1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Workstation CPU naming

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by T4C Fantasy, Jun 16, 2017.

1. T4C Fantasy

T4C Fantasy CPU & GPU DB Maintainer

Thanks Received:
    Intel and AMD both suck when naming their workstation CPU Line the numbers specifically, they need to make them more like desktop, sockets can be
    2610S-1 2610S-2 2610S-4 no need for a 4k series etc
    then v2 v3 w/e

and amd starting with 7000 series and not 1000 using same socket method S-1

i gave up doing workstation naming and organization in the CPU database, i hope they get their act together.

and all the different code names for ultra mobile and mobile and variants.

needing sub sections for cpus is retarded, same for mobile market L H HQ HE E UH.
    have all ultra low cpus 7700 to 7710 increments 02 04 06 or 1 2 3 4, 7711 to 7720 low power.
    the reason the gpu database is so great and organized is because it makes sense
    *most of the time*

also i do know its all marketing

but if things made sense, people wouldn't stray away or get ripped off

GPU Database

that's my rant, after having many panic/anxiety attacks not being able to organize the CPU database, i'm devastated because i used to love doing it

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Jizzler, Caring1, R-T-B and 1 other person say thanks.
  2. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    I'd think it would be easier to have a generation, core/thread count, clockspeed naming rank system.

Like a 4790k would be 4th gen, 4/8/4.0 for 4c,8t and 4.0ghz

3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    The naming doesn't bother me, it's their propensity to sit on stagnant architecture (Intel), and botch their launch with secrecy (AMD). I really don't see very good options with AMD or Intel lately. You'd think the better competition Ryzen resulted in would yield a better scenario. By the time you shell out for high speed RAM and a MB that supports it, or buy into 2066 and Intel's crappy MVNe drives, it's like you're back to square one with pricing and complexity.

The CPU names are inconsequential by comparison.