• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

World’s strongest magnet

I don't even know how to describe how awesome this is. A magnet of this scale has real potential in the materials science field. It assuredly has other, more niche, uses; the really valuable part is research.

As far as some of the other comments, I have to question the logic. I apologize for anything offensive in advance, but from what I am reading these people miss the future potential because they cannot look past the immediate needs that they perceive.

This crap pisses me off. How about spending 2.5m towards something useful like an electric vehicle infrastructure that could be of benefit NOW rather then "hopes" that "one day" "some thing" may lead to the development of "some other thing"? Their making crap just to make crap. Bet he drives a nice car with those government grants. At least he can afford the gas. :)

You confuse research, with throwing money at what you believe is reasonable. While I understand the altruistic desire to remove gasoline from the power grid, 2.5 million dollars wouldn't even be enough for a small city. The research that these people do could possibly lead to new battery making techniques, which will make your new electric car actually feasible.

Bemoaning spending 2.5 million on actually viable research hardware, when we spend that much daily on stupid farming subsidies (spend 5 minutes to look it up; in order to maintain prices the government pays farmers to let land lay fallow).

Shit, they could have just given that 2.5m to charity and stuff or other sensible/practical stuff. Whats the use for this magnet anyway? Just for show? Next weapon of mass destruction?

Altruism is a nice goal, but you really draw the line in the sand at an odd place there. By your logic owning a computer while there are starving people is a sin, your income beyond the bare minimums of survival should be donated to charity.

While abrasive, my statement is true. If you look back in history the greatest inventions were brought about by research and capital investment; the inventions then increased the standard of living by providing both easier lives and a steady source of employment (look at the television, automobile, and airplane). These things could never have been developed without research. Those people without vision see a 2.5 million dollar waste, those with vision see 2.5 million dollars that will yield billions in end user products.

Perhaps a less myopic view is a necessity? Even blunting the potential possibility with reality, you must recognize that this research will pay for itself. Perhaps the next time you get an MRI (NMRI to those unafraid of proper terms) you will concede the value of extremely powerful magnets.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Next weapon of mass destruction?

Haven't you read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons ?

The magnet won't have a practical use in it self, it'll mostly be used in studies and researches that will hopefully yield results that can benefit humanity in any ways. More efficient electric motors ? maybe even vehicles that move by altering earth gravity on them !

specks

System Name Spreadsheet powerhouse
Processor Two P4s glued together
Motherboard Asus P5KPL-AM EPU
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper TX3
Memory 2gb (2x1gb) Kingston Value Ram DDR2 800mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4670 1gb GDDR3 w/ Arctic Cooling Accelero L7
Storage 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
Display(s) Philips 191EL 18.5"
Case Thermaltake V4 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 600W
Software WinXp

The magnet won't have a practical use in it self, it'll mostly be used in studies and researches that will hopefully yield results that can benefit humanity in any ways. More efficient electric motors ? maybe even vehicles that move by altering earth gravity on them !

Guess not.

Lets hops it pays off.

Humans aren't magnetic, are they?

No we are not magnetic. You must mean "attracted to magnet" and the answer is still no but somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:
No we are not magnetic. You must mean "attracted to magnet" and the answer is still no but somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

~RAGE~

Perhaps reading the other comments might lead to a little bit more insight:
They could levitate frogs and grasshoppers in that thing.

Diamagnetic levitation can be used to levitate very light pieces of pyrolytic graphite or bismuth above a moderately strong permanent magnet. As water is predominantly diamagnetic, this technique has been used to levitate water droplets and even live animals, such as a grasshopper, frog and a mouse. However, the magnetic fields required for this are very high, typically in the range of 16 teslas, and therefore create significant problems if ferromagnetic materials are nearby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation

Human beings are mostly water. While there is hemoglobin in the blood, we are mostly a diamagnetic polar molecule (H2O). This means that we could, given a supremely powerful magnet, be levitated.

Iron in the human body is generally bonded with oxygen in a hemoglobin molecule. This means it plays little role in magnetic interactions. To put this in perspective, MRIs would not work if we had copious amounts of unbonded iron in our blood. The comment about Magneto sucking iron out of you, through strong magnetic fields, would be a painfully appropriate analogy.

Processor i7 2600k@4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI z68ma-ed55
Cooling Silentx Extreem 120mm
Memory 2x4gb XMS 7-8-7-20 1600
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Display(s) Soyo 24", Gateway 22"
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini 6x120mm fans.
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
You confuse research, with throwing money at what you believe is reasonable. While I understand the altruistic desire to remove gasoline from the power grid, 2.5 million dollars wouldn't even be enough for a small city.

