• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Workblog] Project Reversed Gaming Build by JejeLaPelle

Hello here!

Let me introduce you my new build : Reversed Gaming Build!

First of all, I want to thanks a lot my sponsors, without their support, this project would not have been possible.

As you can guess, maybe there will be a third one soon :biggrin:

I used to always begin my workblogs by a 3D render, but here, i want to keep secret of the final design... BUT here is a teaser :

Without spoiling that more, just to describe the general idea, this will ba a (big) tower form factor scratch build. The motherboard will be reversed (captain OBVIOUS!), there will be a lot a milled acrylic aaaaannnnnddd, there will be RGB lightning.

I have one big aim with this build. I want people who hate RGB lightning to watch this mod and say : "well, it's not that 'LSD flaming unicorn style'..."

Now, let's list the hardware :
  • Motherboard : Asus Crosshair Extreme VI
  • Processor : AMD R7 1700X
  • Graphic Card : Asus 1080ti STRIX OC
  • Memory : Corsair VENGEANCE RGB 32GB (4*8GB) 2666MHz
  • PSU : Corsair RM650x
  • SSD : Corsair MP500 120Go
  • Fans : Corsair HD120 RGB
  • Lightning kit : Corsair Lightning Node pro

For the watercooling parts, it's will be a full EKWB build :
  • WB CPU : Monoblock Asus C6H
  • WB GPU : EK FC1080 GTX ti Strix Nickel
  • Rad : EK- XE480 and PE360
  • Fittings : EK-HDC 12mm (white/nickel/black)
  • Pump : EK-XTOP Dual DDC 3.2 PWM
  • Watertank : home made

And now, pictures of the 10kg+ acrylic plate (20mm) and the small sheet of 2mm aluminium which will be used for this build.

See you soon, thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung 49" Ultrawide Gaming Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply ASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W
Software Windows 11 64 Bit Home Edition

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Lets see the wip

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
look at post ... see Ryzen ... see "reversed"

sub'd

Hello,

I'm really happy to see such enthusiasm!

Aluminium work will begin very soon (next week)... I want to make sure of the hardware (MB/GPU) to begin the acrylic milling (Not on CNC, on manual milling machine).

Hello!

The job on aluminium is on it's way, and today i will introduce you one of the main tool for the case building : a sheet metal guillotine!

The interest of such a tool, is to do perfects cuts. Depending of the model, you can be limited by thickness and width. In my case, 2mm aluminium is a maximum, and 600mm width (all the case is designed with those limitations).

Here is the beast :

You can block your sheet with this thing :

So you can do precises and parallels cuts.
Then you just have to let the blade do its job!

I will proceed like that for all my jobs with aluminium, but sometimes, i will also bend it.
After getting my alumium plate, i drilled ATX pattern for the motherboard, and here is the mobo tray (with OP hardware!).

That's not a big step forward, but i'm still waiting for the answer of my last sponsor... And i worked a lot on 3D sketches to be printed, i hope to show you this next week!

Thanks for passing by!

Hello!

Today i will introduce my PSU box!

This box is design to receive the PSU (CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!), support a 2.5 SSD and hide some cables.
This is made of some aluminium plates :

PSU fit well inside :

And for the last side of the box, i've cut a Corsair logo in a 5mm acrylic sheet :

I did some ventilation holes :

I removed cover on the acrylic to sand around the logo, make a BIG hole for cable (i will put a well designed aluminium sheet later).

Almost finished :

I need to sand a bit more in the ventilation holes, maybe i won't keep the two holes in the angles, hidding them with aluminium sheet.

Thanks for reading, see you.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Hello,

Look what i did today!

You may have noticed that i completly failed on the lower left corner... I think i will fix it with resin.

I didn't do the 3D models i wanted to... But here is what i've already done :

A 10cm wide Corsair logo for PSU box :

Small EKWB and Corsair logos (13mm for the EKWB model) :

And a small clue on the brand of the motherboard.... A 120mm fan grill :

Small clue...

BUT i do not have any news about sponsorsing!

Hello!

My piece of acrylic is almost done !

I did a leak test... Without seals.... And believe me or not, but there is leaks!

Btw it gives an idea of aestetic :

You may have noticed that side of acrylic piece are more transparent than they were.
I've used a nice method to get a really clear look, i will call it :

PURIFIED BY FIRE

It's quite easy, I just used a blowpipe (with orange/yellow flame) and heat the side of the acrylic.

I've done some photo before and after, but it's a bit ugly :

Now, i will have to prepare the others acrylic pieces (just mill them to the good size, channels will be done on an other milling machine later).

Next update in two weeks!

Hello!

I didn't worked on the acrylic pieces, because the milling machine i can't use those day, is not as precise as the one i use for the first piece. So i will wait my friend to make the pieces in good conditions.

But i worked on aluminium sheets!

Aaaaaaannnnnnd I failed ...

So i will show you how i fixed the problem!

Here, the problem :

You can see that the upper right side is not cut as the lower left one...

