get the final size.
To place the guide, you have to know the distance beetween the center of rotation of the drill and the flat side of the router, then substract the half of diameter of the router bit, and you have the distance beetween your final measure and your guide.

Don't forget to clamp your wood piece AND your guide, it should not move, i used at least 4 clamps each time, sometimes 6 to be sure everything won't move.

If it moves, you can easily ruin your job and have to restart!

After that, i choosed a router bit long enought, then move your router against the rotation of the bit (using your guide).

Now you have a perfect shape cut, with precise size (i'm at less than a millimeter on each parts). And...

TONS OF WOOD SHIPS AND DUST!

So yes, you need to work in a adapted place.

After that, i used exactly the same technic for each cuts.

When doing polygonial holes, to get a nice finish you have to watch carefully where you stop/begin using the router.

There is also bits with rollers, i used them to shape borders, to chamfer or make borders round. It's really easy to do, and the result is awesome (this is clearly my favorite moment).

To mount each part, is used the woodjoining jig kit, wich allow you to make a hole with a angle in your wood, so you can use a screw to fix two parts together. It's easy to use, i highly recommend it!

I'll just detail a bit the work done of the top of the desk, wich is the hardest part i had to do.

I would like to have a hole for the glass panel (logic....) and i wanted it to be supported all around by a groove AND by reinforcement at the 4 corners, all of that in the same wood piece.

So i first i used jigsaw to make the main hole, make the good size/good finish with router, as always.

Then, at the reinforcement place, i used the router to remove 10mm (the glass thickness).

After, i did the holes in the corners, the groove everywhere.

Doing the things in the right order is really important, if i had done the holes in the corners, i would not have been able to properly remove the 10mm on the reinforcements, as there would have been no more wood to support the router.

Always think twice, make the moves in you head, is it possible, is it painfull ? You often can find a way to make it better/easier !

Now here is the result !

Better picts soon

I’m really happy, and now, I’m working on the watercooling part (wich means also a bit of wood work to make everything fit well).

A little tease :

Bye, thanks for passing by!

System Name I have too many to fit here. (PC / PS4 / PS3 / PS2 / XBOX 360)
Processor 7740x @ 5ghz 1.3v delidded / 6600k 4.5ghz 1.25v/x5650
Motherboard X299 gaming carbon / Z270X gaming 7/Clevo x7200
Cooling Silent loop 280mm / alphacool eisbaer 360mm/Stock
Memory 32gb ddr4 corsair vengance lpx / None yet/4gb ddr3 1333mhz
Video Card(s) Evga gtx 1080 ti ftw3 @ stock / asus 560 ti 1gb/ 460M sli
Storage kingston ssdnow uv400 480gb ssd (os) toshiba x300 6tb (everything else)/ 2tb barracuda/750gb
Display(s) ElectriQ 4k 28" TN 60hz + KG221Q 21.5" 1080p 75hz freesync/1080p 17.3"
Case Be quiet! Dark base 700/Lego pc case/clevo x7200
Audio Device(s) Hyper x cloud revolver s
Power Supply Seasonic snow silent 750w/Be quiet power pro 11 750w
Mouse Mad Catz Rat Pro X
Keyboard Havit gaming keyboard (amazon keyboard+mouse bundle)
Software Windows 10 pro + Kali linux
Benchmark Scores Too many to fit here.