That's the "why bother" attitude holding us back. This is one project. Billions are spent on funding private "research projects". Do they have a goal in mind? Which is why I said "hopes" that "one day" "some thing" may lead to the development of "some other thing". We're spending WAY too much money on hopes and dreams then we are on solving real problems.

I should ask them for a few million in grant money so I can build the worlds largest fan in hopes that one day it will blow away humanities problems. :rolleyes:

I should ask them for a few million in grant money so I can build the worlds largest fan in hopes that one day it will blow away humanities problems. :rolleyes:

DON'T YOU SEE THE IMMENSE IMPORTANCE OF FURTHER MAGNETIC RESEARCH IN REGARDS TO YOUR BRILLIANT IDEA FOR THE ENORMOUS FAN THAT MAY(and I'd say "WILL") ONCE AND FOR ALL BLOW AWAY ALL OUR ETERNAL CONFLICTION???

...Think about it. Support the grants.

specks

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software WinXp
Altruism is a nice goal, but you really draw the line in the sand at an odd place there. By your logic owning a computer while there are starving people is a sin, your income beyond the bare minimums of survival should be donated to charity.

While abrasive, my statement is true. If you look back in history the greatest inventions were brought about by research and capital investment; the inventions then increased the standard of living by providing both easier lives and a steady source of employment (look at the television, automobile, and airplane). These things could never have been developed without research. Those people without vision see a 2.5 million dollar waste, those with vision see 2.5 million dollars that will yield billions in end user products.

Perhaps a less myopic view is a necessity? Even blunting the potential possibility with reality, you must recognize that this research will pay for itself. Perhaps the next time you get an MRI (NMRI to those unafraid of proper terms) you will concede the value of extremely powerful magnets.

I think from your perspective 2.5M is not a really big deal but for me, being in a different state of mind because I am in a very poor country, that amount could do something big. I hope you understand me because I understand what you want to point out.

Last edited:

specks

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software WinXp
~RAGE~

Perhaps reading the other comments might lead to a little bit more insight:

Human beings are mostly water. While there is hemoglobin in the blood, we are mostly a diamagnetic polar molecule (H2O). This means that we could, given a supremely powerful magnet, be levitated.

Iron in the human body is generally bonded with oxygen in a hemoglobin molecule. This means it plays little role in magnetic interactions. To put this in perspective, MRIs would not work if we had copious amounts of unbonded iron in our blood. The comment about Magneto sucking iron out of you, through strong magnetic fields, would be a painfully appropriate analogy.

That is why in my previous post I said "somebody correct me if i'm wrong". I may not be as intelligent as you and others that is why I accept to be corrected.

Anyways, thanks for the info.

Processor e8200 3.93mhz@1.264v
Motherboard P5E3 Pro
Cooling Scythe Infinity
Memory 4gb of G.Skill Ripjaw 6-7-7-18@1404 and 1.62v
Video Card(s) HIS 5770 v2 940/1275mhz stock volts
Storage 1TB Hitachi
Display(s) Acer 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Blue Cooler Master Centurion
Audio Device(s) Onboard audio :(, and Klipsch 5.1 Pro Media's
Power Supply 650 Watt BFG
Software Vista 64 Ultimate

How about the movie "The Core"?

xXSebaSXx

DON'T YOU SEE THE IMMENSE IMPORTANCE OF FURTHER MAGNETIC RESEARCH IN REGARDS TO YOUR BRILLIANT IDEA FOR THE ENORMOUS FAN THAT MAY(and I'd say "WILL") ONCE AND FOR ALL BLOW AWAY ALL OUR ETERNAL CONFLICTION???

...Think about it. Support the grants.

I can visualize that fan as I type this... It will be the Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-310000 and it will be equipped with 12 stators and each stator will have one of these magnets... It will spin at 300'000'000 rpm and will barely be able to cool the next iteration of Fermi cards. :D

It will spin at 300'000'000 rpm and will barely be able to cool the next iteration of Fermi cards. :D

Do you really want to go down that road ?

xXSebaSXx

Do you really want to go down that road ?

Would it make have made you feel better if I had said "it will barely be able to cool the HD6990"?

PS: Is fanboy-ism that strong around these parts that a simple joke at nVidia's expense gets feathers ruffled?

Would it make have made you feel better if I had said "it will barely be able to cool the HD6990"?
YESNo. why would I feel better ? I wasn't feeling mad or anything to begin with.