So i use green stuff (kind of resin use for modelism):

I fixed a plate behind the hole i want to fill (so it will be well flat). I put the green stuff and use a plate to smooth the surface (always use water to manipulate the resin, if you don't, it will stick to your tools).
So i get that.

And after cutting and a small sanding :

I need to wait a bit more finish sanding.

I also cut another aluminium sheet with a 480 radiator pattern (I'm the guy saying 'hi') :

Here no sanding done right now...

I also received my parcels from Corsair!

So soon, UNBOXING!!!!!!!!

Hello!

I will present you the hardware from Corsair i've just received.

Again, huge thanks to Corsair for their support! Your products are amazing !!

First, a family picture :

And now, a closer look one each part!

The RM650x and its sleeved cables :

There is a LOT of cables in the sleeved set :

And they look awesome :

The MP500 :

I will add a heatsink on it from Hydrid Cooling soon !

The Vengeance RGB RAM set :

Just wow... sober, the Corsair logo on the top.... really loved them

HD120 and Lightning node pro coming soon!

Hello again!

Let's speek about lightning!

HD 120 :

And the fans :

Even without illumination, HD120 are GORGEOUS... They completly match with the mod!

Lighning Node Pro :

Here is what you get :

4 LED strips (with magnet AND stickers to fix it), extension cables for the LED strips, the node, a cable to control it by USB (HE connector), and two cables to replace the remot control for the fans controller (only for the lightning part).

So i DL Corsair Link, plug everything, and here it is (LED strips are fixed with their magnets on a side panel :

This is probably what the RGB haters hate!

LED strips have their LED adressed, so if you are using the wave rainbow mod (this one, but it's moving) depending of how you put the strips you can have this :

But it's easy to change that with Corsair link, you just have to change the direction of the effect! You can also copy your effect on other strips/fans!
This is really friendly user, and in no time, you will be able to make the effects you want.
Here is some exemples :

White==>Black with lag beetween devices

Fixed gradient of blue :

Two fixed colors :

Even if it's not that clear on my pictures, the white is really white!

Using those two things, you can light up your PC really the way you want!
Another great exemple is to use color to know the temperature of a device, with Corsair Link, you can make your fans/LED strips to change color depending of CPU temp (core by core or global), but also GPU, MB, SSD/HDD...

Now, a word on the HD120 as fan (yes, this is not only a round LED strip), they are really quiet, and even at full their noise is pleasant (low-pitched sound). And the airflow is impressive (good pressure, even if i only mesure it with a sheet of paper....but as i did that with a lot of different fans, i can have an idea!)!

So what's next...

A part of the acrylic job will be done next week (watertank), some 3D printing, seal mainly, also.
This week i'll work on some 3D sketch, for cable management mainly.
I will probably cut the 360mm rad support, but i'll only complete it next week.
Late this week i'll show more about the project, and why i decided to make it!

Thanks for reading!

Hello,

I will be a bit late, the 3D printer does not print, so i'm trying to fix it...

But, today, i'll reveal a bit more about the project!

First, my actual setup :

I really like it, the desk is big (2m), so we can play/surf together, and open air is fine because i can (and do...) clean it really easily!

But as we planned to get a baby, a bit more place for him/her, would be nice! That was the start of the reflexion... And now, my wife is pregnant (2 months) and i need to hurry a bit to finish my mod, as i have a bed and some others piece of furniture!

So i have a new desk i get from my grand father, it was a kind of deskcomputer, but in the 60s, so i've have a bit of work on it (pitures will come lateeeeerr).

And here is the RGB project in 3D :

Some things are gonna change, like the water tank in the front that will be in two parts, but it gives a good idea!

I still don't have answer from my last sponsor request, so i'm planning to buy the hardware early of september.

Thanks for reading!

Hello!

I've done a lot on the watertank parts :

Here, i did not use the flame polish yet.

I also printed the seals, with translucid filaflex, here they are, in place :

They are barely invisible, i got a leak on one of them (left one) i will try to fix it, or i will print an other one!

I also did some standart 3D printing :

More next week!

Hello!

I'm finishing the water tank (40 holes left to tap), for the leak test, i will wait for the screws i've ordered!

I took picture of the water tank piece, before and after flame polish :
Before :

After :

I also worked on my 3D printed fan grill :

Painted them with aerograph, still some little things to do, but that's the way they will look.

The "logoz'grillz" will be on the 480 rad, while the next ones will be on the 360 (at the bottom) :

Here i just put one layer of primer, i try new kind of spraypaint, it was horrible... So i'm going back to my warhammer primer!

Now, a small tip to go from your sketchs on Google Sketchup to 3D printed models.

Usually, 3Dprinter need .STL, and sketchup can't export in this extension, so i export in .DAE, i open this file in FreeCAD (check if everything look fine), then export it again in .STL (check again) and to finish, repair this STL file on the net (some site allow you to upload your file and get it back, repaired), and to finsih, check again in FreeCAD if the piece still look like the original one!

If needed, i can do a more precise post for that, with pictures ect...

See you, thanks for reading!

Hi!

I've updated my first post, so the hardware is known! We will talk about those choices later.

