1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Workstation power supply question for a consumer board please help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stoggs1, Mar 19, 2017.

1. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    Ok guys I am in the middle of a build and I have ran into a big problem. The eight pin power connector on my power supply will not reach the 8 pin connector on my motherboard its to short and the psu mounts at the bottom of the case and the 8 pin is at the top of the board.

Now the psu is a workstation psu and has a 6 pin power connector that is labeled power 2.

Can i safely use it to power the board? Thank you.

2. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    rtwjunkie and stinger608 say thanks.
  3. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    Yes is that psu, it has pci-e 16x connectors, but it also has 2 motherboard power connectors, one is 8 pin, the other is 6, there both labeled and there is both an 8 and 6 pin power connector on my workstation pcs motherboard i believe its due to the fact its a dual cpu board.

I have two identical 800 watt workstation psus that have the same connectors and the 8 pin is to short on both psis and I wanted to use one with my new build so i could save some cash.

Well anyways would it be safe to use that 6 pin even if its just temporarily until i buy that adapter you showed me or just buy a new psu?

Thanks.

4. Caring1

Caring1

Thanks Received:
    If it is only temporary, sit the PSU on top of the Case until the extension arrives, then mount it inside.

stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    Make a picture of the 6-pin connector.
    If it looks like this, then it won't work without some modifications.
    [​IMG]

stinger608 says thanks.
  6. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah its pretty much the same as the one in that picture and what mods are you talking about? Also it says pwr2 or the plug.

7. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    There are 2 additional wires on that connector. One is -12V, another one is +5VSB (I think).
    You may try to cut those or use a flat pin extractor tool to remove both (and isolate with electrical tape or heatshrink), and only leave +12V and GND(black and yellow).
    Then you plug it into the leftmost side of the 8-pin connector, like you do with a 4-pin ATX connector.

Or use the same tool to transfer yellow and black wires into 4-pin housing, if the 6-pin plug does not fit into 8-pin socket.

I'd say, a simple 8-pin EPS12V extender is your best and by far the easiest option. I wouldn't mess with that 6-pin, if you don't know what you are doing.

8. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    I can remember hearing in the past people not even plugging the cpu power in, but I don't know What would happen in your situation . I'm guessing it would either not Power on, or it would.

Kinda curious tho ;)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  9. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    I tried it wont power on, i will have to wait until i get an extension adapter i have an older case i can,put it in for now.

10. OneCool

OneCool

Thanks Received:
    If you can't wait for the dongle.

Only one way. That's cut and add wire to existing wire to make it longer.

I have done it in the past and it works but I don't recommend it.

stinger608 says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    Well i just realized something, i plugged the power switch wires incorrectly into the board, i will switch them around and see what happens, hopefully it works. Will,update later.

12. silentbogo

silentbogo

Thanks Received:
    It makes no difference which way you plug in the switch. The PC won't start because either PSU is going in protection mode, or the board sees abnormal voltages.
    BTW , it won't boot without CPU power.

13. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    So I am assuming there is no way to make it work. I guess I will have to use the other case for now since the psu is top mounted and will reach the port. I may buy another psu then or an 8 pin adapter but I do have a question.

I already had to buy a 24 pin adapter for the very same reason, if have to use both adapters can that affect the psu's ability to provide clean, stable power to the motherboard? If so I'd rather just a buy another psu.

14. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Resistance is very minute, i could understand if pins are not fully in contact or connections are dirty. I tend to look for adapters with larger wire guages to reduce overall resistance

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    System is working fine with the old case, kind of sucks I really wanted to use my new case but once I get an adapter and a day off work I will be able to transfer everything over, now one last question.

I don't have all the hdd mounting brackets for this old so I currently only have one hdd in the system but I have 2 drives I want to use, can I add my second drive when I transfer all my parts over without having to reinstall windows?

I'm running windows 10 64 bit pro

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  16. eidairaman1

eidairaman1 The Exiled Airman

Thanks Received:
    Since the os is on the one drive already leave that alone, now if you want to add another drive you need to use disk management.
    This should help
    https://www.google.com/search?clien...uYbyvSWo#scso=uid_WNAOWwAEdKkKYw4BNAtLog_1:22

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. stoggs1

Thanks Received:
    Ok thanks