PS: Is fanboy-ism that strong around these parts that a simple joke at nVidia's expense gets feathers ruffled?

Nah, not much fanboism here (not much witnessed since I joined at least). People care first about performance around here. Don't get the wrong idea about this place because of an idiot like me :eek: .

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
This crap pisses me off. How about spending 2.5m towards something useful like an electric vehicle infrastructure that could be of benefit NOW rather then "hopes" that "one day" "some thing" may lead to the development of "some other thing"? Their making crap just to make crap. Bet he drives a nice car with those government grants. At least he can afford the gas. :)

what.. u dont want a super useless magnet?

Now the world has a new record. 100.75 T. Magnet scientists are feeling really happy!

Researchers at Los Alamos National Laboratory's biggest magnet facility have just met the grand challenge of producing magnetic fields in excess of 100 tesla while conducting six different experiments. The hundred-tesla level is roughly equivalent to 2 million times Earth's magnetic field.

The team used the 100-tesla pulsed, multi-shot magnet, a combination of seven coils sets weighing nearly 18,000 pounds and powered by a massive 1,200-megajoule motor generator. There are higher magnetic fields produced elsewhere, but the magnets that create such fields blow themselves to bits in the process. The system at Los Alamos is instead designed to work nondestructively, in the intense 100-tesla realm, on a regular basis.

Congrats and well done. It can lead to other discoveries.

In recent experiments, said Mielke, "the new magnet has allowed our users and staff to pin down the upper critical field of a new form of superconductor, discover two new magnetically ordered states in a material that has eluded scientists for nearly 30 years, observe magneto-quantum oscillations in a high temperature superconductor to unprecedented resolution, determine a topological state of a new material, and discover a new form of magnetic ordering in an advanced magnetic material."

This technology has a good potential for science

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120323094033.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I am having a *woosh* moment here; how is this dangerous to people? Humans aren't magnetic, are they?

Not a lot, but the human body does have iron in it, like the hemoglobin in your blood which your body needs to move oxygen throughout your body. So it is kind of important. Iron is also one of the most abundant elements in the universe.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Not a lot, but the human body does have iron in it, like the hemoglobin in your blood which your body needs to move oxygen throughout your body. So it is kind of important. Iron is also one of the most abundant elements in the universe.

We are made up of star stuff afterall. So no surprise that the most abundant elements in the universe make us up.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Iron is also one of the most abundant elements in the universe.

Just missed being in the top 5. Iron is number 6, and is approximately one quarter as plentiful as Carbon (number 5).

In a less nit-picky fashion, 100 T is nuts. At that strong of a magnetic field every single atom is influenced by that magnetic force. I'm waiting for them to announce that these kinds of fields will make cold fusion a reality. I can dream, no?

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I am having a *woosh* moment here; how is this dangerous to people? Humans aren't magnetic, are they?

I think that would be gravity, not a magnetic field.

This magnet would probably be helpful in destroying bra clasps...

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
http://solomon.as.utexas.edu/~duncan/magnetar.html

The strongest magnetic field that you are ever likely to encounter personally is about 10^4 Gauss if you have Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan for medical diagnosis. Such fields pose no threat to your health, hardly affecting the atoms in your body. Fields in excess of 10^9 Gauss, however, would be instantly lethal. Such fields strongly distort atoms, compressing atomic electron clouds into cigar shapes, with the long axis aligned with the field, thus rendering the chemistry of life impossible. A magnetar within 1000 kilometers would thus kill you via pure static magnetism --

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
I think that would be gravity, not a magnetic field.

This magnet would probably be helpful in destroying bra clasps...

more like rip the clasps through the bewbs-lungs-etc if the person is facing the magnet.

Scientists build another crazy magnet:

http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/physicists-build-ultra-powerful-accelerator-magnet

This 1.5-meter-long model, which is a fully functioning accelerator magnet, was developed by scientists and engineers at Fermilab, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, and CERN. The magnet recently underwent an intense testing program at Fermilab, which it passed in March with flying colors. It will now undergo a rigorous series of endurance and stress tests to simulate the arduous conditions inside a particle accelerator.

The magnets currently inside the LHC are made from niobium titanium, a superconductor that can operate inside a magnetic field of up to 10 teslas before losing its superconducting properties. This new magnet is made from niobium-three tin (Nb3Sn), a superconductor capable of carrying current through a magnetic field of up to 20 teslas.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Oldie but goodie thread. Subbed ;)

Question... how many T's is typically produced by an MRI?