When I will get hardware and blocks, I will be able to do the acrylic pieces missing, and do the cables holes. Thanks to that, the case should take shape!

Those days, i did leak test with my printed seals.

Big spoiler, it works really fine.

First, i've ordered screws for the project, with BTR head, because i love this shape :

So FHC for the acrylic parts near the motherboard, and BHC for the externals part (watertank and upper part).

Here are the watertank part, with screws and seals :

I won't lie, I'm really happy with the result!

I also add the metal part i wanted on my PSU box, it will be painted soon.

And I printed some little things :

Guess what it is!

Hello.

Here is the 360mm radiator support :

You might see the 3D printed brand's name are glued in the aluminum sheet, i'll will add green stuff to fill the holes, and then, big sanding session.

I'd troubles bending this plate, my first attempts were a complete disaster... But i wisely cut my sheet of aluminium, and so i had about 10cm more than needed, so i cut the bad folding, and do the brand's holes on the other side of the 120mm holes.

I've just changed by 2mm the distance beetween the holes and the folding, and it worked!

Thanks for reading!

Next week, i will show you some painting work, on RGB fan grill and PSU Box!

Hello!

Great week, paint a bit, got my MB and GPU, and I've begin the mod of the MB!

Fan grills painted :

For the cable pass throught, i've tried a lot of things, but so far, I'm not happy with the result :

I will try other things.

Now, the hardware!

The graphic card is big, thick, and looks really fine!
I won't do a lot of modification on it, except keep the backplate with the EKWB block, and i will TRY to use the LEDs of the rad, in order to mount it on the waterblock.

The mobo :

And the first thing i'm gonna change :

I'm gonna flip this logo.

I remove the aluminium plate (fix with tape i think) :

Cut a small piece of acrylic to go in the hole of the chipset :

Print a plate with a reversed logo, and that's it (3D printed plate is painted in black here) :

It will be paint like the other parts.

Hope you liked it.

See you!

Hello,

I 've tested the hardware, so first, i placed the MP500 :

I also put the 24 pins pass trought, and my painted plate for chipset :

And after pluging everything, here it is :

It's working fine, just a word on the memory, it's 2666MHz sticks, i just put 2933MHz threw BIOS, and it's seems to be fine, maybe i will try to go higher (i'm not a clocker at all, so i've got to learn a lot).

See you!

Last edited:
Hello,

A small update, just to show you what i receive today :

Thanks a lot, EKWB, i was really jumping like a kid (hey bro, you're still a kid in your head! - No, LIAR! - Really? -NANANANANAAN CAN'T HERE YOU).

I already do one or two small things...

First, i tried to drill and tap the rad, to go from 6-32 to M4, for a simple reason, as HD120 are 28mm (to be confirmed) thick + 2mm of aluminium + 2mm of fan grill, 30mm screws are too short. M3 could have fit, but there is not a lot of BHC M3*40, so i decided to go M4*40 BHC.

I also remove that :

And put another thing instead.

But i will show you that later, I'm going for a few days!

At my return, unboxing!!!

Hello,

Back to work, after some days in Greece!

So, we are going to talk about cool things, or things that cool, as you want.

Here they are :

Thanks EKWB, this is really awesome products!

Today i'll show you the blocks, and the work i've already done.

First, the monoblock for the Asus X370 hero/extreme

And on his MB :

Yet, i only return the EK badge, you can remove it like that :

WITH A BIG CUTTER IN DA FACE

Later, i'll replace (or modify, don't know yet) le "crosshair plate".

Now, the GPU WB, i teased a small thing before leaving, as you might guess, i replaced the metal plate from the block, with an acrylic sheet... Bwa, replaced everything that was not plexy for plexy.... execpt the block!

I'll have to do the "around the G1/4" piece again, i used old acrylic, and during flame polish, bubbles appears... So i'll use new acrylic, and plolish it by hand.

Small thing i did'nt mentioned yet... You see that the Vengeance RGB Ram are really awesome... BUT, there is something i like about it!, you can remove the top (with the little Corsair Logo) and so, change his direction. That is really usefull for plateform like X399 and X299!

What's next? Early next week, milling of the bottom acrylic plate, the cutting of aluminium sheet, bending right after, and so i'll have the skeleton of the case!

PS : Do i take pictures of the milling process?

Currently somewhere around NSW, Australia
System Name hmmm... / lappy (ASUS Scar III)
Processor Intel Core i7-8086K / Intel Core i7-9750H
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Formula / ASUS G531GW
Cooling Noctua NH-D15s w/ 2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax and 1 x Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax Fans / Stock
Memory 4x16gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600mhz / 2x16gb Kingston Hyper X Impact DDR4 2666mhz C15
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 / Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
Storage 2 x Samsung 960 EVO Plus 1tb NVME/ 1tb Intel SSDPEKNW010T8 NVME + 2tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34P / ASUS 15.6" Screen
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 White-TG + Noctua Chromax Fans / ASUS Scar III Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Logitech Z623 / Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W + PROLINK PRO903WS / ASUS ADP-230GB B Power Brick
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB / Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB / ASUS Scar III Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 / Windows 10 Professional x64
Awesome job!